Thread: just thought to introduce my self and my rifle (work in progress)

Feedback Score

just thought to introduce my self and my rifle (work in progress)

this was my toy with a 24in stainless barrel and 3.5lb lead weight in the stock, but after a wile i decided that it was a little heavy for me so i am now working on a 14.5in upper with a phantom flash suppressor so it is the legal 16in.

i started with a eagle arms lower with non rotating pins and a 6 position stock with the battery compartments.

the upper i am starting with is a rock river arms 14.5 unit with the phantom flash hider. with ither a knights rail or a surefire rail i have both but cant decide maybe you guys could help me out with that. and then there is also a chrome bolt and large latch charging handle.

here is a cool thing my dad came up with he drilled and tapped the hole for the spring that holds the detent and put a set screw in there so that when you take the stock off you don't have parts everywhere.

and here is a little about me

i am 19 going to universal technical institute to be a auto technician. i also have an advanced training opportunity with bmw that would be pretty awesome. so my hobbies are cars and guns at the moment.

John Pearson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pearson View Post

this was my toy with a 24in stainless barrel and 3.5lb lead weight in the stock, but after a wile i decided that it was a little heavy for me so i am now working on a 14.5in upper with a phantom flash suppressor so it is the legal 16in.

i started with a eagle arms lower with non rotating pins and a 6 position stock with the battery compartments.

the upper i am starting with is a rock river arms 14.5 unit with the phantom flash hider. with ither a knights rail or a surefire rail i have both but cant decide maybe you guys could help me out with that. and then there is also a chrome bolt and large latch charging handle.

here is a cool thing my dad came up with he drilled and tapped the hole for the spring that holds the detent and put a set screw in there so that when you take the stock off you don't have parts everywhere.

and here is a little about me

i am 19 going to universal technical institute to be a auto technician. i also have an advanced training opportunity with bmw that would be pretty awesome. so my hobbies are cars and guns at the moment.

John Pearson

Nice setup you have there. I would go with the Knights rail although there is certainly nothing wrong with the surefire. Good luck with School. It sounds like you have your life together.

I like your Fathers idea with the setscrew. Hows the tension on the takedown pin?
    Oh and we share the same Hobbies! Fast Cars and Assault Rifles

Feedback Score
    i have no problems at all with the tension and he has done many ar's that way (he buys builds and sells as a hobby) so out of the 20-30 he has done there has never been a complaint or problem that i know of. you could always try it and if you dont like it take the screw out no harm done, other than a little of your time.

Feedback Score
    some parts arrived today a rock river tactical carry handle, magpul ranger plates, knights armament rail covers, sling, and matech rear sights (4 of then lol). any who all i am waiting on now is the upper, it should be about a week or two untill it is done. this is proably all boring or old news to you guys but i am having a blast.

here are some pics

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First off, Welcome!

Second, be prepared to be told how much of a piece of garbage that carry handle is. I have nothing against it other than it's price. Aimpoints in low rings seem to work fine for people using them.

You really should look into the Daniel Defense Omega rail system. It's $240 most places. It looks VERY nice with the KAC panels. That's how I've got mine set up. I like it so much the 9" DD and 10" DD rails I have will just sit in their boxes and not end up on the gun again!

Nice job on the stock. What are those two parts lying above it?

Make sure the castle nut is staked on your extension tube too...

You are going to need another KAC panel or 2 (11-rib like the one long one) or you will be almost 100% set if you plan on using a VFG.

Feedback Score

Smile

Have fun with your build, Oh, and by the way welcome to the madness!

Feedback Score
    oh those are shifter bushings for my car. why would i want to stake the castle nut do they like to come loose? and the only reason for the rear sight like that is because it was inexpensive, the guy that sold it to me did not know what he had i guess. same with having 4 matech sights i got them inexpensive and can pass them on to others

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, to keep it from coming loose.

At least you have the Matechs to use in place of the unusable carry handle.

Feedback Score
    because i am so indecisive about what i want my gun to look like i am dont want to stake the nut but i will check it every once and a while to make sure that it does not come loose on me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That will work out fine but chances are you won't need to remove the nut to make any changes to the rifle- unless it's for a sling mount at that location.