Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Affordable ar15

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    New to this forum. But I have been researching a M4 style rifle for about six months. Here are my opinions (note my personal opinions, I'm not trying to present this as fact) from my research that is from media reviews both pro and on forums and shooting some AR-15 rifles myself.

Bottom line if this is or will be a fighting rifle the Colt 6920 is the starting point and things went up from there. DD, LMT, Noveske, etc.

It used to be below that you got what you paid for in regards to recreational rifles. Del-Ton, Olympic Arms, etc you paid %60 of the Colt and you got %60 of the quality.

Step up to DPMS, Bushmaster, Spikes, etc. You paid %70 - 90 of the colt and you got the same back in quality. But even at the top end that is only a couple hundred dollar stretch it's worth it to go with a company who is proven by putting there product into harms way for decades.

This all changed when the M&P Sport came out. Most of the other companies below Colt made exact copies of the carbine with all the features that the LEO military rifles had but skimped on manufacturing.

The M&P Sport dropped some of the features you only need in a fighting rifle. Things like the forward assist and dust cover. This brought the cost down to %65 of the colt while still having good build quality where it counts.

Downside of the M&P is if you just want to look cool and have all the Mil-Spec features you might have to spend more to probably get less quality or pay the same as the M&P and get a inferior rifle so you can still look cool. FYI this was not directed at any one person here just an attitude I have seen more than once.

I have a 6920 on order.
    Last edited by QuackXP; 04-09-12 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Lot of "kaa-kaa" being posted in this thread. There are few guns that can hold a candle to a Colt but a Windham, S&W Sport, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. aren't in contention. People are just trying to justify their purchases.
    Right now, dollar for dollar, there is practically no one that can do it better than a $1000 Colt. I received two 6920's last week delivered for $1010 each, name me a better gun for $1000???

Stop the "good enough" blah blah and stick with the facts - Colt, LMT, Noveske, DD, & BCM are proven, the others are wannabees.

Things "changed" when the Sport came out...puh-leeezeeee.

But maybe it's just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 04-09-12 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Lot of "kaa-kaa" being posted in this thread. There are few guns that can hold a candle to a Colt but a Windham, S&W Sport, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. aren't in contention. People are just trying to justify their purchases.
    Right now, dollar for dollar, there is practically no one that can do it better than a $1000 Colt. I bought two 6920's last week delivered for $1010 each, name me a better gun for $1000???

Stop the "good enough" blah blah and stick with the facts - Colt, LMT, Noveske, DD, & BCM are proven, the others are wannabees.

Things "changed" when the Sport came out...puh-leeezeeee.

But maybe it's just me...

In the recreational pinker market I think the M&P Sport did change things you got more pinker for your buck.

But the entrance of the M&P Sport has not changed anything in the fighting rifle market. Even the rest of the M&P are priced similar to the Colt but without the history of service.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I bought a Windham SRC at the "local" gun shop for $826
    I've seen them at Wal-Mart for $799
    I'm happy with the rifle, put about 100 rounds through it do far.
    The main use of the Windham is for my son to use hunting this fall.
    I put a Burris Fastfire II red dot on it and Magpul MBUS, like both.
    The Windham would be just fine for HD or recreational shooting, IMO.
    (Windham is produced by former Bushmaster employees)
    Has chrome lined bore, forward assist, dust cover (features missing on cheaper AR's).

I also have a Daniel M4 V2, but honestly I doubt I actually needed "exceeds mil spec" for my use (not competiting, not LE, no AR classes in my future); I do like the free float rail on the DD V2, which is also on the cheaper Stag 2T.
    Not sure where your priorities are, but I would never trust my life with a "good enough" rifle, if you can even call a re-branded bushmaster that.

As everyone else says, A Colt 6920 or BCM would be the way I went if I was on the market for a quality AR on a budget.

