Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your SCAR tips, tweaks, tricks, and odd bits here

Feedback Score
    Its easy to clear malfunctions like this. Of course you can use your right hand to clear a malfunction.

Tap and rack with left hand. If this doesnt work then you quickly lock back the bolt, drop the mag and look into the chamber. (Your view maybe slightly blocked by your CH, but I doubt it.) You then clear the malfunction accordingly just as you would a normal rifle.

If you must use the CH to press the bolt forward all the way due to a lack of a forward assist, you simply use your right hand to press forward.

I prefer this method because I can do it quickly, and most importantly, I wont accidentally hit my hand on the CH (not a whole lot of room for support hand). If I had a PWS extension Id put the handle on the left, but I like it how it is. Im quite good at AK style manipulations.

Feedback Score
    Pulling the charging handle back with the hooked index finger of the left hand and poking the thumb of that same hand out to lock the bolt back at the rear of the charging stroke is the most fluid and intuitive manual of arms I have ever experienced with any weapon system.

That charging handle on the left side is a quick weapon status indicator for me.

Handle forward means GTG, handle to the rear means you are empty and handle in the middle means you start your malfunction drill immediately.
    Last edited by Labayu; 03-01-14 at 00:40.

Feedback Score
    That makes good sense Labayu. I'd put the CH over on the left side IF I had one of those PWS rail extensions. Then I could get my hand further down the rifle and wouldn't worry about accidentally hitting the CH with my hand. But alas, no rail extension.

Feedback Score
    Does the Midwest Industries SCAR extension rail only require the factory bolts for installation?

Feedback Score

SCAR QD RL SLING MOUNTS from Impact Weapons Components!

Impact Weapons Components SCAR 16 with our new QD RL SLING MOUNT's, now shipping and available here: http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...ont-left-rear/

[IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Labayu View Post
    Pulling the charging handle back with the hooked index finger of the left hand and poking the thumb of that same hand out to lock the bolt back at the rear of the charging stroke is the most fluid and intuitive manual of arms I have ever experienced with any weapon system.

That charging handle on the left side is a quick weapon status indicator for me.

Handle forward means GTG, handle to the rear means you are empty and handle in the middle means you start your malfunction drill immediately.
    Agree with all of this.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had trouble removing the gas piston in the past so I use an allen wrench.

I keep a small "allen wrench" stuck through a foam ear plug (the plug just keeps the wrench in place) in the buttstock battery compartment. Basically, you stick the short end of the wrench through one of the ventilation ports in the receiver, and use the bolt carrier to "tap" against the allen wrench which drives the piston out easily.

Feedback Score
    Good to know... another way to ''crack a nut".

I have just found in my storage....a shop magnet (super duper strength) I 've not used it... but other say.. it will draw the piston out enough to grab it.

Gotta try it tho.
    Amateur Shooter... Professional Accumulator // Don't do anything Stupid; Don't let Stupid do anything to You.
    TAKE YOUR TIME......... IN A HURRY.

Feedback Score
    Just a couple of things I've learned:

If it sticks, I use a brass cleaning rod to nudge the piston forward enough to grab it.

If you have access to an ultrasonic bath cleaner, USE IT. You can get the whole URA cleaned out better than you could by hand - were it completely disassembled first.

While not SCAR-specific, Froglube PASTE in a 10cc syringe + blunt (irrigation) needle = surgical lube placement.

If you use rail-mounted sling attachment points, don't hesitate removing the front OEM loops; if you run a PWS or MI rail and "C" clamp the forend with your support hand, your palm will thank you. So might the gear that wouldn't fit "right" before they were removed. It's not a one-way trip, either; you wanna go back, replace the part.
    Last edited by parapyropig; 04-21-14 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    How are you guys mounting your sling to your SCAR?

I have a Blue Force Gear sling but have read somewhere that hooking it to the mounts on the rifle wears them out fast. Is the Impact Weapons mount the way to go...or...those thin steel cord nylon covered things the way to go?

THANKS!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast