Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded my Gen 3 G19 for a M&P 9

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Traded my Gen 3 G19 for a M&P 9

I broke down today and traded in my Gen 3 G19 (myk prefix) on an M&P 9. The G19 has been flawless for well over 1500 rds and was an accurate shooter, but I just couldn't get the hang of staying consistent in my shooting with it. I come from a 1911 background and am far from being a pistolero, but I found myself getting sloppy too early in my shooting sessions and was having problems with the gun working it's way out of my hands as I was shooting, no matter how hard I tried to maintain proper technique. I'm hoping the M&Ps grip angle and style will help me in correcting some of this, but I'm wondering what some of you guys think.

Feedback Score
    I think it was a bad call to trade in your G19. IMO its the best 9mm ever. There are soooo many holsters,22lr kits etc.. for it.
    I feel people tend to jump around on guns too much. Buy a gun, shoot it a lot. keep it.. shoot it more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy j View Post
    I broke down today and traded in my Gen 3 G19 (myk prefix) on an M&P 9. The G19 has been flawless for well over 1500 rds and was an accurate shooter, but I just couldn't get the hang of staying consistent in my shooting with it. I come from a 1911 background and am far from being a pistolero, but I found myself getting sloppy too early in my shooting sessions and was having problems with the gun working it's way out of my hands as I was shooting, no matter how hard I tried to maintain proper technique. I'm hoping the M&Ps grip angle and style will help me in correcting some of this, but I'm wondering what some of you guys think.
    While I am partial to Glocks, I dont really see anything wrong with you trying out the M&P. You shot 1500 rounds before doing it, so it seems you gave it a fair shake. And it's not as if you traded it in for a High Point, the Smith is a good to go platform.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some of us never fully mesh with the Glock's ergonomics. I never minded the grip angle as many complain about and I went back and forth between Glocks and 1911s since 1991. My biggest dislike was that I never felt that I shot the platform as consistently as some other platforms. This applied mostly to the G26/27 and G19/23 as I never had any issues with my G20 or G35. The G35 felt a bit awkward but it was very accurate and consistent for me.

Several years ago I got rid of all of my Glocks. I immediately had separation anxiety and ran out and bought another G23. I still take it to the range several times a year to see if we can make it work together. I even took it to a training class recently. Worked great for that course although it was all close range work. My 25 yard work with the Glock still lacks the consistency that I get out of my 1911s, H&Ks and M&Ps. No reason to fight it forever. Some platforms just work better for each of us than others. I am trying to standardize with all M&Ps as they seem to offer the most features that work for me.
    I hope the M&P works well for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy j View Post

I love my M&P's, I have 5 of them now with plans for more. I also own 1911's and feel almost guilty for preferring to shoot my M&P's more. I carry a few of my 1911's on occassion, but my primary ccw has been my M&P40c. I just picked up another M&P9c, planning to carry it more, it has night sights and some pretty aggressive grip stipeling. I'll get some intensive training with this one for a while and get myself comfy with it but know I have tried a few glocks and still prefer my M&P's. Heck I just got a LGS fix friday after work, most of the handguns were packed up and headed to a gun show but there were still quite a few Glocks in the case, so I decide to fondle a few and no matter what I tried, just did not feel remotely comfy with them in hand. I have big hands, the compact frame felt too small and the full size frame felt too big and bulky... shoot the heck out of that M&P and I'm sure you'll find yourself a keeper.
    Jack C.
    cleaned up my gun list for Odie, hope this makes you feel better.. is my target ok? I
    can delete it too..

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Congratulations. Once an open minded glock owner is introduced to the better balanced and better ergonomics of the M&P, he/she usually either trade for the M&P or add one to their collection.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacti-cool View Post
    I think it was a bad call to trade in your G19. IMO its the best 9mm ever. There are soooo many holsters,22lr kits etc.. for it.
    I feel people tend to jump around on guns too much. Buy a gun, shoot it a lot. keep it.. shoot it more.
    So one is to...

1. Choose based on accessory availability
    And
    2. Shoot and keep the first handgun purchased without question

Come on

OP, good job getting into something you find more appealing. If its comfortable for you and your preferences , you're more apt to shoot it more and establish some proficiency.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I feel a little better about having made this trade in now after hearing what you guys are saying. While I was confident that I needed to give the M&P a try, there's a bit of paranoia about it simply because the Glock is such a reliable and proven pistol. It wasn't easy for me to make this switch and I've debated on it for awhile. The final straw for me was when out shooting the other day with a friend he had me try out his new to him 1911. It is built on a WWII Remington Rand. I had already put several hundred rounds downrange with the Glock and was not happy with my performance and the issues with the grip I was having when he comes over and says 'try this'. I put one mag downrange and it was better than the several hundred i'd shot with the Glock with none of the issues I'd had. I said to myself that now was not the time to get back into the custom 1911 game, but a polymer gun with 1911-esque ergos might be in order.

Feedback Score
    The magic in a 1911 is in the trigger. The stock M&P does not have that trigger. I have also noticed the G17 fits my hand differently than the G19.

edit: Make sure and take all the backstraps to the range when you shoot the M&P. I found the small and medium were more comfortable but the large worked better for me despite it being the least comfortable.
    Last edited by windellmc; 04-01-12 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    Congrats!!

I went the other way I suppose. I picked up a M&P9c in trade for one of my Glocks and don't like it all that much. I even put a Apex DCAEK/Ram kit in it and still don't care for it. Something about the trigger and I aren't bonding. So I'll most likely trade it for a G26.

Good luck...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast