Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT CQB MRP 16 vs. KAC SR 15 E

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If I was starting over, all I would buy are the CQB/MRP platforms. It's so simple that it's ingenious. Technically speaking the barrel and gas tube are the only parts "proprietary" to the platform but there is a company that can convert a standard barrel to the MRP style without much trouble. Want to go from 10.5" to 16" no problem? Want to go from DI to piston no problem, want to go from 5.56 to 6.8 to 300blk to 204 etc.. no problem. I only wish I thought of it....

Cool to see real face shooters digging the platform, you or any of your partners ever use one in harms way?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I know Army SF have used some MRP CQB 12"s in action.

If you read between the lines, the British SAS are using MWSs with 13.5" barrels, suppressors, and a F/A lower.

And in the recent LM8 Combat Arms article...

"Company representatives won't discuss or confirm, but I've been informed that this project was initiated at the request of an undisclosed Special Forces unit who liked the LMT, but wanted to see it shed some unnecessary weight, feature a slimmer forearm and enable versatility for a user to attach only the rail space he needs on a given mission."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post

If you read between the lines, the British SAS are using MWSs with 13.5" barrels, suppressors, and a F/A lower.

And in the recent LM8 Combat Arms article...

"Company representatives won't discuss or confirm, but I've been informed that this project was initiated at the request of an undisclosed Special Forces unit who liked the LMT, but wanted to see it shed some unnecessary weight, feature a slimmer forearm and enable versatility for a user to attach only the rail space he needs on a given mission."

Which Army SF unit are you referring to? Are you referencing a picture you saw on militaryphotos or something where an "SF guy" was shooting an MRP? Was it a trial of a sample of say 6 or 12 units that a unit purchased to try out, or did one or two guys in SF bring their own uppers overseas? As we've seen in this (shooting) industry- especially in the last 10 years- most of these types of claims and articles are BS. Some guy calls a company and says, "I'm from organization XYZ, can I get military discount?" All of a sudden, "secret members of XYZ, ZYX, and YZX are using this product...because it's the best!"

Furthermore, "Special Forces" is one of the most inappropriately used terms regarding the military focused journalism as well as the arms industry's marketing. Everyone who isn't a clerk is "Special Forces" in the press. Go to barns an noble, and you'll surely find some stupid ass book with a title like, "WEAPONS AND TACTICS AND VEHICLES AND INFIL METHODS AND UNIFORMS AND BOOTS AND SUNGLASSES AND HEROS OF SPECIAL FORCES" In said book and all of it's similarly titled abortions there will be chapters on SEALs, Marines, and Paras from the 82d ABN DIV. While these entities are full of great guys, they are not Special Forces. SEALs and a tiny percentage of Marines fall under the umbrella of Special Operations. Special Operations does not equal Special Forces.

I'm not saying that was you posted is incorrect, but unless there is documentation or firsthand accounts, usually stuff like this on the interwebs is incorrectly based on what I wrote above.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Let me first say that I don't base my gear/gun purchases in the least off of what the SF community is either actually using, or rumored to be using. I don't foresee myself ever owning a HK416/417s, or SCAR L/Hs. Obviously I'm no expert of SF weapon procurement, nor do I try to be.

In regards to the MRP CQBs in use....I've learned about this from a number of different sources, however I'll base my above reply off my best source which is straight from LMT.

I didn't pry for very much detail other than a confirmation that MRP CQB 12" piston uppers have seen use by SF in action.

My apologies on derailing this thread.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Not sure how important this is to you, but KAC has a few proprietary parts not compatible with other ARs.
    And... your point is? Please don't waste our time with uninformed, sniper comments.

This is possibly the most overblown "criticism" of the SR15 ever discussed. The proprietary parts are the bolt, which will far outlast the standard bolt and the gas tube, which will last the life of the barrel. Additionally, KAC recently announced price reductions for the E3 bolt kits, making spares an affordable reality for the average shooter. (even though you will likely replace the barrel before the bolt)
    Proprietary is only a concern when dealing with a company that is not likely to be in existence in the future or is constantly changing designs due to issues with the original design. KAC exhibits neither of these traits. The E3 design is well proven to be extremely durable and very shootable. I've been running an SR15 since the very first rifles were made available for commercial sale & it remains my preferred AR type. Feed it good ammo and never look back.

If choosing between the mrp & SR15, you can't loose. Both are great rifles, but I might give an edge to the SR15 due to its lighter weight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sorry, it was not my intention to make sniper comments.

In fact I do own a few KAC parts and I have no doubt in their quality.
    I made the comment only to say that the bolt will not fit in other ARs. It wasn't a "criticism." But could be a consideration since they are more expensive. I had not heard of the recent announcement, but that's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    And... your point is? Please don't waste our time with uninformed, sniper comments.

This is possibly the most overblown "criticism" of the SR15 ever discussed. The proprietary parts are the bolt, which will far outlast the standard bolt and the gas tube, which will last the life of the barrel. Additionally, KAC recently announced price reductions for the E3 bolt kits, making spares an affordable reality for the average shooter. (even though you will likely replace the barrel before the bolt)
    Proprietary is only a concern when dealing with a company that is not likely to be in existence in the future or is constantly changing designs due to issues with the original design. KAC exhibits neither of these traits. The E3 design is well proven to be extremely durable and very shootable. I've been running an SR15 since the very first rifles were made available for commercial sale & it remains my preferred AR type. Feed it good ammo and never look back.

If choosing between the mrp & SR15, you can't loose. Both are great rifles, but I might give an edge to the SR15 due to its lighter weight.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Sorry, it was not my intention to make sniper comments.

In fact I do own a few KAC parts and I have no doubt in their quality.
    I made the comment only to say that the bolt will not fit in other ARs. It wasn't a "criticism." But could be a consideration since they are more expensive. I had not heard of the recent announcement, but that's good news.
    The new pricing was definitely welcome news. No details yet on the reduced pricing structure, only that it was in the works. I've never felt the need for a backup E3 bolt, but will probably pick one up anyway if the price is right.

Feedback Score
    I have both an MRP and an SR-15. About 5k thru each. Get the SR-15. Just my 0.02. Happy shooting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    + 1 for the sr 15. I would get the new mod 1.
    "You get what you pay for"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post

Careful when making absolute statements like these...
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast