Thread: Base and rings- input appreciated. Update 12/8

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Base and rings- input appreciated. Update 12/8

So after wanting a bolt gun to start getting into longer range shooting for the longest time, I finally landed a Rem. 700 Varmint in .308 on a Black Friday doorbuster for $349 after rebate. I will be mounting a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 BDC and shooting will probably be under 600yds, at least for the foreseeable future.

My question is, can someone recommend a good base/rings that won't set me back more than $150 for both? Am I correct to assume that since I am shooting under 600yds with a 26" barrel I shouldn't need a 20MOA base? Also, input as to ring height so that I can clear the bolt is appreciated.

I am new to bolt actions so any other advice is more than welcome.
    Last edited by buckshot1220; 12-08-12 at 16:04.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Step 1 - Google "bedding scope base"

There are several methods for doing so, but all serve the same purpose. I used this method.

Step 2 - If you're on a budget, put the money into the base and installing it correctly (see Step 1). I used the Leupold Mk4 15 MOA steel base, but there are plenty of other good options available too.

With a set of Burris rings, you should be close to your budget. You can always upgrade rings later if you so desire (I used Seekins Precision).

Just my 2-cents, FWIW....

Last edited by Canonshooter; 11-24-12 at 13:57.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Do you need an elevated base? That would depend on the amount of elevation change your scope has, the distance you are shooting, and the bullet you are shooting (weight, velocity, etc.).

There are a number of good ballistic programs on the net that can tell you the trajectory of your bullet. Using that and your scope specs, you can determine how much, if any, additional base elevation you may need.

Before I spent my money on this a couple of years ago, this is what I researched so I knew what to buy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the input guys.

@Canonshooter- How do you like the SWFA scope? I am unsure on the Nikon now and may go the route of a fixed 10x. Also, what height rings are you using on that rifle? Beautiful gun by the way!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1220 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys.

@Canonshooter- How do you like the SWFA scope? I am unsure on the Nikon now and may go the route of a fixed 10x. Also, what height rings are you using on that rifle? Beautiful gun by the way!
    Thanks!

I like the SWFA scope - it is this version. The scope is very well made, consistent/repeatable adjustments and good optical quality. The reticle is very nice!

The rings are Seekins 30mm Low - they are beautifully made and well worth the price.

The base is the Leupold Mk 4, which I selected because it doesn't have the extra rail space up front hanging over the barrel (which I knew I wouldn't need). The base is steel, but does not have the recoil lug found on some of the alloy versions. This is the reason I decided to bond the base directly to the receiver as decribed in the bedding link in my post above.

First trip to the range and I sighted it in with 3 shots at 100 yards. Because of the way Remington 700 receivers are unevenly finished on top, and the way I mounted the base, I only got about 5 MOA of the 15 MOA built in to the base. The SWFA scope has enough internal adjustment to take .308 to about 1000 yards anyway.

On a good day when I do my part, it will shoot Federal Match 168 OTM factory loads to .5 MOA or better;

Good luck with your new rifle!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Thanks!

I like the SWFA scope - it is this version. The scope is very well made, consistent/repeatable adjustments and good optical quality. The reticle is very nice!

The rings are Seekins 30mm Low - they are beautifully made and well worth the price.

The base is the Leupold Mk 4, which I selected because it doesn't have the extra rail space up front hanging over the barrel (which I knew I wouldn't need). The base is steel, but does not have the recoil lug found on some of the alloy versions. This is the reason I decided to bond the base directly to the receiver as decribed in the bedding link in my post above.

First trip to the range and I sighted it in with 3 shots at 100 yards. Because of the way Remington 700 receivers are unevenly finished on top, and the way I mounted the base, I only got about 5 MOA of the 15 MOA built in to the base. The SWFA scope has enough internal adjustment to take .308 to about 1000 yards anyway.

On a good day when I do my part, it will shoot Federal Match 168 OTM factory loads to .5 MOA or better;

Good luck with your new rifle!
    Great shooting. I just scored a lot deal that included an EGW 0moa base and Warne med. rings. At this point I am thinking of going with this scope or it's 12x cousin:
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...pe-P53712.aspx

@ $299.99 it will keep me well within my sub-$1k budget.

My build so far:
    Rem. 700 ADL Varmint- plus tax, less rebate total $386.55
    Lot deal used- (Factory Hogue AAC-SD Ghillie stock, BDL bottom metal, EGW base, Warne rings, EGW bolt knob) $175 shipped

Right now I have $561.55 into this gun. As a beginner I feel it would be very easy to "overscope" this gun so I am trying to find a quality optic I can grow a bit with around $300-350 and then step up to $1k+ scope when the time comes. I have plenty of Aimpoints and Trijicons on other guns, but the money for a Nightforce or Leupold for this build just isn't there right now.
    Last edited by buckshot1220; 11-25-12 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Update!

Since my last post I got the lot deal on stock, bottom metal, base and rings all set up on the gun. I didn't do any bedding yet, though I did buy the materials, as I want to see if there will be a measurable difference before and after. I will be bedding both the recoil lug area (possibly the full action) and the scope base. I also have some metal rod I will be bedding into the forearm to keep the barrel floated when shooting from a rest.

I also went ahead and got the SWFA SS 10x42 Mil/Mil scope and mounted it the other night. I hit the range today and below are some of the results. The first group is actually three shots, though it is almost impossible to tell. The second is also three shots. The gun continued to print sub-1/2MOA groups most of the afternoon when I did my part using Federal GMM 168gr. SMK's.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by buckshot1220; 12-08-12 at 18:56.