Thread: Barrel for suppressor use (16" middie)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Barrel for suppressor use (16" middie)

Guys, I wasn't sure which forum this should go in, I hope this is the best place for it. I want to build a high quality/reliability 16" midlength carbine. I've considered the Operator barrel from Denny's, the Sabre Defence midlength, and even a Noveske. I really don't think I need stainless, but I'm not ruling it out yet. I will be using a can sometimes, so I probably should rule out the Sabre Defence due to the profile, right? Does suppressor use affect wear on the stainless Noveske? I think the best one for me is the one from Denny's, but just wanted to confirm. The carbine will see plenty of range time, and even serve as a home defense weapon (hence the desire for reliability).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post
    Guys, I wasn't sure which forum this should go in, I hope this is the best place for it. I want to build a high quality/reliability 16" midlength carbine. I've considered the Operator barrel from Denny's, the Sabre Defence midlength, and even a Noveske. I really don't think I need stainless, but I'm not ruling it out yet. I will be using a can sometimes, so I probably should rule out the Sabre Defence due to the profile, right? Does suppressor use affect wear on the stainless Noveske? I think the best one for me is the one from Denny's, but just wanted to confirm. The carbine will see plenty of range time, and even serve as a home defense weapon (hence the desire for reliability).

Do not get caught up in the details.....all those barrels mentioned will be aboslutely *fine* for a suppressor.

IF its a general purpose midlength AR, then a quality chrome lined barrel from denny, sabre, noveske, lmt, colt will be perfectly suitable.

You can suppress ANY profile barrel without worries in reliability. The only thing that might change with different profile barrels is the standard deviation in POI with the can on/off could be larger with the skinnier, lighter barrels..

Buy what you can afford...get it installed and bust 'em!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    You can suppress ANY profile barrel without worries in reliability. The only thing that might change with different profile barrels is the standard deviation in POI with the can on/off could be larger with the skinnier, lighter barrels..
    Deviation in POI was the main thing I had in mind when deciding between the barrels from Sabre and Denny's. I'd like to minimize that effect, if a worthwhile difference exists. I've only used my can on a 10.3" barrel at close distances so far, and on that the can doesn't change POI enough to matter. I don't have the experience to know how much more pronounced the POI shift will be on a 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    Deviation in POI was the main thing I had in mind when deciding between the barrels from Sabre and Denny's. I'd like to minimize that effect, if a worthwhile difference exists. I've only used my can on a 10.3" barrel at close distances so far, and on that the can doesn't change POI enough to matter. I don't have the experience to know how much more pronounced the POI shift will be on a 16" barrel.

POI deviation is something to consider, while it can be pronounced in some suppressors compared to others, as long as the deviation is repeatable that is the pressing issue.

Do you plan on using magnified optics? Or just a red dot? Iron Sights?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks for your input Derek. Right now, it'll be iron sights and a red dot. I plan to get a magnified optic later on, but it's not a high priority and it won't stay on there all the time. I'm just tired of buying twice, so I want to make sure I have everything covered before ordering this time around. By the way, the can is an AAC M4-1k.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your input Derek. Right now, it'll be iron sights and a red dot. I plan to get a magnified optic later on, but it's not a high priority and it won't stay on there all the time. I'm just tired of buying twice, so I want to make sure I have everything covered before ordering this time around. By the way, the can is an AAC M4-1k.

No problem. Understood on the buying twice issue...

With the M41k coming in @ 19ounces, relatively light. Shift should be minimal, and I think AAC advertises as repeatable shift.

I think all those barrel makers offer a medium profile barrel...your wallet is the limit