Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Alpha Rail Install and Review

Feedback Score
    I set my 15'' Troy rail on my Stag Model 2. Two seperate instances, I've had the rail shift clockwise on me. Once I line the top rails up there is a small amount of space between the upper and the alignment tab. When shooting the rail shifts over till the tab and the upper meet, throwing off my irons. Im not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else have this issue?
    I shaved my gasblock for this?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the rail lock screws are all evenly and adiquately torqued and not actually skidding in the cone part of the nut they engage the only thing left that would allow rotation as you describe is a loose barrel nut.

Feedback Score
    So the alignment tab/lug is not required to be flush with the upper? The gun functions flawlessly, so its obviously not the barrel nut. I felt I had the screws torqued down quite a bit and I applied loc-tite to them. They were so tight that when I took the rail off they loosed with a snap. I guess, I will attempt to go through this process again. I did attempt to contact troy via their representitve on this site and through their own site with no success.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instaurator View Post
    The gun functions flawlessly, so its obviously not the barrel nut.
    my rifle had a loose barrel, and still functioned. it patterned shots, which is the only reason i noticed.

the way the troy slides on, if it rotates. the barrel nut is loose.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    I still am having a hard time blaming the barrel nut. The gas tube doesnt appear to be misaligned or deformed. And I think the physics of the way that the barrel nut screws onto the upper and gets locked into place with the gas tube is alot stronger than those three lugs tightening against the barrel nut itself. Though when I tighten everything down and give the rail a firm twist either way nothing moves. I plan on marking my rail screws and to see if anything is loosening on my next trip to the range.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you've some layout dye or something else visible that can be applied to the interior cone area of the barrel nut and contact points of the rail lock devices it'll help indicate if the tube is turning on the nut.

And no, the little tab on the side of the tube does not neccisarily have to be in physical contact with the upper receiver. An impossibility to manufacture the tab on the tube that will match to contact all the different makes of upper. There would literally have to be a spec tube for each brand, and then it may not touch due to other tolerance stacks.
    (nor does the HG rail section have to be in contact with the upper rail section btw)
    The priority is the alignment of the rails proper both rotationally and linear.

All the tab does is prevent the HG turning too far. Or in the event the HG is used on a blowback type upper, prevent the barrel nut from unscrewing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

How Much Heat?

For those of you who have used the Extreme and Alpha...Once the shooting gets fast and furious, how do they compare to normal quad rails in handling barrel heat? Too hot to handle since you. Ant use panels / rail covers?
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    I still am having a hard time blaming the barrel nut. The gas tube doesnt appear to be misaligned or deformed. And I think the physics of the way that the barrel nut screws onto the upper and gets locked into place with the gas tube is alot stronger than those three lugs tightening against the barrel nut itself. Though when I tighten everything down and give the rail a firm twist either way nothing moves. I plan on marking my rail screws and to see if anything is loosening on my next trip to the range.
    Are the clamps straight in?

Shim it between the tab and the receiver and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I set my 15'' Troy rail on my Stag Model 2. Two seperate instances, I've had the rail shift clockwise on me. Once I line the top rails up there is a small amount of space between the upper and the alignment tab. When shooting the rail shifts over till the tab and the upper meet, throwing off my irons. Im not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else have this issue?
    That's really odd. I don't know how that's possible unless you're not applying enough torque or something. I used 72 in-lbs on each screw and it was more than enough. Next time I install I'm going to use 65 in-lbs. I'll PM you the email for the gent that I spoke with when my TRX Extreme stripped out, he should be able to help you out. For safety's sake I'd re-torque the barrel nut to spec just to make sure it isn't the problem. You could even witness mark it afterwards.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well, I took the first step to getting one. I asked my local dealer to see if he can get me a 13" ALPHA with out the sight. I'm a bit nervous about cutting off the delta ring and switching to this rail. My AR is currently dressed in a CASV-M that I'm just not liking nearly as much as I once did. I find it a bit heavy and also a bit wide with a light attached.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast