Thread: White powder on lower receiver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

White powder on lower receiver?

So one of my friends here in OKC got an AR and he noticed a white powdery substance on the outside of the magwell on his lower. Said it wipes away with CLP but will randomly come back. Any ideas? I've searched the Internet and haven't come up with anything quite like this. I'm not going to get into brands or manufacturers because I don't think that this is anything that would require sending back nor do I believe it has anything to do with who manufactured the lower, more so te environment it's being stored in. The rifle is kept in a safe when not in use. If you look, you can also see it in the dimples in the front of the magazine.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    tell your "friend" to dunk it in a tub of slip 2000 EWL and take it out and shoot it. Ive seen white stuff on Colt grips and, occasionally, on aluminum forgings. I dunno what the stuff is, but it appears to be somewhat ubiquitous. It's really hard to tell whats what in the uploaded pic because of the flash. From that picture, seems like a non issue, but ill take your word for it that something is funky. Another pic?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoe View Post
    tell your "friend" to dunk it in a tub of slip 2000 EWL and take it out and shoot it. Ive seen white stuff on Colt grips and, occasionally, on aluminum forgings. I dunno what the stuff is, but it appears to be somewhat ubiquitous. It's really hard to tell whats what in the uploaded pic because of the flash. From that picture, seems like a non issue, but ill take your word for it that something is funky. Another pic?
    I'll have to ask him to send another, it really isn't my rifle. None of mine have ever experienced this and I've had them stored in several locations.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Was it new? I have a lower I used Citristrip to remove paint from and it looks like that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Was it new? I have a lower I used Citristrip to remove paint from and it looks like that.
    It's new. Rifle has maybe 150 rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...nd-end-of-comp

dunno if that's relevant at all with an anodized receiver but fyi, fwiw, etc.
    mystery substances do occur.
    Last edited by nolt; 05-29-16 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    I dont recall what brand, but I had a lower that had that. I warmed it up with a blow dryer, applied Froglubed and wiped it off. It never came back.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The white "powder" is most likely dead skin cells or a combination of skin and soap residue. I'll bet money he's been holding the rifle right there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    That and maybe some salt residue also?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post
    The white "powder" is most likely dead skin cells or a combination of skin and soap residue. I'll bet money he's been holding the rifle right there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Never thought of that... Good observation.