Feedback Score
    Bottom line, if you are looking for an affordable AR-15 then obviously you don't truly need Colt, DD, BCM, Noveske, etc. You obviously just want on the bandwagon, and you know what there is NOTHING wrong with that. That's how all of us recreational/competition shooters got started. We live and learn. If the entry level gets us something we "want" rather than need who gives a crap!

If you carry a gun for a living and work on a 2 way gun range, then you would be retarded to not heed everyone's warning on not buy entry level rifles. Buyer beware. Many good points in everyone's posts here.

Bottom line is if you are just a plinker, and fit in with the crowd of I gotta get an AR before Barry won't let me...then the crowd here is a little rough for you...and you simply will not get the answers you want to hear.

People are giving you top notch advise because they have risked their lives with the brands of guns they so boldly hold on tier 1. It brought them back to their family many, many, many times...so their rifles worked unconditionally for them.

It's your money do with it what you want..but buyer beware. If you can handle that...go buy an "affordable rifle"

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    You'd bet your life on a rifle with 100 rounds through it?
    I've carried Glocks after as many rounds and trusted them as well as if I had shot 500 through them.
    With a 1911 I am going to want more like 250 consecutive trouble free rounds.

Would you trust it after 100 rounds if it was a Daniel or BCM?

Actually the DD V2 is my "go to" rifle, but it doesn't have any more rounds through it than the Windham. Both of them have flawlessly fed & ejected every round.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I would never trust a Bushmaster with my life and I certainly wouldn't trust a re-branded Windham/Bushmaster.
    Please be specific as to why you would not trust it after it had proven reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Not sure where your priorities are, but I would never trust my life with a "good enough" rifle, if you can even call a re-branded bushmaster that.

As everyone else says, A Colt 6920 or BCM would be the way I went if I was on the market for a quality AR on a budget.
    I "get" the folks on here that only recommend top of the line AR brands, I'm the same way about 45 acp pistols.

Kimber is not good enough (for me) because they have a bunch of MIM small parts & plastic MSH; Colt has four MIM small parts and a plastic MSH.
    You have to "at least" buy a Dan Wesson Valor to avoid MIM and get a "quality" pistol complete with night sights and metal MSH.
    Other than the DW Valor, Les Baer, & Ed Brown are also "bet your life" brands (after a arbitrary # of consecutive trouble free rounds). My 1911 rationale is no different than the advice I've seen in this thread about AR's.

As far as Colt, I wouldn't buy a Colt AR for the exact same price as a Stag 2T (or Windham SRC). Why? Due to my experience with their customer service. Short version: I had a Colt Defender 45 acp and it went back for warranty repair, 10 weeks later I get it back and it still exhibited the same problem. I called Colt CS and ultimately they told me it was my problem. I will not buy another Colt.

Summary: You can't buy an affordable 1911 or AR and expect to use it for SD, they are only good for plinking, regardless.
    Last edited by CDW4ME; 04-09-12 at 20:26.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Feedback Score
    What about the saiga assault rifles are they worth it

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I've carried Glocks after as many rounds and trusted them as well as if I had shot 500 through them.
    With a 1911 I am going to want more like 250 consecutive trouble free rounds.

Would you trust it after 100 rounds if it was a Daniel or BCM?
    Nope, I don't care if it says bushmaster, hk, glock, DD, BCM or charter arms. If i'm going to trust my life to it I'll take it through a half day of drills which amount to around 500 rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    What about the saiga assault rifles are they worth it
    It doesn't seem like you are too specific on what you want. First you want an AR, now your considering a Saiga.

I don't see whats so hard about just going to your gunshop and buying a Colt 6920 or Daniel Defense XV and be done with it. Buy some ammo and mags, get to the range, and start shooting.

From your other threads and posts, it sounds like you are new to guns as a whole. If thats true, I would be getting a .22LR and learn to shoot with that first before you work your way up to AR's and the like...
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    Nope, I don't care if it says bushmaster, hk, glock, DD, BCM or charter arms. If i'm going to trust my life to it I'll take it through a half day of drills which amount to around 500 rounds.
    Fair enough.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast