Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesiumsponge View Post
    Man, those torx deck screws are expensive! I just bought a few pounds of the bastards.

Looking forward to the rusty carnage.
    Just regular deck screws period is DAMN expensive right now... its crazy man....
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Looks like you're doing everything first class. I am curious to see how things come out. Thanks for being so detailed.
    I've done a few really basic tests and with what I tested, EEzox or BF LP has always come out on top.

Just one suggestion though, you mentioned "carrying the board". Now, hopefully you're more coordinated than me but I could just see me dropping the board and shuffling all of the washers.
    So, I thought about it... I would take some stout rubber bands and go from screwhead to screwhead to keep things from getting mixed up in case a curious kid was in the area, the wind blew really hard, a pet,...etc.

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post
    Yes, I'm keeping fairly detailed records on this test. They will all be documented here also.

At the request of a member I added a sample protected by Armalube. It's not in the original picture but it and the motor oil protected sample were both on the board before I put it outside.
    This is better than 98% of the crap on TV. I look forward to the daily updates. Thanks for all your hard work on this.
    "This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?"-Iraqgunz

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - B. Munro

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Tagged for interest...thank you for taking the time to do this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezerman1 View Post
    For fun add in mobil 1?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    hah, yes, this. I have spare quarts of that lying around. If it ran well and protected well in a weapon, I could totally use that for cheap, effective gun lube.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Looks like you're doing everything first class. I am curious to see how things come out. Thanks for being so detailed.
    I've done a few really basic tests and with what I tested, EEzox or BF LP has always come out on top.

Just one suggestion though, you mentioned "carrying the board". Now, hopefully you're more coordinated than me but I could just see me dropping the board and shuffling all of the washers.
    So, I thought about it... I would take some stout rubber bands and go from screwhead to screwhead to keep things from getting mixed up in case a curious kid was in the area, the wind blew really hard, a pet,...etc.

But maybe it's just me...

Good advice, thanks!
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Okay Day 2 has arrived and now we're seeing some action. The samples got another misting of salt water last night. This morning I had some rust starting on quite a few players. As you can see in the photos some of these oils just aren't up to the task. It's only gonna get worse from here.

Keep in mind that this is worst case scenario. I'm accelerating the process by hitting them with salt spray. It would be similar to dunking your weapon in the ocean once a day and not cleaning it.

"The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    That is interesting you are seeing that much corrosion that quickly with some products. Are you going to run the experiment to the point every product has exhibited some corrosion?

Although I do worry this is a damning documentary of my life sitting around waiting for metal to rust.
    "This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?"-Iraqgunz

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - B. Munro

Feedback Score
    I'm interested to see how WD-40 holds up. I got 20K miles out of my last motorcycle chain using it.

Feedback Score
    Dammit Frog Lube, why you fail? I knew I shoulda held off on the peer pressure with that one. Non-carginogenic stuff just doesn't work quite as well as good old harsh chemicals, eh? Gotta get some good cancer exposure to properly protect your parts.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast