Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: New M&P Shield in 9mm & 40S&W

Feedback Score
    Most of you probably got the same email, but this was just released by APEX concerning the shield and their carry/duty and comp kits.

On April 13th, Smith & Wesson released their new M&P Shield. Since its release we've been inundated with requests for information about what Apex products will be available for the Shield. We've kept you all waiting for the last couple of weeks, so let's jump in to the Shield's similarities and differences in relation to the full size M&P.

What we know

When our Shield arrived here at Apex, it had a gritty pre-travel, hard break and relatively long over travel, yet a distinct reset. Upon detailed disassembly and inspection, we noticed the following parts interchangeable between the Shield and the full size M&P.

1.Sear
    2.Sear Spring
    3.Sear Plunger
    4.Striker Block
    5.Striker Block Spring
    6.Striker Block Washer
    7.Trigger Return Spring
    8.Striker Assembly
    9.Extractor Pin

That being said, our present M&P products were tested in the M&P Shield for function. We put a teaser on our Facebook page on April 25th, that we were testing our new M&P Shield Carry Kit (SCK). Claire, Jon and Scott took the M&P Shield to the Hogue Action Pistol range to fire the first 1000 rounds through the new M&P Shield in order to test our products for the release of the Shield Carry Kit and we will continue to shoot it more in coming weeks. The products we had installed in the Shield for that test were as follows:

1.Apex Hard Sear
    2.Apex Ultimate Striker Block Kit(USB Kit)
    3.Apex Duty/Carry Sear and Trigger Return Spring (DC Spring Kit)

Through 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass ammunition, the Shield performed admirably, feeding each round effortlessly with zero stoppages of any kind. The Shield was shot off hand with 2 hands, by left and right handed shooters as well as strong and weak hand only.

In the R&D lab, we tested the Shield with our Duty/Carry kit installed and it produced the same results as with the standard M&P series guns. The DCAEK took the trigger pull down from 5.75 lbs. with more than .110" over travel to 5 lbs. with .060" over travel, with a noticeably smoother uptake and crisper break.

The Apex Hard Sear and USB Kit were tested in conjunction with the factory springs in the Shield and we found the results to be the same as with other M&P models we've tested. The trigger pull was brought down to 4.25 lbs. with a smooth uptake and crisp break.

We do not recommend installing the Apex Competition Spring kit or Comp AEK into the M&P Shield as it is a product we feel is best kept with a trigger pull above the 4 lb. mark.

Newsletter Subtitle
    Month Year

Apex Products that DO NOT work in the Shield

The Apex Forward Set Trigger and AEK triggers do not work in the M&P Shield. The factory trigger in the Shield is narrower than the M&P triggers. We are presently working on a solid body polymer trigger to replace the factory trigger.

The Apex Failure Resistant Extractor does not function in the Shield. The Shield Extractor is much narrower than the M&P Extractor. We are uncertain at this time if the necessity will exist for a Shield model of the FRE, but we will certainly look into it as time goes on.

The Trigger Pivot Pin in our M&P Shield measures .130 in diameter, which is significantly smaller than the full size M&P. The slave pins we currently offer in our Kits, will not work in the Shield. We are working to produce a slave pin specifically for the M&P Shield which will be included in any kit that requires the trigger to be installed into the frame.

Other Notable differences

The frame rails on the Shield's locking block are certainly stouter than the M&P's. The Sear Housing Block has an additional piece of frame rail on its left side right behind the ejector, which is never a bad thing, the more frame rail surface you have, the better the lockup and overall durability. The frame also has a steel support at the front, just forward of the locking block, which we surmise adds rigidity to the frame to enhance durability.

Final Thought

The M&P Shield is a great little carry gun. Its magazine capacities of 7 and 8 rounds coupled with its slim line body and reliability make is a great carry piece.

To get the latest up to date information on the Shield Carry Kit and

other Apex products, Like us on Facebook, follow our Blog or sign up for our newsletter on our Shopping Cart.

Contact Information
    phone: 805-528-5250
    email: guns@apextactical.com
    RIP Robert Gore- RIP Amos Nelson WIA BJ Jackson- 186 MP Company
    \Iraq 03-04/
    \Iraq 07-08/
    Everyone exists...some people live

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What's everyone paying for these?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    LGS near me is $339 with a waiting list.
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not a bad price at all.. my lgs wants 599!!1

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I paid $395 yesterday. Other local shopw as $390, but they were out of stock.

Mags are expensive. $37.50 from S&W if I remember right. I back ordered 2 today from them. I was told they should ship in 2 weeks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm a little late to the Shield thread... Does anyone know if there are plans for a no-safety version of the S&W Shield? Sorry if this was covered already, I didn't see it if it was in my scan.
    MOLON LABE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    I'm a little late to the Shield thread... Does anyone know if there are plans for a no-safety version of the S&W Shield? Sorry if this was covered already, I didn't see it if it was in my scan.
    Plans are supposedly in the works. No time table on when though. it's all just speculation as of now.

I picked mine up for $410 at my lgs, along with 1000 rounds of 9mm. They cut me a sizeable break on the case of ammo, so I wasnt too upset paying over $400 for the Shield.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just in case anyone is curious, I contacted S&W and was told that they had no plans at this time to release the Shield with an FDE frame, but would pass the suggestion on to the right person.

So, if anyone else would like to see one in FDE, I would suggest sending e-mails to show interest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Download necessary?

Is it necessary to download the magazines by one in order to get them to seat properly? My G26 with 2200 rounds through it still has to be downloaded by one.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    No not in my case. A positive insertion does the trick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast