Thread: “Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

“Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter.”

http://shop.monolithic.com/products/...-bucket-system

Anyone every own or see one of these water purifying systems?
    For under $60.00 it maybe a inexpensive way to ensure clean/safe water.

Item Description and Filter stats,

The pressurized system provides clean, drinkable water to disaster devastated areas, the Texas Baptist Men initiated the development of a practical, inexpensive, but very effective, ceramic water filter. They call it the “Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter.”

It is described as, "A ceramic, .2 micron water filter. The micron removes water-borne bacterium. The inside of the filter is loaded with different media or ingredients, such as man-made carbons, mother nature carbons and man-made resins. Those different resins and carbons remove the different contaminants in the water.

Product is manufactured to meet:
    National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42
    National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 53
    ISO 9002 Quality Standard
    USA AEL Laboratories
    USA Analytical Food Laboratories
    USA Johns Hopkins University
    British 5750 Quality Standard
    England’s Water Research council (WRc) Performance Standards

The filtration efficiency is 0.2 micron

Removal capabilities as follows:
    >99% Arsenic 5 and 99% Arsenic 3 (special order)
    >99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
    >95% Chlorine and Chloramines
    >99% Taste
    >99% Odor
    >98% Aluminum
    >96% Iron
    >98% Lead
    >90% Pesticides
    >85% Herbicides
    >85% Insecticides
    >90% Rodenticides
    >85% Phenols
    >85% MTBE
    >85% Perchlorate
    >80% Trihalomethanes
    >95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons
    >99.999% of particles larger than 0.5 micron (Staffordshire University Labs) (includes Anthrax)
    >99.7% of particles larger than 0.3 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
    >98% of particles larger than 0.2 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
    >100% Giardia Lamblia
    >100% Cyclospora
    >100% removal of live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard)
    >100% removal of Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 – A.C. fine dust – 4 log challenge)
    >100% removal of E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)
    >99.999% removal of Salmonella Typhil, Shigella Dysenteria, Kiebsiella Terrigena (Hyder Labs)

Product is silver impregnated
    and will not permit bacteria growth-through (mitosis)
    provides a hostile environment for all microbiological organisms and will not support their growth
    Ceramic elements may be cleaned 100 or more times with a soft brush or damp cloth.

Performance Features:
    Flow rate / 14 to 17 gallons a day (gravity flow) ($12.00 Cheaper then Pressure Flow Model)
    Up to 60-70 gallons per day (pressure flow) (Shown)

Filter will accept water from floods, lake, rain, well, tap, river or stream

Semi/Annual filter replacement Cleansable with clean damp cloth.

Shelf life is extended by shaking filter every 3-4 months to loosen media inside and prevent packing
    Once in use, filter will last 6-8 months
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 04-18-12 at 01:19.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm interested. Sounds too good to be true for that price. Why would anyone get a big berkey if this thing is $60?

Also, that pic is super tiny.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When I was researching my Berkey, I found some folks doing DIY gravity water filters with two 5 gallon buckets-one on top of the other, a spigot, and the Berkey carbon and white filters.

The cost was basically just for the berkey filters and therefore, it had the same specs as well. The only thing that deterred me from a DIY project was that I wanted a metal housing for the filters. Even though the buckets are food grade hdpe 2 they still leach stuff into your water which to me is undesirable.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroborous View Post
    Even though the buckets are food grade hdpe 2 they still leach stuff into your water which to me is undesirable.
    Maybe if used for long term water storage but I would think that the user would transfer the purified water to another BPA free container as soon as the bottom bucket was fill so one could purify more water.

Hell if your down to using this system for every day water the possible mynute level of any BPA would be of little concern.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Maybe if used for long term water storage but I would think that the user would transfer the purified water to another BPA free container as soon as the bottom bucket was fill so one could purify more water.

Hell if your down to using this system for every day water the possible mynute level of any BPA would be of little concern.
    Yeah, Even for everyday use the levels would still be pretty minute. I went with the metal frame Berkey because at the time, my wife and I just had our first kid and we wanted to have the best possible drinking water for our family.

This post reminded me that since I store spare Berkey filters and have many 5 gal buckets that I could easily make a DIY filter like the one posted if I needed a filter at a secondary location or a spare. All in all it's a good alternative and I think the cost savings make it a no brainer as long as the wife isn't hounding you about drinking water out of plastic
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've seen those in CTD and have been considering purchasing one plus a spare filter as a just in case. The berkey and katadyn pocket are out of my budget right now but this set up seems like a good way to do it until the budget for a berkey opens up.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

Feedback Score
    I have one in storage and we use one at the deer camp. The ceramic are nice but I would suggest some type of sock prefilter.

You might also check out the Sawyer line of filters they are easier to clean and they last longer. They are also very easy to use no pumps.

http://www.basspro.com/Sawyer-Emerge...7-00005ae34787

http://www.campmor.com/sawyer-point-squeeze-water-filter.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=84704&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliomorris View Post
    I have one in storage and we use one at the deer camp. The ceramic are nice but I would suggest some type of sock prefilter.

You might also check out the Sawyer line of filters they are easier to clean and they last longer. They are also very easy to use no pumps.

http://www.basspro.com/Sawyer-Emerge...7-00005ae34787

http://www.campmor.com/sawyer-point-squeeze-water-filter.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=84704&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
    Great heads-up, thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juliomorris View Post
    These Sawyer filters, in comparison to the ceramic filters, do not filter dissolved solids "including chemicals and heavy metals". Does anyone know if the Purifier would offer protection against these? If not, it would appear that those living near non-organic/natural agriculture, industry, or cities may want to consider ceramics for additional filtration.

The lifetime on the Sawyer filters (one million gallon guarantee) is impressive however.
    Last edited by technician; 04-22-12 at 18:15.