Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Red Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Homemade Red Gun Lube

Here's a recipe for homemade gun lube. The good part about making this stuff yourself is that you can alter the viscosity by manipulating the ratios of ingredients to suit your own taste/preference. Use a quart container, like an empty oils jug, as a receptacle/storage container and only make a half quart or so until you get the consistency you like. Obviously if you want it thicker, add more of the thick stuff. If you want it thinner, use less of the thick stuff, or add more thin stuff. The key is using the same measuring device for all ingredients so you can reproduce your results, and don't forget to write down your ratios. Play with it and see what works best for your needs.

The ingredients are:

• 2 parts - Good quality motor oil (multi weight)
    • 2 parts - Good quality ATF
    • 3 parts - Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer (sort of like STP and you don't need a gallon but it is good for your car too!)
    • 2 parts - Hoppe's #9
    • 1 part - Marvel Mystery Oil

Throw it together, mix it up and put it in a dispenser and you're ready to go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How long have you let some of this sit for? Do the different parts seperate and layer out?

Also, how thick is it?

Looks interesting.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Interesting. Why did you add the #9??

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

C4
    For the fragrance?

Feedback Score
    Looks like a variation of Bug Juice which worked pretty well for me. I dont remember the ratios but those are exactly the ingredients minus the marvel mystery oil.
    ETA: i dont know about this one but bug juice smells like hoppes #9. It's the only ingredient that has a strong odor.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 04-26-12 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    How long have you let some of this sit for? Do the different parts seperate and layer out?

Also, how thick is it?

Looks interesting.
    So far it does not seem to seperate but I would not be surprised if it did because of the solvent in the Hoppe's which probably would evaporate off if left open. It (this version) is a little thicker than some Militec-1 that I have but much thicker than CLP etc.

The goal here was to have a lube mix that does not run out of the gun, has some cleaning qualities and is heat resistant

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post

Also, how thick is it?

Looks interesting.
    From my experience with bug juice, the only separation you get is a thick milky sludge that settles on the bottom. I used to just let it sit for a few days then transfer it to different container, leaving the sludge in the previous one.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 04-26-12 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

C4
    To give it some cleaning quality. I think that the #9 could be cut back (1/2) and it would be fine.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gem1950 View Post
    To give it some cleaning quality. I think that the #9 could be cut back (1/2) and it would be fine.
    Generally speaking, I don't want my lube to clean. I want it to lube. When I want to clean the gun, I will use a dedicated cleaner.

Just a thought.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree with Grant.

If you want it to thin a bit, just cut it with mineral spirits. That will give it a bit of cleaning ability too. I really don't see the need for both ATF and Motor Oil. The ATF is a better lube for firearms anyways. It has better anti-corrosion additives.

Also, test it when the weather gets cold. Some homebrews don't play well when temps get cold.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 04-26-12 at 09:44.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast