Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery recharging

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

battery recharging

If this is better suited for the lights forum please move. I'm looking for some info on setting ones self up for battery recharging. Unfortunately my searches just turned up a bunch of threads on charging handles and weapons not going in to battery. I realize this is a somewhat broad topic but any info is appreciated. I guess I'm looking initially on recharging AA's, 123's ect. for devices.

Are there certain models (chemical types) you can recharge and certain ones you can't?

How to go about recharging from alternative power sources (say one of the in-the-field solar kits, etc.)?

Size alternatives that may be rechargeable (for example larger size batteries where one could take the place of 2 inline AA's or 123s)?

Are there rechargeable options for the flat watch-type batteries that go in some Aimpoint models for example?

Thanks. Just hoping some one can simplify it for me a bit without having to dig through the volumes over on the candle power forum.
    Last edited by Icculus; 03-27-12 at 11:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    Re charging lithiums can be tricky i would recommend life chemistry for 123a's as it is not prone to explode - if you want to charge multiple chemistries / sizes i would recommend a good hobby charger like those found at rc hobby sites one of them is tower something. I have one of these & while a bit pricey it will tell you the condition of your batteries & can run from 12volts or ac source.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You NEED to have a charger specific for each of the chemistries of the batteries.
    Different chemistries have different charging profiles, some need to be drained prior to charging, others can be topped off....
    Whole different animals.

Also, charge them on well ventilated places, at room temperature, away from flamables/combustibles/explosives.
    Paulo Marcondes -- Brazil.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home

Feedback Score
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 03-27-12 at 16:31.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVZA8&P=ML

One charger does different types if your not technical this is probably not for you as you could blow up a battery easily by setting it wrong but it will charge almost anything out there i use an older model to charge lead acid, nickel cadmium cordless drill packs, lithium 123's, lithium polymer packs,& nimh packs.

Feedback Score
    I decided to go the easy route I use the chargers specific to the batteries but with chargers that can use a 12v cig outlet. I picked up a 20 watt folding panel and a small 12volt 3.5 ah sla battery. With this set up you can charge anything that can be charged using 12 volts and its fairly light. I can also run 5watt 2 meter transceiver or a small 35 watt 2 meter amp. Most of my batteries are aa so I found an 8 bay 12 volt charger which makes charging fast. I found all of it on ebay. I have also set my 30' travel trailer for off grid with solar and I might get a 400 watt windmill later on but hey I'm retired AF what else do I have to do but tinker.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys. I still need to check out some of the links.

Quote Originally Posted by shadenfreude View Post
    Re charging lithiums can be tricky i would recommend life chemistry for 123a's as it is not prone to explode -
    Can you expand a little bit on what you mean by life chemistry for 123's? Is that a particular type or brand? How do they compare in terms of output and run time to say the SF branded 123's in a light?

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So after a little more research it looks like the CR2032 batteries like are used in the T1's are a no go for recharging. It appears that there is a LIR2032??? that may be but it runs at a slightly different voltage (3 vs. 3.6). I haven't seen any but does anybody know of any Aimpoint warnings about using rechargeable batteries or are there any general rules of thumb I should know about for electrical devices such as certain circuitry where rechargeable's are a no-no or how much of a voltage difference is acceptable?

And on a side note I do realize a discussion on recharging a battery that last for 5 years may be a bit silly and academic but figured since I was asking about the other types I'd throw this one in as well. Never hurts to be prepared though I guess.
    Last edited by Icculus; 03-30-12 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A great company that makes all kinds of man portable solar gear:

http://www.goalzero.com

Their stuff is somewhat pricey, but we're used to that. Quality don't come cheap, buy once cry once . . . all that jazz

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I just ordered from Goal Zero, don't have the stuff yet but I would be happy to share my experience one it arrives!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast