Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on new M4 type AR

Feedback Score

Opinions on new M4 type AR

I went to my local gun store today, and inquired about getting a ar-15 m4 type carbine. I was told by the gun smith that I could have a rifle built for around 750$ + 50$ to put together. Instead of buying a Colt 6920, which I have been eyeballing for some time now. They would use a DSarms Lower receiver, spider tactical cold hammer forged 14.5 inch barrel with a flash hider that would put the rifle in the nfa specs. I can upgrade any trigger parts I like, the furniture would most likely be magpul. I am not sure which upper receiver they would use. It would also have a m16 bolt. The feed ramp was smooth as well going into the chamber. I plan on using a ACOG on this rifle.I used M4's in the Army for the last ten years, just got out of the service this month. I really want a M4 type rifle, as I have a lot of goodies already for it. I would love to hear your opinions on this set up and /or suggestions. I also have a Springfield M1A, my long distance shooter, and a Norinco Mak 91 for fun. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    I'll bet you don't get a single vote for the shop-built rifle. Get the 6920. It's as close as possible to the M4 you packed, and it's going to work well right out of the box, and if by some bizarre happenstance there's a problem, Colt will make it right.

The only reason I didn't go with Colt was that I wanted to try a middy, and then I went BCM.

Feedback Score
    Dont ****ing do it. Really really dont.

for 800 bucks it's not worth being like every other dumbass who gets a shitty AR, blames it on the design and thinks only AK's run.

Shitty AR's dont run well. Period. Buy a Colt for 1000 at walmart. or a BCM for 900 bucks. Pay an extra 100-200 dollars and get a good gun!! It'll be well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get the Colt LE 6920. It is as close to an M4 as you can get in the civilian marketplace. You can find all the information you could want on this site if you are interested in learning about the M4 platform. Use the orange search button and read the AR General and technical forums. You will find answers to most of your questions in those forums. You will also find venders here that offer good prices on the 6920.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNeanderthal View Post
    Dont ****ing do it. Really really dont.
    Listen to this guy....

Shitty AR's dont run well. Period.
    Yep, I agree...

Buy a Colt for 1000 at walmart. or a BCM for 900 bucks. Pay an extra 100-200 dollars and get a good gun!! It'll be well worth it.
    You know, this is some of the best advice I've seen on the subject...

Hey, OP - in case you didn't get my point....

Get the Colt...

Feedback Score
    Thats what I was thinking, just wanted to get another opinion, thanks

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Frankly you don't know what you don't know and apparently neither does the local gun plumber. Get the Colt. I'd even look for a 6720 over a 6920 but either will be much better than a cheapo kit build.

Feedback Score
    Get the Colt. I have talked to a few of the local claimed AR builders in my area over the years and was amazed that many of them were using mil-spec DPMS parts .

If you want build you should first spend alot of time researching and then build or if you want a professional custom build gun I would contact the likes of GR Tactical or Rainier Arms and have them build you a rifle to your specs.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

The AR "gunsmith" build game.

First let me say that I don't know who your gunsmith is, but from my experience most of them know next to NOTHING about how to properly assemble an AR. They know ABSOLUTELY nothing about where quality parts come from or what actually makes a part quality.

Second, when you buy a "parts gun" the re-sale of it is about zero and you will have to part it out (assuming you know the name brand of each part). So there is little to no trade value for this weapon.

Third, if there is a problem with the gun, who is going to fix it? The gun store that built it and is either no longer in business or the gunsmith that no longer works there?

With Colt AR's selling for around $1k, BCM's for under $1k I cannot imagine why anyone would buy what you described.

C4

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    well Grant pretty much summed it up!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast