Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KAC buis micro or standard rear?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I own both but the Micro version is much nicer IMHO. The larger version isn't necessary.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Since voting with hard earned dollars tells more about actual opinion, I'll add my $190.02 worth...

I went with the old style 600m. The Micro is nice, but for my money I'd rather have the full size part than the Micro.

KAC designed the 300m and 600m sights right the first time around with maximum durability and functionality in mind, the Micro was an afterthought it seems.

My vote is for the full sized 600m

ETA: This is not to imply that the Micro is inferior, or that it doesn't work, I just like and prefer the full size.
    Last edited by Bacon Six Actual; 04-09-12 at 13:39.
    Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

Feedback Score

Hey Munch, what rail is that on your gun and is a 16" bbl? Looks good.

kenken

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenken View Post

Hey Munch, what rail is that on your gun and is a 16" bbl? Looks good.

kenken
    Not Munch, but it looks like a DD M4V5 (16" bbl, 12.0 Omega X rail) to me. Other accessories include a Magpul AFG foregrip, Magpul MOE stock, Hogue pistol grip, Surefire G2X in a Gear Sector mount, and an Aimpoint Comp M or M2 in a QRP mount.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Six Actual View Post
    Since voting with hard earned dollars tells more about actual opinion, I'll add my $190.02 worth...

I went with the old style 600m. The Micro is nice, but for my money I'd rather have the full size part than the Micro.

KAC designed the 300m and 600m sights right the first time around with maximum durability and functionality in mind, the Micro was an afterthought it seems.

My vote is for the full sized 600m

ETA: This is not to imply that the Micro is inferior, or that it doesn't work, I just like and prefer the full size.
    Nothing wrong with your vote at all, however your reply makes it sound as if the old KAC sights are more durable, and had more function than the new micros.

The KAC micro is no less durable, or has no less function than the full sized versions.

This is a quote straight from Coldblue...whom recently retired from KAC...

"Yes, the micro bases being stainless steel allowed us to "shrink" the bases vs the older models which were aluminum. As you can see, the rear sight leafs (300M fixed or adjustable 200-600M) are the same as the ones on the aluminum bases. Both the 600M rear micro and the front micro have NSN's assigned by the U.S. Marine Corps.
    Also greatly simplified zeroing on the front micro, i.e. no tools required for zeroing, which was one of the reasons they liked the front micro."

Some could even make the case that the newer SS bases are more durable than the old aluminum ones, and imho the micros are indeed more durable given they are built using KAC's latest mfg'ing processes and labor. The U.S. Marines have been running micros now for sometime with no problems whatsoever.....nuff said for me

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The good lieutenant colonel retired from KAC?

I took a good look at the old 600M and Micro 600M, the sight stalk appears to be the same. That the Micro 600M's sight stalk fell off was a fluke, it could have happened to the full sized, older 600M as well, so I don't fault the Micro 600M for its rare failing.

I have several Troy front and rear sights, I always find myself wanting and buying KAC. They're just lower profile and smaller, which I like
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Nothing wrong with your vote at all, however your reply makes it sound as if the old KAC sights are more durable, and had more function than the new micros.

The KAC micro is no less durable, or has no less function than the full sized versions.

This is a quote straight from Coldblue...whom recently retired from KAC...

"Yes, the micro bases being stainless steel allowed us to "shrink" the bases vs the older models which were aluminum. As you can see, the rear sight leafs (300M fixed or adjustable 200-600M) are the same as the ones on the aluminum bases. Both the 600M rear micro and the front micro have NSN's assigned by the U.S. Marine Corps.
    Also greatly simplified zeroing on the front micro, i.e. no tools required for zeroing, which was one of the reasons they liked the front micro."

Some could even make the case that the newer SS bases are more durable than the old aluminum ones, and imho the micros are indeed more durable given they are built using KAC's latest mfg'ing processes and labor. The U.S. Marines have been running micros now for sometime with no problems whatsoever.....nuff said for me
    Point taken! It would seem I let the Red Bull do my typing for me, and you clarified what I failed to. Thanks for the information Trident!

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I have several Troy front and rear sights, I always find myself wanting and buying KAC. They're just lower profile and smaller, which I like
    I've been putting it off but I'm definitely going to have to sawp my Troys for the Micros...the Troys are so much bigger when you compare the two...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Six Actual View Post
    Point taken! It would seem I let the Red Bull do my typing for me, and you clarified what I failed to. Thanks for the information Trident!
    No worries brother, and I've certainly been known to strap on my Red Bull Wings from time to time

I can understand why folks who have never used KAC Micros before think or ask..."why the huge cost"...."they look fragile"...."will they hold a zero" questions since I too asked those questions in the past, but those all go away very quickly the minute you get hands on with a set.

I still own some Troys, Mbus, and LMT fixed front/rears, and they do a great job, but if I'm going all out....KAC Micros for sure
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-09-12 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    No worries brother, and I've certainly been known to strap on my Red Bull Wings from time to time

I can understand why folks who have never used KAC Micros before think or ask..."why the huge cost"...."they look fragile"...."will they hold a zero" questions since I too asked those questions in the past, but those all go away very quickly the minute you get hands on with a set.

I still own some Troys, Mbus, and LMT fixed front/rears, and they do a great job, but if I'm going all out....KAC Micros for sure
    Fingers can definitely fly faster than fully formed thoughts

I've never doubted the durability and quality of the Micros, they seem to be the heat, I've just never decided to pick them over the standards. Your high praises of them have convinced me to give them a try on the next build.

Definitely agree on the LMT fixed options, they're definitely solid, but as you say, KAC for when you mean bi'dness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast