Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: New M&P Shield in 9mm & 40S&W

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now I've got to decide between this and the compact. I think I'd rather have the compact but this seems like a better option for when I'm in dress clothes. Decisions decisions....
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Now I've got to decide between this and the compact. I think I'd rather have the compact but this seems like a better option for when I'm in dress clothes. Decisions decisions....
    heck, no you don't !!... buy em both..
    Jack C.
    cleaned up my gun list for Odie, hope this makes you feel better.. is my target ok? I
    can delete it too..

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I did, just picked up the 9c and was out shooting the shield yesterday.
    First mags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by SkyLine1; 04-17-12 at 12:31.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I have both. the compact makes a great gun in a holster but too big for pocket carry. I like that it can take FS 17 rd mags with the X-grip mag adapters.

the Shield is just small enough that it can be carried in a pocket.

has anyone sourced a suitable pocket holster for this yet???
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

S&W M&P9 Shield trigger comparison

Stock
    • Rough like Ralph Malph
    • 7.5lbs
    • .200" over travel
    • .300" to reset

ATEi
    • Smooth as Fonzi :thup:
    • 4.5lbs
    • .04" over-travel
    • .125" to reset

Video Link----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEmdH-oXjq8
    Last edited by dougwg; 04-17-12 at 18:21.
    Doug Holloway
    ATEi

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I hope the m&p sights fit the shield, i have a spare 10-8 rear sight or m&p and a factory m&p night sight front sight to try to fit when my shield arrives. Has anyone attempted to swap sights on the shield yet??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I caved and bought one. A shop 15 minutes from my house had one in stock and I made the mistake of driving over there and holding it.

Initial impressions (I just got it an hour ago):

- Very slim and very comfortable in the hand. I can easily get all four fingers around the grip with the larger magazine (average-sized hands). My pinkie finger barely dangles off of the grip when using the "flush" fitting magazine.

- I don't care for the thumb safety necessarily but it's not really in the way for me either. Fits pretty much flush to the frame and has a very "positive" feel when engaging and disengaging.

- Trigger did not feel as mushy/spongy as my M&P 9 FS (which I sold to get a PPQ). This trigger unquestionably has a much more noticeable reset which is audible.

Last edited by zibby43; 04-17-12 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    I bought the 9mm for my wife today. Impressions before shooting it: very comfortable, lightweight, concealable, nice trigger,and looks great. Not that it matters.

We put 100 rounds through it today with no malfunctions. 115 grn Federal white box. The gun handles great for a small 9mm. I shot 4" groups at 10 and 15 yards with it, non supported. My wife surprised me and shot it very well , putting everything in the 8 ring and better from 10 yards. She hasn't shot in 5 years. I'm proud of her, and with more practice this will be her CCW gun.

My only complaint is after I fired the first shot, the white paint in the front sight disappeared. We picked up a set of M&P mepros for it, which we planned on doing any way. Besides that, I would HIGHLY recommend this for anyone looking at it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Who will be the first to stipple the hell out of it?
    Fact of life:

Although the EAGLE may soar proudly through the skies, it is very rare for the Weasel to be sucked into a jet engine.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Sharpshooter USA (indoor range) in Roswell, GA has a SHIELD for $420. I was able to handle it and dry fired it. I definitely have mixed feeling about it. I may buy one, when the newness is worn off and the price is stable. The two salesmen and one of the owners tried to get me to buy it, saying it wouldn't last long. I said I'd take it for $400, they gave me a quick no. I told him that I'll be a nice guy and leave it for the next customer.

The grip is thin and feels good. With the finger rest magazine, the gun fills my hand and I have full control of the grip, which I like. With the flat bottom magazine, my pinky hangs below the front of the grip. That is a disappointment. I was hoping that S&W would make a grip that is the same length as the G19/23 without the use of the silly finger rest. Overall, it's not bad.

The manual thumb safety is useless. I couldn't operate it with my shooting thumb. I had to use my support thumb to flip it on or off. Again I say, why did S&W put such a device on this kind of gun. I would just leave the silly thing in the "off" position and shoot/carry the gun like a normal Glock or M&P. The trigger is heavy enough that I feel safe doing so. Which now lead us to the trigger.

The trigger on this one sample was gritty and heavy. The worst M&P pull I've ever felt. It is acceptable for close range shooting. I wouldn't shoot head shots at 25 yards with it. If I get the gun, I would definitely install an APEX hard sear.

I wouldn't carry it as a pocket gun. I would be for either conventional IWB or appendix or OWB. My long time companion J-642 will still be my pocket or ankle gun.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast