Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st AR 15 Build

Feedback Score
    Looks like a nice little set up. I've considered going with a piston, but just haven't done enough research on them one way or another to make a good call...yet that is. Please post up how it runs when you shoot it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepwr View Post
    I assumed, and maybe I was wrong, that this forum is for information and for rookies like myself to learn. As in all other things in life you dont learn or become and expert overnight. I dont assume buying my 1st AR15 is any different.

Seems like there are a lot of strong opinions on here and other forums. Thanks for your reply, if I took it out of context then my apologies.
    Yes, this is a great site for information, but it requires that you spend some time reading the material here. I perceive that you weren't looking for information in your first post...you were posting some pictures of the brand new rifle that you bought and looking for validation.

Oops...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I guess my post seems more reserved now!
    Wow fellas!

OP, best advise that I can give you is to read.
    A lot.
    Use the orange search button.
    A lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Tough crowd here... It's OK... Finish it up and head to the range.. When these guys start paying for your toys, you'll need to do as they say.. LOL.. Otherwise you're GTG.. Cheers..Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    OK, let me get this straight...

You have been shooting for only a few months, and your "extremely knowledgeable" friends consist of a Frontsight instructor (cough) and a guy that sells guns to cops...

You just completely lost me...

First, I can tell you from personal experience that Frontsight is a scam, as are their instructors. I wouldn't take their advice if my life depended on it, and to think that one of their instructors is "extremely knowledgeable" about AR-style rifles is quite a funny thought...

As for the guy that sells guns to the local PDs - generally, gun dealers don't know a thing - they talk big, but in a majority of cases they haven't a clue as to what they are talking about.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you need to consider the sources. You come on here acting all high-and-mighty because your "buddies" told you to get an op-rod rifle, and get all defensive when you are told that an op-rod is a solution looking for a problem. What you need to understand is that many of the posters here have years of experience with small arms, and their opinions are based in experience rather than the "theory" that many "instructors" and "dealers" operate on...

Personally, I have experience with op-rod driven carbines. At best, they do nothing better than a DI rifle, and at worst they can develop issues that a DI rifle wouldn't...

Wow, where do I begin....I almost cant believe I'm even expending the effort to reply to this.
    Delta Sierra: Get THIS straight, dude you need to slow your roll. You obviously took things out of context, are assuming (not good) you know things that you could not possibly know and are enjoying yourself in attempting to bash me. My "extremely knowledgeable" friends in my opinion have plenty of knowledge for what I need.

You thinking I came on here all high and mighty is whats funny, personally I feel I did not in any way act high and mighty. Defensive? Uh yeah maybe a little, because Jamokes like you get off on stroking their own ego's and feel a self satisfaction from thinking you have the chance to bang on someone. You want to be productive and give some feedback then do so, you want to mash on someone and criticize for self satisfaction then pound sand! All you've done is prove my thought of most of these forums being something I will probably avoid, because of people like you.

Ive only been shooting for a few months huh? Right right, Ive only been shooting for a few months, NEVER shot a gun until 3-4 months ago....mmhhm, yep, complete greenhorn rookie honyock, wasnt even sure which end to point at the target but thankfully I watched a few cartoons and ol' westerns and took some notes.

I feel horrible DeltaSierra, that I...."lost you".....dangitt! So, my "extremely knowledgeable" friends, according to you, dont know squat. Hmmm, okay, I'll let them know that some dude on M4Carbine.com is now my Obe Won Kenobe and I wont be asking them anything, ever again, never ever, cuz ya know, they are cheeseballs and unworthy. I mean hey YOU know right? YOU obviously have the ability to determine that a Frontsite Instructor that also sells to multiple Police Dept's (same guy not 2 people dude), another friend that has built 6+ AR's (only 6? tssk tssk, what a loser) and another friend thats built about 20 AR's over the last 12+ years, are an unknowledgeable and unreliable source for a rookie like me. Okay, I mean if YOU say so then so be it Obe Won.

The decision I made on my rifle was mine, I took into consideration the opinions and preferences of the people I talked to and what I researched.....then I made MY choice. No one TOLD me to get a Piston gun, I chose to. I'd like to hear you tell a Frontsite Instructor that they are not knowledgeable let alone extremely knowledgeable and find it funny that someone would think so.....Your opinion not mine. But I guess you know each and every Instructor and every consultant to each and every Police Dept right? And they all are unworthy to advise a greenhorn like me. Right!

One thing I have noticed in these last few months is that there are a lot of different opinions and personal preferences in the AR15 world. I had some reservations about these forums as I had seen enough bashing and bs being thrown around and people getting testy and criticizing each other that I was hesitant to even join and post anything. And here we are with my 1st post and here come the sharks. I can take criticism and appreciate help and opinions, but no one, myself included, needs to let their ego loose and be an ass. If your motive is self driven then go play in traffic.

