Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: New M&P Shield in 9mm & 40S&W

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert0989 View Post
    Who will be the first to stipple the hell out of it?
    Guy on AR15.com posted pics of his totally stippled Shield on Friday.
    Last edited by stmcelroy; 04-17-12 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert0989 View Post
    Who will be the first to stipple the hell out of it?
    evnash has that covered.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took my new Shield to the range today. It shot well for what it is. I managed to keep most shots in a 3" orange ball at 55 feet. When I tried to shoot at any longer ranges, my grouping was inconsistent and all over the place. I was happy with that considering that I never felt that I shot thin guns all that well and this has the 6.5 pound trigger.
    If this had a usable ambi-safety like my other M&Ps, I would install the Apex FSS and trigger but without a usable safety (I am a lefty) I think this trigger will suffice.

When I finished with the Shield, I shot my M&P 9MM compact with the FSS and trigger kit. I have only fired my M&P 45s recently and I was very pleasantly surprised how well my 9MM compact shot. At 25 yards, I shot a target that has two (approximately three inch) orange balls on it (spaced apart vertically by perhaps 18 inches or so). A double target. I fired one 17 round magazine of Sellier and Bellot at each orange ball. The results on each ball were almost identical.
    The top target had all rounds within six inches and ten of the rounds were inside of the orange three inch ball. The bottom target also had all rounds within six inches (by my Leatherman scale) and nine of the rounds were within the orange ball. I was thrilled with this as I didn't even realize that I could do this, unsupported with this little gun.

I already appreciated the ease of carry and concealment, lightweight, relatively high round count, and speed of the trigger on this gun but until I compared it to my Shield, I didn't realize how perfect I think my 9 compact is. I think the Shield will be a fun range gun and good for days when I have a bad back-ache but the M&P 9MM compact and my M&P 45s will still remain my main carry guns.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A very good option for those who wear tailored suits. I'll be purchasing one in the near future.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    A very good option for those who wear tailored suits. I'll be purchasing one in the near future.
    Well put Irish.............................

Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a couple of free hours today and the urge to take my new PPQ and Shield back to the range again. Yesterday I left the range after firing the Shield for the first time feeling that it was a good shooter but I could have lived without it. So I shot about three boxes of Walmart Federal 115 grainers through the PPQ before I switched to my Shield. Today I wasn't keeping the rounds in the three inch orange ball at 55 feet as well as yesterday, so, I thought I should call it a day.

I couldn't resist my urge to try the Shield out at 25 yards thinking perhaps the "Aim small miss small" thing would work out. Surprisingly, it did. I shot three and a half eight round magazines of the same Federal ammo and all of my groupings were within six inches, strung out mostly vertically and the misses were almost all above the target (3" orange ball). I hit the ball itself nine or ten times.

This was all done taking my time in slow fire mode. I walked away today thinking what an accurate, good shooting and natural pointing little gun this thing is. I can tell this is going to be a favorite range gun for me. It was a bit of work to maintain the proper technique to hit well at distance but the gun is plenty accurate and rewards you if you do your part. Seems like a good gun to practice for accuracy with.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I picked up my M&P Shield 9mm today. I fired 50 rounds of PMC 115 grain ball ammo. I also fired 25 rounds of Federal HST 124grain carry ammo through it with zero issues. This is a nice easily controlled soft shooting 9mm as you would expect from the M&P line. I will say the trigger is pretty nice as well, its crisp with less travel than a standard M&P full size. The reset is decent, but nothing as snappy as the glock, but again its there. Rapid fire was easily controlled with this gun. I predict S&W will sell the SHIT out of these little blasters!

I was a little bit dissapointed. I mic'ed the rear 10-8 sight on my full size M&P 9mm and the rear sight on the Shield. The 10-8 rear is going to be to "wide" to fit the Shields dove tail by about .020 of an inch. The 10-8 Rear sight mic'ed at .860ish and the factory rear sight of the Shield mic'ed right at 0.820. I am a big 10-8 rear sight fan, so I will either file down a standard M&P9mm 10-8 rear or just wait and see if they make a rear sight for this application...as of now I doubt it. But I emailed Mr. Yam anyways and asked if they would produce a 10-8 rear sight for this application.

So Here are a few pics, comparison with my BG380 and a full size M&P 9mm.

M&P Shield vs BG380

Top View

All 3 width pic

M&P 9 10-8 Rear Sight Width

M&P Shield Rear Sight Width

All 3

BG380 on top of the Shield

A few shots at the range...

Last edited by cttbax; 04-18-12 at 16:41.

Feedback Score

Another score!

Picked mine up this evening from Colonial Shooting Academy. Looking forward to range time at the new facility. Thanks, Tim!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I picked up one yesterday. The trigger is stiff, every bit of 6.5#, if not a tad bit more. I won't get a chance to shoot it till Tuesday. I'll try to measure the trigger pull before it gets shot. The reset, while better than the original M&P, still isn't as pronounced as the Glock. But then, I've never had issue with the standard reset.

M&P triggers tend to lighten up with use, usually about .5#. My agency ordered a T&E, but it's not expected to arrive just yet. When we got the T&E M&P9's, they came with NDA's about 8 months before the first M&P was for sale. so for me to go to my agencies range with a Shield before they can get a T&E fells kind of weird.

After reading so much about the safety lever, both pro and con, I was surprised at the safety on my sample. It isn't all that stiff to engage or remove. I can disengage it with my thumb. But with the way it sits in the frame, I can not see how it could inadvertently become engaged while carrying the gun.

I'll never use the safety when carrying the gun, but I still like the option of having it. Just as when I used to carry a 3913 for an off-duty gun, I like having a safety if I have to temporarily set the gun somewhere, such as a glove box, under a car seat, in a drawer, ect.

When I first handled the gun at the store, it felt ok. Not earth shattering, just ok. But the more I handle it, the more it grows on me.

I took it to work last night and showed it to various officers, many of which the only gun they possess is their issued M&P9. I could have sold a dozen of these things in about an hour.

I think that so long as S&W doesn't screw this one up, they will dominate the subcompact market with this gun.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    any leads on a pocket holster for this gun???
    never push a wrench...

Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast