Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch to A5 System?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Switch to A5 System?

I have a 16" mid-length hammer forged BCM upper with the standard A2 flash hider. My lower is a AZ Armory billet lower (dont know the exact trigger brand) but it was worked on by Bill Springfield, and a commercial buffer tube with a carbine buffer and a Magpul MOE buttstock.

I want my rifle to stay reliable with abuse given to it but I want my rifle to become softer shooting. I was doing research on comps but found that I could get a better outcome with "upgrading" my buffer system to an A5 system.

Is this the consensus?

What is all needed for this "upgrade?...just the buffer tube, spring and buffer? Does it work with the Magpul endplate also?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've really liked the A5 on everything from an 12" carbine system to a 16" middy. I think it works better than a comp and is less limiting. The kit comes with the A5 7-position extension, hybrid buffer, spring, and endplate.

You obviously need the A5 kit, a lower, an armorer's or castle nut wrench, and a center punch/mallet for staking. I didn't like the Magpul end plate when I used it because of the tab you insert into the groove in the buffer tube. I like the end plates that have the tab built in. Make sure you screw the buffer tube in so it captures the retaining pin and so the rear part of the carrier/contacts takes the tension of the buffer face. And stake it!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post
    I have a 16" mid-length hammer forged BCM upper with the standard A2 flash hider. My lower is a AZ Armory billet lower (dont know the exact trigger brand) but it was worked on by Bill Springfield.
    If looking to increase reliability, I'd replace the Springfield trigger with either a stock trigger from a known good manufacturer, or with a Geissele unit. But that's just me.

An A5 system certainly couldn't hurt. You will need the A5 receiver extension tube, a rifle length spring, and an A5 buffer weight. Since your current stock is commercial, you'll also need a standard buttstock (or suffer with a loose commercial buttstock on a standard spec RE). You can either get a full-blown A5 kit that includes an Vltor buttstock, or you can order the receiver extension a la carte, plus a the spring and buffer weight in a separate bundle (but no buttstock).

It'll work with any endplate, just like a regular carbean setup. Chances are good that you'll be able to re-stake your old endplate since the castle nut that comes with the receiver extension is unlikely to time exactly the same as your old one. I've re-staked Magpul and Noveske endplates and aside from the extra divots, they work fine.
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I used a Noveske QD end plate when I installed mine. No problems there and I staked it in two places. OP just be sure you never try to use a standard carbine buffer once you replace the receiver extension. The A5 receiver extension is about 3/4" longer than a regular receiver extension and using a standard buffer could cause damage.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Will the A5 system take any standard rifle spring?
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Will the A5 system take any standard rifle spring?
    The A5 system includes the appropriate buffer, buffer tube, and spring.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was thinking of replacements for springs. Vltor does not appear to offer them separately.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    I was thinking of replacements for springs. Vltor does not appear to offer them separately.
    It uses a standard rifle buffer spring.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The a5 would be a monumental leap from what you have now.... in every way.

And I agree on getting rid of that Springfield trigger parts.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Found this description while trolling Sprinco's site:

[Part 25001] Tactical Springs LLC M16 / AR-15 Chrome Silicon RIFLE Spring in Hand Tube (Color Coded GREEN) (NOTE: Also the choice for use with VLTOR A-5 Stock System with 5.3 Oz. Buffer for 5.6 Platforms)

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast