and now this
    Walther PPQ
    "People talk 45. shoot 9mm and carry 38." Jeff Cooper
    now it would be - "People talk G19, Shoot G34 and Carry G43"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

To date 9mm GLOCKs for social work.

For fun and just cause I keep a semi-auto .22lr and a .357 Magnum/.38 Special.

Under stress finite motor skills are going to hone in on such things as placement of controls (safety mechanism, hammers, de-cockers, the lack thereof, etc.) the last thing I want if I find myself in a stressful situation is to manipulate (or not) the wrong thing in the wrong location at the wrong time.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I used to have several platforms, but I recently decided to consolidate. I went from Sigs, XD's, and Glocks to just Glocks. In order to be able to use nearly the same magazines, I only have G19's and G26's.

I also used to have pistols of many different calibers, but now I have gone down to only 9mm and .38.

I can keep a stockpile of 9mm and G19 Mags on hand and that will feed all of my combat oriented pistols.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    You're pretty much the same as me. I only shoot Glock 19s and 1911s.

I carry a Glock 19 and train with one, but I shoot my 1911s when I get bored with my Glocks (not hard to do after 10+ years).

I know I'm in the minority, but I just can't fathom how anyone could [practically] shoot a 1911 so much better than a Glock.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1911s, but when it comes down to actually runnin' the gun, I almost hate 'em. I think the Glock grip angle is one of the best things goin' for it.
    I feel pretty much the same way except after more than a decade of Glocks primarily, I still marvel at their efficiency and fun factor. I've owned ten 1911s but only one now. It's the finest of the ten, a full custom build, a phenomenal shooting gun, but aside from slow fire precision, I no longer can outperform a Glock with it - "running the gun".

Although I've ownd BHPs, a P7, Sig P220, S&W 2nd gen, M&P, they're all gone now. It's Glocks, one 1911 and the legacy revolvers which are hardly ever shot.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am really envious of the guys with the time and money to be proficient with more than one system platform. I shoot once a week or more and am still not happy with my proficiency with the one gun I shoot. In fact, I'm even mostly swearing off the AR in an effort to get better with my Glock.

I admit, I don't get the "fun" of shooting a gun just to shoot it. I get people all the time at the range that say "check out my new gun, want to shoot it?" who seem shocked that I don't want to. Maybe if I get a chance to run it through a course of fire or a drill where I've already run my own gun so I can compare my performance, but otherwise...

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Only one platform - consolidated and sold off allot of different handguns years ago and decided to keep my H&K's that could be setup the same. (Match LEM / Heinie sights / 9mm and .45) I found the same trigger setup and feel combined with the same sight picture has helped me become more proficient with them.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I was a charter member of the "New WunderNine of the Month Club" back in the early '90's (and then Wunder10mm, Wunder.40, and so forth...), but after 9/11, decided to standardize on the 1911 in .45, and the AR15.

I still have an AK (truck gun) and a PTR91 (because I miss my old HK91, and when I bought it, the .308 AR was still in the 'experimental' phase), as well as a few .22's (one a bolt action, for my young sons) for cheap training purposes.

I look at firearms more as "tools" than "toys/gadgets" these days, so when I buy/build one, I need it to serve a purpose, as opposed to, 'take up space' in my safe. But I too, miss my good ol' single days - before AWB's, marriage, kids, house payments, car payments, a responsible job, and the like! DEFINITELY enjoy it while it lasts!!!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    I like to accumulate various weapons and fire them. I don't care what type of a projectile weapon it is. It can be a throwing knife, to a slingshot, to a bow and arrow, to a modern firearm, I just enjoy it and have had the fascination from my earliest memories. Heck I have a general fascination with weapons, projectile or otherwise.

While I like to shoot and / or own a variety of handguns, I try to remain highly proficient with a few main types such as Sig Sauer, Glock, 1911's, Beretta M9's, S&W 5906 and revolvers as the majority of my student base use these types of handguns. 40S&W, 9mm, .45ACP are the calibers that I shoot the most of and in that order.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being a collector or general enthusiast and shooting many weapons recreationally. However when it comes to your primary use for a weapon (especially defensive purposes) your purpose based training or the majority of your shooting should be narrowed to a primary and secondary set up IMO. Now if your primary purpose is competition and you are a 3 gunner, well you will add a third.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Unless you only own, carry, and shoot one gun then you already answered your own question. Now you are just talking about matters of degree. Buy what you want.
    Last edited by DWood; 03-26-12 at 10:37.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    I use glock 19s for my social pistols. I have a hi power I have just because. Sold most everthing else. For super concealability I have a kahr and a kelttec 32, but they get carried very little. I can conceal a 19 about 99.9 percent of the time in the pac northwest.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast