Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: New M&P Shield in 9mm & 40S&W

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have no problem locking the slide to the rear on my Shield.

Feedback Score
    Presence/absence of magazine and safety on/off doesn't impact slide lock on the Shield, correct?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay35 View Post
    Presence/absence of magazine and safety on/off doesn't impact slide lock on the Shield, correct?
    Make sure you pull the slide back far enough.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Couple of comments.

The dual recoil spring has stages to it so like another poster said, make sure you retract the slide fully. There is a "hitch" to the slide travel because of the progressive spring system.

I took photos of the sear housing block for inquiring minds. Please note, the sear present in the photos is not the factory sear, it is a spare Pro sear i had lying around. I am in the process of experimenting with the gun to see what parts it will take.

Trigger thoughts.

For anyone that thinks this trigger is "good"...uh..meh.

It is a step in the right direction but it still sucks. The triggers are VERY gritty and VERY heavy out of the box. My sample was reading 6.5 lbs before i started to dry fire it.

Smith STILL hasnt gotten the clue that their striker safety plunger geometry sucks whale balls. You can feel the grit and the hitch as the trigger bar rides over the plunger. Now, having said this, due to the new geometry on the trigger bar AND the physical trigger itself, pre travel is lessened so the overall feeling is better since you're not crunching through as much travel.

The best part about this revision if we can call it that is the physical trigger. The new hinge makes the pre travel FEEL significantly shorter so prepping and pressing through your break is awfully easy with this thing.

The next best part is the fact that a dimple has been added to the trigger bar which puts tension on the bar as it rests underneath the sear. There is also something else at work here that is contributing to the slightly more forceful reset. Is it a Glock? No, but the trigger now resets with a little more authority. I dont care if i "feel" it, i just want the trigger pushing against me rather than hanging anemically in space like on a factory M&P.

The gun has a lot of potential but Apex parts are still a HUGE boon to the platform.

More to come as i get more time on the platform.
    Last edited by Magsz; 04-23-12 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I thought the trigger was very workable and the money spent on more Apex stuff would be better spent on ammo.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I thought the trigger was very workable and the money spent on more Apex stuff would be better spent on ammo.
    I would agree, especially in the role of a BUG. I had no problem running the dot torture clean at 5yds with it. I also found that dry fire work with this trigger makes a great training aid for my Glock's...

I hope people don't end up trying to make this gun something it's not...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    I would agree, especially in the role of a BUG. I had no problem running the dot torture clean at 5yds with it. I also found that dry fire work with this trigger makes a great training aid for my Glock's...

I hope people don't end up trying to make this gun something it's not...

There is that too... Do I want a 4# Apex trigger in my pocket?

I am just fine with a slightly heavier trigger on a gun that is sized just right to really lock it the **** down. Small guns, to an extent, are much easier to clamp in your hands negating the heavier trigger.

Sack up and just shoot it.

Feedback Score
    I think I see what the lock-back catch problem was now: The slide lock doesn't line up with the groove in the slide that I thought it should, like it does with most guns, where the lock fits up into the visible groove. Instead, the lock position is actually further forward in an indeterminate spot with no visual cue. Weird. Maybe an M&P thing? I've not handled one before.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay35 View Post
    I think I see what the lock-back catch problem was now: The slide lock doesn't line up with the groove in the slide that I thought it should, like it does with most guns, where the lock fits up into the visible groove. Instead, the lock position is actually further forward in an indeterminate spot with no visual cue. Weird. Maybe an M&P thing? I've not handled one before.
    Correct, the same as my other M&P's. Much different than my Glock's.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Im sorry guys but this is not necessarily a BUG. It is whatever you make it and BUG or not, why would you NOT set the gun up for success?

Why fight a trigger if you dont have to? The gun weighs 19 ounces, you CANNOT dispute that a 6.5 lb trigger makes it harder to shoot. Im sorry but fundamentals are exercised in a critical incident, they are NOT practiced during that time...

Most of you guys sit here and talk endlessly about which connector you run in your Vampire Slaying Evil Doer Defeater Glock yet we cant talk about modifying a gun of this size? Puhlease.

I appreciate the pep talk and i will harden up, tough it out and work on my ninja rolls and tactical backflips.

Or...i think i am going to make this gun as shootable as i WANT to make it so long as there is no compromise in reliability. The DCAEK comes to mind and works marvelously in this capacity while providing a 5.5 trigger for those of you worried about "light" triggers.

Yeah...my observations still stand

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast