Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: New M&P Shield in 9mm & 40S&W

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have a custom one in the works by a respected maker, I will show it when its done.

As well as other options and mag carriers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cttbax View Post
    I was a little bit dissapointed. I mic'ed the rear 10-8 sight on my full size M&P 9mm and the rear sight on the Shield. The 10-8 rear is going to be to "wide" to fit the Shields dove tail by about .020 of an inch. The 10-8 Rear sight mic'ed at .860ish and the factory rear sight of the Shield mic'ed right at 0.820. I am a big 10-8 rear sight fan, so I will either file down a standard M&P9mm 10-8 rear or just wait and see if they make a rear sight for this application...as of now I doubt it. But I emailed Mr. Yam anyways and asked if they would produce a 10-8 rear sight for this application.

Let us know what he says
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spent some time dry handling a 9mm Shield the other day. I'll have one to shoot in a week or two. First thoughts:

• Small, light, and handy. Reminded me of a 3913 in form factor.
    • Felt like what I thought a thinner G26 might.
    • Trigger is better than a standard M&P, with less of the engineered mush. Still an M&P trigger, however.
    • 3-dot sights were decent enough for an OEM standard offering.
    • Safety was recessed enough to make operation of the lever deliberate, but I still wonder about inadvertant activation.
    • Points well.
    • Size efficient.
    • Right sized ankle gun. May be a little tall for pocket carry (pending).
    • Affordably price pointed, even at retail.

I want to see an accelerated wear test and a torture test by a disinterested party.

S&W will sell a lot of these.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-19-12 at 22:19.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    any leads on a pocket holster for this gun???
    Leather? I'll probably build myself one like my Diamondback 9mm holster, smaller the better with this gun.

Last edited by stmcelroy; 04-19-12 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post

has anyone sourced a suitable pocket holster for this yet???
    www.talontactical.com / Mike Benedict in Jasper, GA will be making pocket as well as belt holsters for the Shield.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    www.talontactical.com / Mike Benedict in Jasper, GA will be making pocket as well as belt holsters for the Shield.
    yeah, I spoke to mike (online at least) but looking for something soft right now. I'll go see him when he gets the kydex done. I always seem to have more holsters than I use...

I'm kind of wondering if anyone knows which model Desantis Nemesis might work. these are cheap and work good.
    Last edited by ra2bach; 04-20-12 at 11:30.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Fondled one yesterday.

Agreed with others that the trigger is a little bit better with a faint reset. Still not a great trigger by any means.

Also, I don't think the safety would be easy to manipulate under stress....maybe after extended use it would break in, but it was very stiff and difficult to get a purchase on.

That being said, its in the lead for my next CCW gun.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A little holster info. My Comptac Mtac holster for my full size M&P fits the shield nicely! Very comfy and light on the hip.

The Pistol wear PT-ONE holster arrived today. I will be writing a review on this holster in a bit after I have logged a few miles of running and workout out with this holster on!!

Last edited by cttbax; 04-20-12 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNeanderthal View Post
    Let us know what he says
    Spoke with Mr Yam today.....There will be some sights for this pistol. That is all I know at this point. I will update when I know something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am about the last person I would have epected to bu y a new release Shield. But I was at the LGS for a totally different purpose and another guy asked about it and they had just put it on display like 5 min. ago. He and I looked it over and discussed it and I was very impressed with the trigger. He was going to come back tomorrow to get one of the five the store hand on hand.

I had read forum posts about a gritty trigger but this sample was very nice, better than my Glocks. I pretty much cannot resist a good trigger, so I did it.

The build quality seems very good for a $395 pistol. The trigger was excellent for a DAO, not as light as my 1911, but pretty darn nice. And it does not have the heavy take up of the PF9.

I was also surprised at the quality of the sights. They look the same as on other M&P pistols, both dove tailed and steel with white dots. Not what I expected for a near-pocket pistol and for under $400.

The mags seem good quality as well. Comes with one 7-rd flush and one 8-rd extended grip mag, both of sturdy stainless steel. Both seat easily with a firm rap. NO MAG SAFETY, yea! One thing I do not like, it will not release the slide on an empty mag. Not a big issue but I prefer how my Glocks work.

Speaking of safeties, the thumb safety is well done for a concealed carry piece, if you are going to put a safety on it. I did not buy the pistol for the safety and will not likely use it. It does release easily for me with a downward swipe of my thumb which catches it at about the knuckle. Release is firm but easily accomplished. However, to apply the safety I cannot do it with my strong hand, I have to use my support hand to get a better angle and more force. Again, not a big issue and I am glad they went with a low profile safety that works going off and sacrifice the less urgent putting safety on action.

Size is near perfect. The slide is about 1/8" thinner than a G27/G23. It is practically the same length as the G27, with just a little less of the rear slide. The grip is about half the thickness of a G27 and just 1/4" longer, about the thickness of the magazine bottom plate. With the extended 8-rd mag it is exactly as long as my G23. I can stuff it into my Wrangler jeans front pocket (no tight designers for this old guy) but it bulges enough it would be kind of obvious. It should be very thin for an IWB holster or an OWB that hold the grip close to the body.

I also liked that this is coming from a major US pistol maker so there should be a good market for holsters, mags, and it probably uses the already plentiful after market M&P sights. So it is not like buying an oddball model that will have $50 mags, and few compatible accessories.

I had no intention of buying this pistol but at $395 with all of it good features and good trigger I couldn't pass it up. We'll have to see how it performs at the range. So far, I think S&W hit a grand slam home run with the Shield. They rightly ought to sell millions of these as they obviously paid attention to the concealed carry market. There may be better pistols out there but not at this price and this quality and combined features.

Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast