Thread: What Defines ....

Feedback Score

What Defines ....

A rifle from a carbine from a sub-machine gun and pistol cal (like a 9mm AR type)

bbl legnth? caliber ? gas system ?

It may sound novice but hard to track a "offical" type awnser.

We had this disscusion in the office and we could not find "Hard" rule defintion anywhere??

any thoughts ?
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SinnFéinM1911
    A rifle from a carbine from a sub-machine gun and pistol cal (like a 9mm AR type)

bbl legnth? caliber ? gas system ?

It may sound novice but hard to track a "offical" type awnser.

We had this disscusion in the office and we could not find "Hard" rule defintion anywhere??

any thoughts ?

Thats a damn good question.

I would assume barrel length.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As a start:

Rifle
    ri‧fle1  /ˈraɪfəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rahy-fuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -fled, -fling.
    –noun
    1. a shoulder firearm with spiral grooves cut in the inner surface of the gun barrel to give the bullet a rotatory motion and thus a more precise trajectory.

Carbine
    car·bine (k�rbn, -bn) Pronunciation Key Audio pronunciation of "carbine" [P]
    n.
    A lightweight rifle with a short barrel.

Submachine Gun
    sub·ma·chine gun (sbm-shn) Pronunciation Key Audio pronunciation of "submachine gun" [P]
    n.
    A lightweight automatic gun that shoots pistol ammunition, is usually fired from the shoulder or hip, and often has the capacity for shooting single rounds.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Of course, by the definitions I posted above, most people's "carbines" have become "rifles" simply because they weigh 20 tons.

Feedback Score
    Those definitions were certainly born when all rifle barrels were at least 20" long and the stocks were all wood; thus "heavy". I don't think those definitions are terrible. I would change the definition of carbine to something like: a shouldered firearm based on the rifle, which utilizes a shorter barrel to cut down on weight, and aid in mobility.

I personally don't think a nine + pound carbine is too heavy. Then again, I'm not a stranger to the gym. I don't care what any of my tools, firearms or otherwise, weighs. As long as each has the capability to assist me in performing the tasks for which it was designed and purchased. Can't everyone perform single handed NSRs with a ten pound carbine?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Weight savings is weight savings. If you can carry a 9 pound carbine for 10 miles you'll be able to carry a 5 pound carbine for further. If you can hold a 9 pound carbine at low ready for an hour you'll be able to hold a 5 pound carbine at low ready for longer.

I work out 5 days a week, and actually tailor my workouts toward shooting as much as I can, and I still prefer lighter gear. Fatigue is fatigue, whether you're Bill Kazmaier or Steve Urkel. Steve may get more tired than Bill, but they both get tired eventually.

With that said, weight with a purpose is good, weight without purpose (or when a lighter option is available) is bad.

Feedback Score
    Whatever...

Feedback Score
    Rifle - We all know this one.

Carbine - Original term used to name the modified rifles used by the Carabiniers, called a Carabinier Rifle. These rifles were shortened and lightened versions of the current issue rifle. Although they originally chambered the same cartridge as the parent rifle, reduced power loads were made for the Carbines... eventually, this would lead to smaller cased ammunition.

Although many purist say that a "carbine" must be based on a larger parent rifle, most agree that a carbine is a purpose designed rifle that sacrifices ballistic performance for a smaller, lighter package.

Machine Gun - Purpose built weapon, designed for full-automatic fire, most a re not capable of semi-auto fire.

Light Machine Gun - As above, but designed to be carried and operated by one person, often substituting that persons rifle as a primary weapon.

Sub Machine Gun - Still smaller and lighter, designed to fire pistol ammunition, but still primarily full-auto and often at a very high rate of fire.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis
    Carbine - Original term used to name the modified rifles used by the Carabiniers, called a Carabinier Rifle. These rifles were shortened and lightened versions of the current issue rifle. Although they originally chambered the same cartridge as the parent rifle, reduced power loads were made for the Carbines... eventually, this would lead to smaller cased ammunition.

Although many purist say that a "carbine" must be based on a larger parent rifle, most agree that a carbine is a purpose designed rifle that sacrifices ballistic performance for a smaller, lighter package.
    Exactly. The M1 Carbine shoots it's own proprietary round, but it's still a carbine.