Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPQ

Feedback Score

Walther PPQ

Mr. Vickers, have you shot/examined a Walther PPQ yet? If so what are your thoughts on it as CCW pistol.
    Last edited by MAUSER202; 03-25-12 at 08:54.

Feedback Score
    I handled it briefly at SHOT show this year- no trigger time behind it yet so I will withhold judgement at this time

Be safe

LAV

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Any updates? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Just got one in 9mm - so far I am very impressed; the trigger is the best I have ever felt on an box stock striker fired gun

I am going to run it exclusively for awhile to really shake it out but this could be the best gun of its type on the market today - it has serious potential

Stay tuned

LAV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sir,

On the topic of the PPQ, I've put a few thousand rounds down mine and become aware of a few issues that, if you are carrying a PPQ, you may be able to comment on ...

1. Do you feel the PPQ's recoil is overly sharp, and is this an issue compared to similar 9mm guns?

2. Do you feel the PPQ's SLIDE release is too pronounced or just enough?

3. Have you noticed an increase in required force to insert a full mag on a closed slide?

4. I am curious what sights you were running, or would like to see, on the PPQ.

Thank you sir.
    Last edited by Army Chief; 08-07-12 at 13:09. Reason: Original text asked about SLIDE release, not magazine. (Post was edited by two different Mods - didn't catch the error.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    Just got one in 9mm - so far I am very impressed; the trigger is the best I have ever felt on an box stock striker fired gun

I am going to run it exclusively for awhile to really shake it out but this could be the best gun of its type on the market today - it has serious potential

Stay tuned

LAV
    Thank you Mr. Vickers, looking forward to hear your opinions on this pistol.

Feedback Score
    Just got a bit of trigger time with the PPQ and here is my initial thoughts;

1) very accurate
    2) had a bit more snap than a Glock or M&P which I attribute to slide velocity; slide cycles very fast- still manageable
    3) trigger is superb for a striker fired pistol and is already getting even better
    4) magazine release is very easy to use
    5) seating a fully loaded mag is no problem
    6) muzzle flip is not an issue

I have no aftermarket sights yet for it- I like the gun and I am going to run it as my primary for awhile to really shake it out- limited ammo so far but zero malfunctions

Be safe

LAV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    4) magazine release is very easy to use
    Sir,

My question before it was edited was about SLIDE release. You advocate some guns have an extended slide release, do you feel the PPQ's (and P30's) longer lever is an appropriate amount of an extension or to the point where it can get in the way (being held up or down) by the strong hand thumb while firing?

Do guns like the P30 and PPQ just simply require extra grip attention to keep the thumb entirely away from that lever? Is this a flaw or a wash compared to the benefit of having very easy to hit slide lock reloads?

Thank You Sir.
    Last edited by JSantoro; 08-08-12 at 07:27. Reason: Do what you're told, spare us the editorial.

Feedback Score
    I don't like the overly extended lever on the PPQ or P30 but it is easily worked around by obtaining the the correct grip which keeps the thumb well away from it during firing

Feedback Score
    So far I have been very impressed by the PPQ - I am currently using it as my primary training pistol in order to really shake it out - it has been 100% reliable so far and incredibly accurate; in fact one of the most accurate pistols I have ever fired

This gun has the makings of a serious winner

I'll keep everyone posted as things progress

LAV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anything special that might contribute to the PPQ's above average accuracy? Grip, barrel, action, lockup, trigger (obviously)?

I ask because the very similar P99 while a nice handgun never got the same attention or reports of great accuracy. Thank You sir.

Feedback Score
    I think it is a combination of features as it is in most pistols - obviously Walther did their homework as they have put a combination together that so far no one else has been able to do ; HK has the potential with the P30 if they ever did it in a striker fired format but so far that is just rumor - no hardware

Next thing I am going to tackle is the sights; I have the Meprolight nite sites on my PPQ but after using the Trijicon HD's on my Glock's I ain't digging the Mepros at all

Gonna see if my bro Dave Bowie can do a custom install of some sights for me

I'll keep you posted

LAV

Feedback Score
    What holster do you use for the Walther PPQ?

Your dislike for the Trijicon HD sights is due to the rear sight?

Walther in the PPQ manual says that +P+ ammunition should not be used. What are your thoughts on that?

Do you recommend the PPQ especially for left-handers and anyone who switches hands regularly due to the permanent ambi mag & slide release?
    Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills.
    - Historian Josephus (AD 37-101) on the Roman military

Feedback Score
    Sir,

My take away from your answer is that you prefer Trijicon HD's over the Meprolight sights. Do you use the yellow or orange front sight? Is there a specific reason for your choice or is it a matter of personal preference? Thank you for your time and service to our country.

Bill
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    I use a Raven Concealment holster and mag pouch with my PPQ as well as my other training guns - I think Grant at G&R has the PPQ Raven holsters in stock last time I checked

I use the yellow/green HD front site whenever possible

The PPQ is 100% ambi and is just as easy to use for a lefty as a righty

LAV

Feedback Score
    Curious to learn your overall impression(s) of the PPQ now that you've had some time with the pistol.

Feedback Score
    So far thumbs up with the PPQ- accurate, reliable, and the best trigger on any striker fired gun on the market

The PPQ has all the makings of being a winner

LAV

Feedback Score
    So far thumbs up with the PPQ- accurate, reliable, and the best trigger on any striker fired gun on the market

The PPQ has all the makings of being a winner

LAV
    Mr. Vickers

Are you still using the Meprolight sights?

I'm curious if you are aware of any new sight options that will be available on the market soon?
    Last edited by balance; 10-03-12 at 15:33. Reason: misread an earlier post

Feedback Score
    I'm still very impressed with the PPQ - I only teach with it on occasion as I sell Glock parts and Glocks are the most common pistol I see in classes so unless something develops in the sponsored shooter area with the PPQ ( which is possible ) I will continue to only use it part time

I think it is the best new polymer frame striker fired handgun to come on the market in quite awhile; I really like the HK P30 and the PPQ addressed the only real issue with that pistol - the trigger

Honestly my only complaint is a lack of aftermarket sights - the gun is a winner

Feedback Score
    Larry,

Let's assume for a second that you did not have those inherent business ties to Glock pistols and that Trijicon came out with the HD sights for the Walther PPQ. Would you then pick it over the Glock 19 for EDC?
    Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills.
    - Historian Josephus (AD 37-101) on the Roman military

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast