Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not sure its as simple as synthetic is better than petroleum based, as I believe Corrosion X is NOT synthetic, yet did better than most. Its also very runny, not at all thick like greases.
    Cannot tell from photo if Quaker State oil, which did poorly, is synthetic or not.

Mark
    Last edited by mpom; 05-08-12 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    So for me, even though Eezox is probably the best intermediate storage anti-corrosion option, I use CorrosionX because while being very good at corrosion protection, it also provides more useful all-around performance for my firearms, tools, and other metal items. So it's a great lube, you can spray it on electrical contacts, etc., and it's also less toxic (and less smelly) than Eezox. Both are absolutely good for corrosion protection, but I just found CorrosionX had a little more all-around utility in my situation.
    After trying both, this is pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. I use CorrosionX pretty more or less exclusively now. So far, I haven't had any issues. I've even had good luck with CorrosionX for longer-term storage in a climate-controlled and dehumidified safe...Well over a year in some cases with no signs of corrosion.

I still put Eezox on things like mag bodies, but I have a hard time with it. The spray vapors really irritate my asthma. I end up hacking and wheezing after a few minutes, so I try not to use it much.
    Last edited by kerplode; 05-08-12 at 13:53.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    First time i have seen a branded lube or preservative work so well.
    Interested to hear more about the S&W in terms of lubrication.

How well does Eezox work as a lube, or is it best used as a preservative?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    I'd also be interested to hear more about Eezox as a lube. I've seen many mixed reviews of its lube capabilities, with some saying it's fine, others saying they tried it and was a failure from a lube perspective. Especially on platforms that like to run wet. I haven't really tried Eezox as a lube so would be interested to hear if there are positive experiences with running it for extended tests in say AR's or 1911's.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I was doing a bit of researching on the Eezox as a lubricant as well.

I've read conflicting information...some say it's great others say it sucks. One common issue I read was that Eezox uses chlorinated esters as a boundary lubricant. I'm not sure how valid that information is, I did not look for an MSDS from them.

Old information but interesting link:

http://publications.gc.ca/collection...-2-1997-1E.pdf

If I read the information right, Eezox did fairly well as a lubricant.

Currently I'm switching over to the G96 (Mil issued stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I'd also be interested to hear more about Eezox as a lube. I've seen many mixed reviews of its lube capabilities, with some saying it's fine, others saying they tried it and was a failure from a lube perspective. Especially on platforms that like to run wet. I haven't really tried Eezox as a lube so would be interested to hear if there are positive experiences with running it for extended tests in say AR's or 1911's.

Feedback Score
    I hate it that Ballistol did so terrible. I like using it cause it's mostly non-toxic. Was using Breakfree before, but might move over to Weapon Shield now.
    Last edited by vram74; 05-08-12 at 16:32.

Feedback Score

Eezox is pretty thin. I only use it as a preservative. If you want a good there's better products. I'm pretty impressed with Weapon Shield.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score

The S&W product I used was S&W Premium Lubricant & Protectant in the blue bottle with gold cap.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks wh30 for doing this. What is the black looking discoloration in the Tri--Flow washer in the last pics???? Or is that just the camera angle?

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    excellent test, have you thought of adding in ATF?

I do a mix of ATF and Synthetic motor oil cause i find the ATF has pretty decent corrosion resistance

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast