Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do NVGs have a place in your preps?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Do NVGs have a place in your preps?

I am wondering if anyone else has invested in a good set of NVGs for their preps. Comms are my next big purchases, since food storage at this location is not really an option, but wondering if after comms NVGs should be on my list or not.

Anyone had any experience using PVS-7 or 14s with rechargable batteries? Are Gen1/2 systems even worth the trouble?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I consider NV a must have in are prep's both weapon mounted and hand held. NV is truly a tactical advantage if used correctly and will allow you to ID and engage hostile threats before they ever see you.

I consider a late Gen 2 unit the bar minimum for hand held and it really depends on the manufacturer if the unit is import junk or a decent close perimeter scanner.

Nothing less then a Gen 3 unit for weapon use and once again it depends on manufacture.

Expect to pay for a quality units but if it saves your life once then the NV was worth its weight in gold.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a set of 7deltas that are part in my pack now. As soon as I can afford one, I plan on getting a PVS-14 as well. Night vision is wonderful once you've got bitten by the bug.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not really a "TEOTWAWKI/Zombie planner", but I do consider NODs to be an invaluable citizen defense tool, since I do feel citizens should be prepared and be able to take responsibility for themselves. I want a setup at least as capable as what I'm issued as an Infantryman. Quality rifle, LAM, quality weapon lights, optic, NODs, Ballistic helmet, armor setup, etc...

I was on the verge of buying a PVS-14, already had a DBAL^I2 and some Vampire weapon lights, but I hit a "temporary monetary setback".

I personally would get NODs before COMs, but I also don't have anyone I'd need to talk to during a disaster.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCBA_Joe View Post
    I'm not really a "TEOTWAWKI/Zombie planner", but I do consider NODs to be an invaluable citizen defense tool, since I do feel citizens should be prepared and be able to take responsibility for themselves. I want a setup at least as capable as what I'm issued as an Infantryman. Quality rifle, LAM, quality weapon lights, optic, NODs, Ballistic helmet, armor setup, etc...

I was on the verge of buying a PVS-14, already had a DBAL^I2 and some Vampire weapon lights, but I hit a "temporary monetary setback".

I personally would get NODs before COMs, but I also don't have anyone I'd need to talk to during a disaster.

Aah yeah Art15 gets you every time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes they do. I have a pair temporarily assigned to me from my work but as soon as I can afford a pair I will have to sets. Depends on your line of work but you might even be able to write them off on taxes as a non-reimbursed work expense.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    I would think if you are serious about your preps, especially in terms of Home Self Defense (and more-so if you live in the country), you would be considering (or already be in ownership of) some kind of NVG.

My set-ups are based on budget:

1. Set of Gen1 NV binocs

2. Gen1 NV Rifle Scope

3. May consider 1 more unit.

IMHO - Gen1 is better than having nothing at all, if that is all you can afford to "start" out with.

The problems with Gen1 is that they are limited; you have common fish-eye viewing & smaller field of vision, and pretty much can't see alot (especially distance-wise) - without some kind of ambient light. Commercial variant Gen1 is very reliant on auxilary IR to extend reasonable & useful viewing distance (which can also allow you to be detected by others - from the illuminated IR unit).

Add some ambient light and its amazing how much the performance and usability of a decent Gen1 unit improves. The positive reviews that you will see on Gen1 set-ups are always based on their use with ambient light conditions and/or additional aux. IR lighting.

Aside from low budget units, the best option are the 14's. You really cannot go wrong if you stick to Gen3 or Gen4 PVS-14's and can afford its cost within your Prep and SD budget.
    Last edited by NHCraigT; 03-18-12 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    yes I want it Bad!!!!! ever since i had my first go at a NVG in the Military I just stood there for a minute Like a Kid in a candy store it was amazing and the advantages it offers is out weighs the cons.

I just can't afford a good unit .I have seen the hand held units for under 200.00 in some of the hunting rags .are these even worth having? it could be good for checking the area your in But I doubt it would hold up to any serious use.

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    http://www.tnvc.com/reviews/

Check out TNVC's comparison of different nvg generations.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Sure do. I bought a used TNVC D300MS from a member here 2 years ago and it will do until I can afford a Night Enforcer. The pics in the generation comparison guide do not do these units any justice, that said, I can't imagine what a Night Enforcer will look like.

Here's a video I took awhile back with my cell phone in your typical suburb. Out in the country with a new moon is when you can really see the limitations without any external light source. Chances are if these ever had to be put to real use there wouldn't be any electricity.

On a one way range with a 0.5mw and 2mw ir laser and no/little moon it's good for about 100-200 yards max. I ran this behind my Acog with the pinhole cover on it, a cheap IR led bulb for my Surefire g2 and was hitting 100 and 200 yard steel targets like it was nothing.

I have no problems seeing the 0.5mw so the 0.7mw from LDI's units wouldn't be an issue at all. Quite frankly I can't see much of a difference between the 0.5mw and 2mw settings on my unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dblEa...RSxT2KvymHTMA=
    Last edited by Caeser25; 03-18-12 at 17:16. Reason: video
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast