Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing a Turd aka: Question about my issued RRA Carbine

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)

Polishing a Turd aka: Question about my issued RRA Carbine

I'm issued a RRA Carbine at work. It is a flattop model that has the rear sight attached to a section of picatinny rail that covers the entirety of the flattop receiver. Here's a link to the rear sight/rail thingy (http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_id=318). I can't remember what uber fancy tactical sounding name they have assigned to this particular model.

We are allowed to install a non-magnifying optic so long as it is either an Aimpoint or an Eotech. I'm leaning towards an Aimpoint and would prefer to have a lower 1/3 co-witness. Can anyone tell me how this section of picatinny rail attached to the rear sight will effect the height of an optic?

I have seen some lower 1/3 mounts for the Aimpoint Micro's but am worried that with this rear sight set up my optic will ride too high. I guess another option would be to just set the optic up as you normally would for a direct co-witness and deal with the little bit of extra height the rail provides.

Thanks
    Last edited by operator81; 03-21-12 at 19:13.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To attempt to answer your question, I don't know how much the height the RRA sight adds to the rail on the upper receiver, so I don't know what mount height would be correct for the particular optic you choose.

Does department policy allow you to change the rear sight? I'd personally want the flexibility that a standard rear sight (like a Daniel Defense A1.5, Troy rear sight (fixed or folding), LMT, LaRue, or KAC) would offer. That way you're not dependent on your rear sight to determine how your optic co-witnesses with your irons.
    Last edited by SteadyUp; 03-21-12 at 19:29.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    What a drag...Good Luck Though

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Check out the Larue combo deals. They have 3 different heights. If you call them Larue can probably tell you exactly which mount will work best for you. It's what they do.

I just got a 2MOA T-1 from them. Perfect, as usual.

H

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Steadyup: Dept policy does not allow us to change anything. I can't even add a light...at least not yet.

Halmbarte: didn't think about Larue, I'll have to give them a call.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I would go with a mount that would normally put the optic at absolute cowitness. The built in riser will bump it a little higher.
    I don't know exactly where your irons will be, but they won't be cluttering up your dot and should still be contained within the optic tube.
    Those mounts were originally used with absolute cowitness EoTechs to provide a buis and a riser in one unit.

Don't lose sleep over having a RRA.
    Good buddy of mine has worked for the Capitol Police as a firearms instructor for a long time, and they were using RRAs (at least as of a couple of years ago). I only know of one that had chamber issues (though their contract specified 5.56 chambers, so it appears that one slid through) with M855.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Thanks for the info F2S, I'll give that a shot. Worst case scenario I try a mount and can exchange it if it doesn't work. Not worried about the RRA as a whole. Mine has been fine thus far, I'm just a tad of a gun snob and the State doesn't think I should be .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Try to get your armorer to sign up on here!

Feedback Score
    You should be happy you are being issued a patrol rifle. The Department I work for is still screwing around with the lawyers to try and get rifles into the hands of the officers. They've been argueing for 3+ years now with no end in sight.
    Last edited by devinsdad; 03-22-12 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Dominator mount uses a GI-type A2 rear at the standard height. The mount is optimized for use with Eotechs. Eotechs without the integrated riser are absolute co-witness. As noted on the RRA site, the Dominator raises the Eotech slightly out of absolute cowitness. Another absolute co-witness optic/mount combo could be expected to perform similarly. Whether it would be a true lower-1/3 I don't know.

My first choice in optic would be an Aimpoint T1 or H1. For co-witness, in an LT751 mount.

Unless they've changed, the Dominator mounts held a long rail on with only a couple of screws. I would verify stability. I'm also not keen on stacking mounts in general. If you do, loctite the screws, torque it good, make witness marks, and watch them closely.

Hope that's helpful.
    Last edited by ST911; 03-22-12 at 11:08.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast