Thread: Cheap (but good) KISS Carbine

Feedback Score

Cheap (but good) KISS Carbine

I wanted a to add a KISS carbine to my collection and had been contemplating buying a complete LMT lower and LE6920 Magpul upper from G&R. It would have been easy, push two pins in and I would've had a great carbine for under $900. Or, I could've waited and done a PSA build kit for a little cheaper, but I had already built two of my sons rifles with PSA uppers. While they have been absolutely great guns and I really like PSA's product, I wanted something different for myself.

Well, I thought about it too long and everyone was out of stock.

I ended up going to the local gun show and actually came across a good deal on a pistol I had wanted, so I picked it up. On the way out I came across a new stripped S&W M&P15 lower that was unbelievably priced the same as the cheapest I could find on the internet, so I grabbed that up to.

My original intent (since I spent a good portion of my black rifle money on a pistol) was to replace the DPMS lower on my 8 year old son's carbine (16" PSA CHF complete upper) due to a tight mag well that won't drop 30rd PMAGs.

I would then use the DPMS lower to create the absolute cheapest POS I could put together with new parts for the exclusive use of my unheeding "just as good as" and "parts are parts" buddies or anyone else for that matter to use/try as a loaner/range gun.

So I ordered a ZM4 barrel w/FSP from DSA for $110 and went looking for a cheap BCG to go with it. I was astounded that crap BCGs were about the same price or more than good ones. Still not having found the elusive cheap BCG I got a back order notice on the DSA barrel.

That is when I decided to change vectors. I immediately called DSA and canceled the order. I then set out to build the best KISS gun I could, as cheaply as possible, without using a PSA kit.

And this is what I came up with; the M&P15 lower I had just gotten for $115, PSA LPK - $49.95, Aero Precision stripped upper - $59.99, Aero Precision UPK w/CH - $32.99, Colt LE6920 complete barrel assembly - $265, Daniel Defense BCG - $135, Bravo Company Mfg Mil-Spec stock mounting kit - $55.95, Matech BUIS - $50, S&W M&P15 M4 stock and PSA M4 handguards - FREE (new take offs from previous builds).

I had wanted to use a G&R LPK, but they were out of stock. I can't complain about the PSA LPK though. This is the third PSA LPK I've used and as with the previous two it had quality parts that went together easily. With the variances in GI FCGs I got lucky again as the trigger, as with the previous PSA LPKs is crisp with very little take up. The selector switch is also excellent, with smooth operation and nice positive clicks.

For anyone that wants to say anything about the free furniture keeping the price this low, I could've gotten a cheaper lower and bought furniture for the difference. That would keep the price about the same.

Sorry for the crappy pics. Tried to get pics of the staking on the BCG and receiver extension nut as well as the M4 feed ramps and barrel markings, but I couldn't find the right setting on the camera and they were all blurry.

Suffice it to say, the DD BCG is staked properly as always, the feed ramps line up perfectly. I got lucky with how the receiver extension nut lined up and was able to stake it at three points. And for anybody that cares the barrel is marked C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7.

Grand total - $763.88!

I have to say that this is a fantastic KISS rifle that proves you can do so much better than the Oly/DPMS/Bushmaster/et al crap for the same price or less even if you don't do a PSA kit.

I plan on keeping this rifle in a KISS configuration with the only accessories being a sling and a white light. I may also, sometime in the future, decide to put an Aimpoint PRO on it.

I will be taking it to the range to sight it in and run a few hundred rounds through it tomorrow and will post the results afterwards.
    Last edited by ac130usnsr; 03-23-12 at 20:10.
    "You can run...but you'll only die tired." - Spooky

Feedback Score
    Nice setup for the price!
    I did kinda the same thing, blemished BCM lower and a BCM upper and MOE furniture and a Magpul sight I had from another rifle. It's my woods truck gun. KISS
    Thinkn about a Vortex red dot now...
    Last edited by TunaFisherman; 03-23-12 at 23:58.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For up close shots with your camera you're looking for macro mode. Every camera I've ever seen shows it as a tiny little flower.

Feedback Score
    For up close shots with your camera you're looking for macro mode. Every camera I've ever seen shows it as a tiny little flower.
    Yep, couldn't find it because the camera I was using doesn't have it.

I'll see if I can find a better camera.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Let us know how it works out for you.

Rock on.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    Looking good, I hope it works well for you. Report back with the range results.

Feedback Score
    Well, just got back from the range. A short day. Only 300 rds total for sighting and shooting. Took 3 rds to get it on paper @25yds (was shooting low). Tweaked it a bit then zeroed at 50yds for what should be close to zero @200m. Won't know for sure until I can get to a range with longer lanes. Max today was @100yds.

After zero, moved to 100yds and shot off-hand (The range I went to today does not allow kneeling or prone.). Not too bad, 5-7 MOA 10 shot groups. Tightened it up a bit by sitting with support hand elbow on the bench. Brought me in to about 3-4 MOA 10 shot groups. Wish I'd had a sling. All-in-all I was satisfied.

Obviously the rifle can out shoot me. Next time I'll bring some sandbags and better ammo to see how much better I can do. But with LC M855 and a BUIS I am more than happy with the results.

Again, only 300rds LC M855 with PMAGS, but zero malfunctions. Need to get about another 1500-1800 rds down the pipe to be sure, but I think this one's a keeper.
    Last edited by ac130usnsr; 03-25-12 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    I did a similar setup with parts I had laying around. RRA 16" upper with an SOT (new company in florida) stripped lower. BCG was a cheapo semi style. I think it came on my RRA upper. UTG folding rear sight, and cheap M4 style furniture. Build cost was about $590

Works great and this is what I let my buddies shoot instead of my nicer AR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tact.medic View Post
    great idea. a cheap ass ak might fit the bill too lol.
    Last edited by primeform; 03-28-12 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tact.medic View Post
    I did a similar setup with parts I had laying around. RRA 16" upper with an SOT (new company in florida) stripped lower. BCG was a cheapo semi style. I think it came on my RRA upper. UTG folding rear sight, and cheap M4 style furniture. Build cost was about $590

The difference is I used all new parts and for ~$170 more I have a hard use, reliable weapon of known quality.

For $40 more than what you spent you could have done a complete PSA kit (new) and been far better off.
    Last edited by ac130usnsr; 03-28-12 at 18:10.