Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remanufactured Ammo

Feedback Score
    At the last Colt Armorer course the instructor (not Ken) was actually telling us Maine Cartridge Company sells the best ammo around and it's the only genuine M885 sold to the public. He even got a bit defensive when several students mentioned ammo purchased by their department was so bad it couldn't be used. I'm hoping he was just confused and was talking about some other ammo company but he seemed pretty specific about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BB493
    At the last Colt Armorer course the instructor (not Ken) was actually telling us Maine Cartridge Company sells the best ammo around and it's the only genuine M885 sold to the public. He even got a bit defensive when several students mentioned ammo purchased by their department was so bad it couldn't be used. I'm hoping he was just confused and was talking about some other ammo company but he seemed pretty specific about it.
    That is a pretty interesting statement, and i would be interested in seeing the facts behind this.
    Does he mean that MCC is manufacturing M855 for the military, and this is rejected ammunition (that is, XM855)? Or that MCC purchased XM855 from Federal?

We have seen a bunch of problems with MCC ammunition, and in my Picture Book of Horrors along with broken bushamster bolts are some of MCC problems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers
    ...all ammo will increase appx 40% shortly,...
    Pat,
    Please advise what is driving this if you can. Thanks.
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    I have been reliably told by those involved that it has to do with a shortage of raw materials, and the fact that the capacity for manufacturing metallic cartridges is at the saturation point.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been reliably told by those involved that it has to do with a shortage of raw materials, and the fact that the capacity for manufacturing metallic cartridges is at the saturation point.
    Our agency just ordered 77,000 rounds of various types of Federal ammunition. Some backordered. When I spoke directly with the factory I was told that their sales (non-military) are up 191% for the year.

Mike

Feedback Score
    That is a pretty interesting statement, and i would be interested in seeing the facts behind this.
    Does he mean that MCC is manufacturing M855 for the military, and this is rejected ammunition (that is, XM855)? Or that MCC purchased XM855 from Federal?

I'm not sure. He was also mentioning true M855 has really shiny brass and I seem to remember all M855 for the most part being unpolished. After the great debate, I think most of us just took it as his opinion and decided we would just stick with the ammo our department uses or that we know first hand works. Like any class, you take with it what works and discard the rest.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the additional. You are correct. Every class is an opportunity to take something back with you- positive or negative.
    "Highly polished"......?

Feedback Score
    Knightstar- the "X" in XM means that the particular lot was rejeceted. A while back it could have been for cosmetic reasons- lately it seems like there are many other varied and serious issues for rejection, showing a lack of QC.
    We had issues with a lot of XM193. We sent it back to the factory. It tested out at 62kpsi. That is like firing an almost proof load everytime you press the trigger.
    Any time you shoot anything with an "X" you are rolling the dice. You have had good luck (as have i in the past), but i an very cynical when it comes to guns and ammunition.
    I sell BH ammo as a service to students attending my classes, so i am biased.
    However, i sell it because it is the best i have seen.
    I like BH as well

Black Hills Blue box is outstanding for the accuracy and price
    My LMT M4 loves the 77gr the best as far as accuracy and the MK262 aint to bad for a hot ass round

at Midway you can get 50rds of 75gr Match HP for 19.99 wich is a steal
    when its in

I have some XM193 left I bought 4 years ago! I didnt think much of it and spent my cash on Win Q3131

I always liked my Q3131 better and have used it for many years .
    to bad its hard to FIND

Feedback Score
    Knightstar- the "X" in XM means that the particular lot was rejeceted. A while back it could have been for cosmetic reasons- lately it seems like there are many other varied and serious issues for rejection, showing a lack of QC.
    We had issues with a lot of XM193. We sent it back to the factory. It tested out at 62kpsi. That is like firing an almost proof load everytime you press the trigger.
    Any time you shoot anything with an "X" you are rolling the dice. You have had good luck (as have i in the past), but i an very cynical when it comes to guns and ammunition.
    I sell BH ammo as a service to students attending my classes, so i am biased.
    However, i sell it because it is the best i have seen.
    I was just wondering, can you tell if your lot of XM193 is hot or not just by a chrono test?

What fps out of a 16" barrel is too hot?

Thanks!

BetaMO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RBL
    I like BH as well

Black Hills Blue box is outstanding for the accuracy and price
    My LMT M4 loves the 77gr the best as far as accuracy and the MK262 aint to bad for a hot ass round

at Midway you can get 50rds of 75gr Match HP for 19.99 wich is a steal
    when its in

I have some XM193 left I bought 4 years ago! I didnt think much of it and spent my cash on Win Q3131

I always liked my Q3131 better and have used it for many years .
    to bad its hard to FIND
    I heard Black Hills is raising their price up 30%, so stock up now when you can!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast