Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPQ Fires Out-Of-Battery with Improper Magazine (??)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Walther PPQ Fires Out-Of-Battery with Improper Magazine (??)

Just a heads-up for you PPQ shooters. A friend was shooting a match with a PPQ, and had a far-out-of-battery kaboom during a COF.

I was not there when this happened and discussed it with him only briefly, so I apologize that I do not have all the details.

From what I understand, a round jammed into the ejection port and as immediate action he smacked the bottom of the mag and the round went kablooey. From the looks of the case, which had mushroomed out way down close to the rim, the gun was nearly all the way out of battery when the round went off. Apparently no damage to the gun, either.

As near as we can figure, the round was jammed between the ejection port and the mag, and part of the magazine impacted the primer and set it off. The aftermarket mags are somewhat different at the feed lips from the factory mags.

Again, sorry about the lack of detail, just thought I'd give a heads-up. Might be a decent idea to stick with factory magazines.
    Last edited by bulbvivid; 08-19-12 at 09:41. Reason: I out a word.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbvivid View Post
    Just a heads-up for you PPQ shooters. A friend was shooting a match with a PPQ, and had a far-out-of-battery kaboom during a COF.

I was not there when this happened and discussed it with him only briefly, so I apologize that I do not have all the details.

From what I understand, a round jammed into the ejection port and as immediate action he smacked the bottom of the mag and the round went kablooey. From the looks of the case, which had mushroomed out way down close to the rim, the gun was nearly all the out of battery when the round went off. Apparently no damage to the gun, either.

As near as we can figure, the round was jammed between the ejection port and the mag, and part of the magazine impacted the primer and set it off. The aftermarket mags are somewhat different at the feed lips from the factory mags.

Again, sorry about the lack of detail, just thought I'd give a heads-up. Might be a decent idea to stick with factory magazines.
    How so? The bullet itself was facing out of the ejection port?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    How so? The bullet itself was facing out of the ejection port?
    Again, I'm lacking details here, and it doesn't help that it was during a match, so the diagnosis is just a guess, because it all happened quickly. You know, gun doesn't go bang, head for tap-rack-bang, gun goes boom on tap.

The round likely was nose-up and canted in the open ejection port and hung on the side of the port and the feed lip on the mag. The feed lip on the mag was bent and seemed to match the impression on the primer. Cursory initial inspection showed no damage to the gun.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

Feedback Score
    This is what rumors and legends are made of.
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 08-19-12 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    who manufactured the magazine? I am sure that data is available.

No round in the chamber? Weapon not close to battery? What happened at that point? Where did the loaded round trapped in the ejection port come from? The chamber? The magazine? Dropped in from above?

Something doesn't sound right. I think your buddy had some sort of DFO.

Now let's talk about how it went bang. Sure wasn't KB.

Go figure.

Fred
    Semper Fi * * * Stupid Should Hurt

“To lead untrained men in to war, is to waste them.” - Confucious

“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Hey guys, you can take it for what it is.

My friend owns the range where I shoot, has run matches for years, and is an accomplished shooter and gunsmith. The round went kaboom, likely from a corner of the feed lip impacting the primer. It happened, whether you want to believe it or not.

You can take the info for what it's worth. If you don't want to believe it happened, then drive on. I'm not trying to spread rumors, just giving a heads-up to PPQ owners.

If you shoot a PPQ, you might want to stick with factory mags. Then again, you might not. More power to you.

If I'm not mistaken it was a Magnum Research mag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey guys, you can take it for what it is.

My friend owns the range where I shoot, has run matches for years, and is an accomplished shooter and gunsmith. The round went kaboom, likely from a corner of the feed lip impacting the primer. It happened, whether you want to believe it or not.

You can take the info for what it's worth. If you don't want to believe it happened, then drive on. I'm not trying to spread rumors, just giving a heads-up to PPQ owners.

If you shoot a PPQ, you might want to stick with factory mags. Then again, you might not. More power to you.

If I'm not mistaken it was a Magnum Research mag.
    As someone who a PPQ, and the MR mags as well as factory mags, I have one of each in front of me as I type this..Looking at both in the feedlip area, as well as anywhere else on the mag, It would appear that they are in fact, identical..other than the finish,and the color of the follower. I doubt it's a issue with the MR mags, but rather, a very unusual fluke, If this happened with MR mags, it could probably happen with factory mags as well. At this point I'd say it was just a very unusual accident..
    Last edited by ralph; 08-19-12 at 10:12.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I doubt it's a issue with the MR mags, but rather, a very unusual fluke
    Not entirely positive it's a MR mag, but I was under the impression that they are the only ones that will work other than factory. I very well could be wrong. I looked at both mags side by side and there were differences in the feed lips.

I'm a-gonna holler at him later and try to get a little more info.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not entirely positive it's a MR mag, but I was under the impression that they are the only ones that will work other than factory. I very well could be wrong. I looked at both mags side by side and there were differences in the feed lips.

I'm a-gonna holler at him later and try to get a little more info.

Well, if there are differences in the feedlips, it must have been something he did, I'm looking at these mags right now, and they are both the same....The factory PPQ mags, and the MR mags are both made by Meg-Gar..in Italy One other possibilty is, that he was using a early P-99 mag in it, the early P-99 mags have a different feed lip that is about 1/16th or so higher that the PPQ mag, Later (more recent) P99 mags were changed, and are interchangable with the PPQ.. The PPQ and MR mags have always been identical.
    Last edited by ralph; 08-19-12 at 10:42.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Not to be a dick but there is no other way to say it this info is useless ! Some guy said bla bla bla you were better of not posting it at all with the lack of first hand knowledge.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast