Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1000pcs of 308 brass, and I can still feel my hands!

Feedback Score
    that is a super set up i would love to have one like it

Feedback Score
    I checked out that annealer. Doesn't look as good as the bench source. I like that you can stack it full of cases, but I like the versatility of the bench source a bit better.
    out of curiosity what do you do with the bench source that you can't do with the giraud? how is it more versatile?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    what do you do with the bench source that you can't do with the giraud?
    I can run everything from 223 to 338LM (and a bit bigger) without having to buy different feeder wheels and transfer plates. Each feeder wheel/transfer plate kit would run you an additional $30. That makes a $435 annealer almost a $600 annealer to do all the cartridges that I do. Bench Source does them all, and cost me less than $500. Then, having to swap out that shit every time I switch cartridges would be a pain in the ass. Not to mention having to store more shit in my reloading room. With my bench source, I just adjust the torches and maybe make a tiny adjustment to the plate and go. Takes seconds.

I can run two torches, giving me less dwell time and more accurate annealing of the neck/shoulder without as much heat transfer down the body.

The torch adjustment is a lot easier, and more stable on the bench source. Clamp knobs instead of wing screw. When I clamp the torches in place, they stay put.

I like the quasi-case feeder on the giraud, but its not worth it just to get it. I could mate up any case feeder of my choosing to the bench source, but I haven't found the desire. A couple open torches in my house isn't exactly something I want to walk away from for any length of time. Being there watching it also gives me another opportunity to inspect the cases.

Can the giraud do rimmed cases, like 7.62x54R or 45-70? I haven't seen it mentioned, but I seriously doubt it. My bench source handles them just fine.

It's an innovative design, but I tip my hat to the Bench Source.
    Last edited by orkan; 05-05-12 at 13:32.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    To the OP:
    - Wouldn't the proper order of procedures be to anneal the cases first and then re-size them?
    - Why the full length resizing? I assume these are being used in a bolt gun with all this attention to deatail? Seems like most bolt gun reloaders just use bushing neck dies w/o expander balls to reduce the amount of cold working of the brass.
    - I see that you use the annealing to drive off the water from the stainless media tumbling, but don't you need to quench the brass in water as a part of the annealing process?

To other posters that have asked:
    - My understanding of annealing is that properly annealed brass will only show a very light change in color. The darker annealing marks will develope over time. If it is dark immediatly after the heat treatment then it has been over-annealed and should be discarded.
    - I've heard of some shooters who anneal every 1-2 firings, but they are primarily benchrest shooters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    - Wouldn't the proper order of procedures be to anneal the cases first and then re-size them?
    Doesn't really matter. By annealing then resizing, you are automatically adding some work-hardening back into the brass before you fire it. Counterproductive don't you think? In any event, I'm watching closely for any adverse affect to this.

- Why the full length resizing? I assume these are being used in a bolt gun with all this attention to deatail? Seems like most bolt gun reloaders just use bushing neck dies w/o expander balls to reduce the amount of cold working of the brass.
    Says who? The best benchresters I know generally use custom-honed FL sizing dies. A bushing die with no expander mandrel will most often result in non-uniform case mouths. I've had much better luck FL sizing than I have using bushing dies.

- I see that you use the annealing to drive off the water from the stainless media tumbling, but don't you need to quench the brass in water as a part of the annealing process?
    No. Water is required to heat-treat a part. When annealing, you aren't locking in a hardened grain structure. Rather, you are stress relieving. Quenching will actually hurt that process.
    Last edited by orkan; 05-06-12 at 14:39.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Orkan, nice setup. I appreciate the pictures too. I have about 4500 cases that need to be prepped and I'm toying with the idea of a giraud. I'm also considering the Little Crow World's Fimnest Trimmer. Any experience with those?

Feedback Score
    Not that one specifically, but I used other drill-mounted units when I was younger. They all left a lot to be desired.

Not even in the same category as a giraud trimmer.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score

Clean Brass

Thanks for posting Your set up . I had not even heard of the Thumlers Tumbler . I recently bought one . WOW it does a great job . The
    Forster Co-Ax is next on the list Thanks Again.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The Giraud trimmer is the Rolls Royce of case trimming. I probably wouldn't load 5.56 in bulk without one.

Feedback Score
    Glad it could help you.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12