I cant believe I have lost 5 minutes of my life replying to this.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yes, this is a great site for information, but it requires that you spend some time reading the material here. I perceive that you weren't looking for information in your first post...you were posting some pictures of the brand new rifle that you bought and looking for validation.

Oops...
    I agree, great site for info. Wasn't aware there were requirements and no was not looking for info in my first post was just posting some pics of my "worthless" build. Was not looking for validation either bud, just excited about the new gun and put some pictures up, nothing more nothing less. I wasn't aware there were requirements and if the Custom Build Forum was the wrong local for my post then my humble apologies. First day on here so please forgive my mistakes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Tough crowd here... It's OK... Finish it up and head to the range.. When these guys start paying for your toys, you'll need to do as they say.. LOL.. Otherwise you're GTG.. Cheers..Ron
    Lol, wheeew, tough crowd is right, like a pack a wild hyenas swarming in on a crippled gazelle!
    I'll keep an eye out for the contributions/financial support.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    Thanks! I havent even figured out how to navigate this site, appreciate the help.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    You obviously didn't do enough research. (At least not on this forum.)
    Piston ARs are a solution looking for more problems.
    In other words, they are not worth the money.

Who knows what that upper is really chambered in.
    What is the barrel made out of?
    MP and HPT tested?
    Bolt material?
    Shot peened and MP/HPT tested?

Your front BUIS is also backwards.It is ill advised to place a polymer BUIS near the gas block.
    You may also want to take that contraption off of the bolt catch. They tend to cause problems.
    That was the first thing I saw out of the whole series of pictures. Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

Serioously dude, get your panties out of a wad and listne to the folks here.

WTF is the deal with these BRAND new guys coming on here and starting shit?
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 03-30-12 at 21:50. Reason: ??
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepwr View Post
    Wow, where do I begin....I almost cant believe I'm even expending the effort to reply to this.
    Delta Sierra: Get THIS straight, dude you need to slow your roll. You obviously took things out of context, are assuming (not good) you know things that you could not possibly know and are enjoying yourself in attempting to bash me. My "extremely knowledgeable" friends in my opinion have plenty of knowledge for what I need.

You thinking I came on here all high and mighty is whats funny, personally I feel I did not in any way act high and mighty. Defensive? Uh yeah maybe a little, because Jamokes like you get off on stroking their own ego's and feel a self satisfaction from thinking you have the chance to bang on someone. You want to be productive and give some feedback then do so, you want to mash on someone and criticize for self satisfaction then pound sand! All you've done is prove my thought of most of these forums being something I will probably avoid, because of people like you.

Ive only been shooting for a few months huh? Right right, Ive only been shooting for a few months, NEVER shot a gun until 3-4 months ago....mmhhm, yep, complete greenhorn rookie honyock, wasnt even sure which end to point at the target but thankfully I watched a few cartoons and ol' westerns and took some notes.

I feel horrible DeltaSierra, that I...."lost you".....dangitt! So, my "extremely knowledgeable" friends, according to you, dont know squat. Hmmm, okay, I'll let them know that some dude on M4Carbine.com is now my Obe Won Kenobe and I wont be asking them anything, ever again, never ever, cuz ya know, they are cheeseballs and unworthy. I mean hey YOU know right? YOU obviously have the ability to determine that a Frontsite Instructor that also sells to multiple Police Dept's (same guy not 2 people dude), another friend that has built 6+ AR's (only 6? tssk tssk, what a loser) and another friend thats built about 20 AR's over the last 12+ years, are an unknowledgeable and unreliable source for a rookie like me. Okay, I mean if YOU say so then so be it Obe Won.

The decision I made on my rifle was mine, I took into consideration the opinions and preferences of the people I talked to and what I researched.....then I made MY choice. No one TOLD me to get a Piston gun, I chose to. I'd like to hear you tell a Frontsite Instructor that they are not knowledgeable let alone extremely knowledgeable and find it funny that someone would think so.....Your opinion not mine. But I guess you know each and every Instructor and every consultant to each and every Police Dept right? And they all are unworthy to advise a greenhorn like me. Right!

One thing I have noticed in these last few months is that there are a lot of different opinions and personal preferences in the AR15 world. I had some reservations about these forums as I had seen enough bashing and bs being thrown around and people getting testy and criticizing each other that I was hesitant to even join and post anything. And here we are with my 1st post and here come the sharks. I can take criticism and appreciate help and opinions, but no one, myself included, needs to let their ego loose and be an ass. If your motive is self driven then go play in traffic.

I cant believe I have lost 5 minutes of my life replying to this.....
    Well, you certainly got off on the wrong foot...

You obviously don't understand that working in the firearms industry equals being a "very knowledgeable" individual.

I was simply trying to help you out, and you fire back like an irritated little kid... Speaking of ego.....

You are given good advice, and instead of asking questions, you get all wrapped around the axle...

I might add that I didn't need to assume much - I've seen your kind before. You roll in here, don't pay attention to good advice, and yell when someone has the guts to call you on your actions....
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 03-30-12 at 21:41.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast