Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why 300 Win Mag over 30-06?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

Why 300 Win Mag over 30-06?

Does the 300 Win Mag really offer that much over the 30-06 that it's worth the extra cost? Same bullets are used, same COL, 30-06 is a proven long ranger perform, as is the 300 Win Mag. 30-06 has less recoil than 300 WM. with that said, wouldn't the Accuracy International stocks for Long Action Remington 700's work for 30-06? AI Mags for 300 Win Mag should work for 30-06 as well.... In theory since COL is the same or is the 300 WM case that much bigger that it wouldn't work?

I'm not looking to build either, just got to thinking and it go me curious, which is usually not a good thing haha.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Does the 300 Win Mag really offer that much over the 30-06 that it's worth the extra cost? Same bullets are used, same COL, 30-06 is a proven long ranger perform, as is the 300 Win Mag. 30-06 has less recoil than 300 WM. with that said, wouldn't the Accuracy International stocks for Long Action Remington 700's work for 30-06? AI Mags for 300 Win Mag should work for 30-06 as well.... In theory since COL is the same or is the 300 WM case that much bigger that it wouldn't work?

I'm not looking to build either, just got to thinking and it go me curious, which is usually not a good thing haha.
    Good question... I can further muddy the question by asking why not 300WSM?

The 300WSM provides the same performance as 300WM in a short action. The 300WM shoots faster than the 30-06 albeit marginally. I wonder if the 300WM is more accurate as it headspaces off the belt instead of the shoulder.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Now this is just my opinion...
    Unless you (really, really) need the punch of a magnum, I'd stay away for these reasons:
    - Availability
    - Cost
    - Recoil
    - Barrel life
    - Cost to reload (Inefficient powder eaters, cost of brass.)

I had some buddies with the WSM's and Weatherby's, that had to bench their guns during the last panic because they couldn't get ammo. I just like to shoot too much to put obstacles in my way.

I always looked at it like this, if guys in the Civil War were consistently making 600 yard shots with muzzle loaders, why can't I do it with a 30-06 (or a 308).
    Again, to me, I think magnums are just gun writer/magazine marketing ploys. But...if I really thought I needed a magnum...it would be a .300 Win Mag.

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post

You really have not defined a use? If its tagrets inside 1k then no your not getting much more out of the 300 in mag. If your pushing past that then yes.

The 300wsm will not drive heavy bullets as fast as the 300 win mag.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    6mmbr.com used to have a dedicated section on the 30-06 but its disappeared. 6mmbr is one of the best places to go for info on "precision" calibers. Mostly benchrest, 1MOA shooters at 1000 but its got some other stuff on the tactical side.

The thing on 30-06 said it was very capable to 1000 even to 1200. Wish I could find the info again, as I would share it here.

With that said, what does 300 Win Mag do that 30-06 Springfield cant?

Like I said, mostly just curiosity got the best of me is all...... Plus, its high time we had some good shooting discussion in here again, been alot of General Discussion lately.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 04-09-12 at 15:58.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    You really have not defined a use?
    I am seconding this question. If for hunting, then my personal opinion is that the .300 Win Mag is overkill, more so where I am at where a lot of deer hunters, even hog hunters don't make shot beyond 100 or 200 meters. Now for a sniper over in the sand box who can see out a ways and can engage over 1,000 meters on a regular basis... yes I would see them having a need for the .300Win Mag, have spoken to several who praised it for giving them more reach then their M40s and its considerable lighter weight over the .50BMG and .338 Lapua and with the new loads the .300 win mag is suppose to be able to mimic the .338 Lapua, though how well I am not sure since it is not my area of expertise, but like I said, the guys I have spoken with are in love with it for what they are doing over there.

I suppose as far as what it can do that the 30-06 can't... Not sure, other then perhaps availability in certain circles(mostly military) and I have read of people loading the 30-06 up to near winmag pressures and velocity so other then maybe a slightly faster rate of drop at distance I can't think of why it wouldn't be able to give the .300 win mag a run for it.

I don't know, interested to see what the experts on this come out and say.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Thats the thing, wasn't the M40 a long action because they had thought of going back to the 30-06 instead of 308? 30-06 was military at one time, 300 Win Mag never was until the last decade.

there are some really accurate 30-06 loads out there already.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Feedback Score
    No. M24 was a long action to allow use of the .300 Win Mag.

.300 Win Mag has one major thing over .30-06--case capacity.

For hunting in the lower 48, the .30-06 is a better option; for Alaska, a bigger caliber is in order.

If wanting to go longer distances, the .338 Lap Mag is a better option.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Now I dont want to start a fight but from everything I have ever read the M24 was built on a LA to utilize the 30-06. But sutable match ammo could not be obtained in the neccary quanity so we retained the LA chambered in 308 win.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Now I dont want to start a fight but from everything I have ever read the M24 was built on a LA to utilize the 30-06. But sutable match ammo could not be obtained in the neccary quanity so we retained the LA chambered in 308 win.

That's what I had read and saw on a history channel documentary..... But I'm slowly learning to not even take what's on the History Channel for the truth... Especially when all they seem to have on is Alien stuff now but that's another story.

Learn something new every day!
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast