Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

A few years back I did some corrosion testing on several different gun oils and greases. This was strictly a corrosion test. The pics below show the samples after three weeks of outside exposure combined with a salt spry misting. Since that time I've been using Eezox and Boeshield for storing my guns with excellent results.

Today I was looking at all the products on my cleaning bench that I've picked up over the past few years. So just for grins I'm going to do a new set of tests. More to follow......

Last edited by wedgehead30; 05-08-12 at 08:18.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How much did you coat the metal with the oil?

Also what type of metal is that? Just sheet metal squares?

WD-40 did pretty good compared to some of the others. Cool test. Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    All of the products we're put on per manufacturers direction. The metal was plain old sheet metal.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score

Okay here's the contenders for this round of testing. Keep in mind that this is totally un-scientific. It's being done more for my own personal curiosity more than anything else.

Starting in the rear left:

Ballistol - G96 - Rem oil - Boeshield T9 - Eezox - Clenzeoil - WD40

Middle:

Hoppes #9 w/weather guard - Corrosion X - Firepower 10 - Tetra oil - V80 rust inhibitor - Weapon Shield, oil & grease - Break Free - Slip 2000 EWL - Slip 2000 oil - MC 2500 oil -Triflow - Gunzila.

Third Row:

Militec - Frog Lube oil & grease - PL10 lithium grease - Prolix - S&W oil - Tuf glide.

Bottom:

XF7 grease - Wilson Combat grease - Tetra grease.

All in all 30 different products that I have acquired over the years. I'm sure I'm probably leaving some thing out. I'm going to stop at the gun shop and see if there's anything else. Suggestions are welcome.

My test metal will be carbon steel fender washers, which will be cleaned and media blasted. Then each product will be applied per the manufacturers directions.

This test will include salt spray and inclement weather. My goal is to see which products hold up the best against rust.

Based on past experience I expect Boeshield T-9, Corrosion X and Eezox to be the top three. But we'll see......

More to follow

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    tag for interest

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe use some plain old motor oil. I know a lot of guys run that in their guns, myself included.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post

Is that some fruity hand sanitizer there in the top right corner? lol.

I'm looking forward to see how the Frog Lube comes out. Larry sent us some Frog Lube a while back so we could do a T & E for hard weapons use, like rapid fire, high round count, friction inhibitory properties, maintaining lubrication properties after a soak in a tub of water, environmental extremes etc... It did VERY good in the T&E. We never tested it so much for corrosion inhibitory properties.
    I too was surprised about how the WD-40 turned out the first time, I seen another test like this, I think on youtube, and it was horrific.

I also like the idea that someone stated about testing regular ol motro oil... I know a lot of Lead chunkers that use that.

Looking forward to seeing all the results... Keep it up bro.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    Great work.

Will you be doing a day by day pictorial so we can witness not only how well or not it protects, but how soon corrosion actually starts?
    "This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?"-Iraqgunz

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - B. Munro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
    Is that some fruity hand sanitizer there in the top right corner? lol.
    Yep, Cherry Pomegranate. The wife bitches when I come up from man-land smelling like G-96. If Momma ain't happy then nobodies happy...

Feedback Score
    Finally a topic I have some relevant knowledge about. I spend quite a bit of time doing coating evaluations using various international test standards. One of my classes at school we conducted a similar experiment to observe long term corrosion outdoors. There is an ASTM test standard which covers the setup of this style of test. If you are interested I can dig the standard out when I get home tonight. It may help with the consistency of you results.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast