Thread: Electric Smart Grid Vulnerable to Massive Failure- Expert Warns of Hacking Danger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Electric Smart Grid Vulnerable to Massive Failure- Expert Warns of Hacking Danger

Scary stuff. Video claims massive threat to hacking of new Smart Grid Electrical System. Not certain what one can do about it - my house has a "smart meter"

Article and youtube link from here:

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...years_04202012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2c1sadZCO60

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2c1sadZCO60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Perfect candidate for a false flag OP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    Perfect candidate for a false flag OP.
    Damn, that thought never crossed my mind as I was going over it. You are right - that would be an untraceable method wouldn't it.
    Last edited by cinco; 04-24-12 at 09:09. Reason: off topic link deleted

Feedback Score
    Or free power.

It's almost like it was planned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by technician View Post
    Or free power.

It's almost like it was planned.
    Great link. This is very interesting stuff. If I may share a portion from your link:

Utilities say they have been hardening the smart meters since they began development, but security consultants say they are worried: If criminals cracked the system, they could remotely install a virus that could shut down power for millions of customers. The new smart meters will have a host of capabilities: They will credit homeowners who produce their own electricity via solar cells or wind mills, be able to wirelessly communicate data to the utility and let utilities turn off the power remotely, among other functions that could be added."Were it telemetry only, then the only compromise is privacy," said Mike Davis, senior security consultant for the security service IOActive. "When you add remote disconnect, then you increase the attractiveness of the meter as a target."

Davis and his team hacked into smart meters last spring as part of a proof-of-concept they showed off at a Las Vegas security conference last summer. They reverse engineered meters they bought on eBay and found in trash bins near installation sites. Then they installed a computer virus that would replicate itself across the wireless network and block the utility from each meter as it went.