Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: New M&P Shield in 9mm & 40S&W

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    In the unlikely event someone thought a barrel from a fullsize would fit. They will not.

Do the Apex triggers address the over-travel in the M&P's?
    Yes.

They most certainly do.

They move the sear engagement and break point to the rear of the frame.

Most Apex sears will break just shy of the built in over travel trigger stop on the inside of the frame.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm glad to hear about the upcoming Apex sears.

I finally found time to go to the range and shoot my Shield. Put about 180 rds of WW 147TMC, and Ranger T through the gun. No issues. The sights were well regulated as they came from the factory.

The recoil of the gun reminded me of the M&P9c, just with a tad less gun to hang onto when firing one handed.

I had done some dry firing with the gun during the last week. This in addition to shooting the gun smoothed up the trigger pull some. After shooting, I took the gun to our armor's work room and hosed the frame out with a parts washer, then blew it dry with the air compressor.

Doing this with a new Walther PPS helped get some of the grit out of the trigger of an new gun. Not sure how much this helped the Shield, but the trigger pull is fairly smooth for such a new gun.

While the trigger on this Shield is much smoother than on any other M&P I've handled with only 180 rds through it, I'm still not liking the weight of the trigger pull. My personal fs Duty gun and M&P9c have both had some attention to the original sears (pre-mim sears). This was prior to Apex bring their sears to market. Going from the trigger pull of either of these two guns to the pull of my Shield is a bit of a leap.

I can live with the reset of the Shield as it is. But if I could get the trigger pull down to 4.5-5.0 lbs, then this Shield would be perfect for my small gun needs.

Dano5326 Guest
    I really appreciate how thin the Shield is.

If S&W were to expand this format it wouldn't suck. A boon to concealed carriers and would probably a hit in the 10rd max states. Add an inch to the slide (for sight picture), and enough in the grip to get a 10rd magazine in it. With the taper magazine (not quite a double stack, but not a single.. 1.5 stack?) I think not much would be required. What a svelte piece that'd be.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If S&W were to expand this format it wouldn't suck. A boon to concealed carriers and probably a hit in the 10rd max states. Add an inch to the slide (for sight picture), and enough in the grip to get a 10rd magazine in it. With the taper magazine I think not much would be required. What a svelte piece that'd be.
    That is what i was originally dreaming for. A g19 sized single stack.

Some people dont really care about how thin a gun is but i do as i have no shoulders and am essentially a straight line. It makes concealing thicker guns more difficult.

The thinner the gun, the happier i am.

I am however, very pleased with the overall package that is the shield, i dig it for what it is.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

If S&W were to expand this format it wouldn't suck. A boon to concealed carriers and probably a hit in the 10rd max states. Add an inch to the slide (for sight picture), and enough in the grip to get a 10rd magazine in it. With the taper magazine I think not much would be required. What a svelte piece that'd be.
    I have been saying that forever regarding glock, specifically creating a fullsize G36. 45, Single stack, 5" or 4.5"model would be heavenly. Im hoping the shield is a glimpse of things to come for the single stack M&P genre.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I'm glad to hear about the upcoming Apex sears.

I finally found time to go to the range and shoot my Shield. Put about 180 rds of WW 147TMC, and Ranger T through the gun. No issues. The sights were well regulated as they came from the factory.

The recoil of the gun reminded me of the M&P9c, just with a tad less gun to hang onto when firing one handed.

I had done some dry firing with the gun during the last week. This in addition to shooting the gun smoothed up the trigger pull some. After shooting, I took the gun to our armor's work room and hosed the frame out with a parts washer, then blew it dry with the air compressor.

Doing this with a new Walther PPS helped get some of the grit out of the trigger of an new gun. Not sure how much this helped the Shield, but the trigger pull is fairly smooth for such a new gun.

While the trigger on this Shield is much smoother than on any other M&P I've handled with only 180 rds through it, I'm still not liking the weight of the trigger pull. My personal fs Duty gun and M&P9c have both had some attention to the original sears (pre-mim sears). This was prior to Apex bring their sears to market. Going from the trigger pull of either of these two guns to the pull of my Shield is a bit of a leap.

I can live with the reset of the Shield as it is. But if I could get the trigger pull down to 4.5-5.0 lbs, then this Shield would be perfect for my small gun needs.
    We will have more info regarding what the resultant pull weights with our spring combinations over the next few weeks.

-Randy
    www.apextactical.com

Feedback Score
    I dropped an Apex sear in my Shield along with an Apex plunger spring. The trigger pull went from 7.5 to 5.5 pounds.

I did not change anything else.

Mike
    www.talontactical.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey guys,

It has come to my attention that on some other forum, that my posts may be causing some confusion about our Shield projects.

First, let me say that while our sear and striker block seem to function in the Shield it has only been in dry fire cycling. We have NOT done any longevity and live fire testing. Those aspects of R&D are commencing now. Apex cannot publicly say that our parts work in the gun until we thoroughly test them.

Any time you introduce a part or parts into a new system, you introduce new variables that can have a deleterious effect. We need to be sure that our parts allow the gun to function reliably and with better characteristics than those provided by the stock components.

I am also working on a different trigger body because there are things about the factory version that I absolutely do not like.

-Randy
    www.apextactical.com

Feedback Score
    I did fire a couple hundred rounds through the pistol after the parts swap and there have been no issues with the M&P Shield either before or after I installed the sear.
    www.talontactical.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebenedict View Post
    I did fire a couple hundred rounds through the pistol after the parts swap and there have been no issues with the M&P Shield either before or after I installed the sear.
    Thanks Mike!
    www.apextactical.com

Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast