Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Red Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gem1950 View Post
    To give it some cleaning quality. I think that the #9 could be cut back (1/2) and it would be fine.
    I know with ATF4 trans fluid it has detergents to help with cleaning.
    Last edited by doubleajaybrock; 04-26-12 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For what it's worth, I got the "Bug Juice" recipe from a friend who works security for several of the TVA nuclear power plants. He was on an artillery crew during his time in service. To quote him, they used the bug juice on the big guns and their personal weapons and the Hoppes was added to give the lube "creepiness". According to him, the basic recipe did not film over the metal parts as well without it. I have made it with and without the Hoppes and can see no real difference, but my weapons are not run as hard as many here, so YMMV. This is the recipe as he emailed it to me...

Subject: Bug Juice...

This is the recipe for "Bug Juice". This is a lubricant that the military uses for big guns. This stuff is great for moving parts on shotguns, rifles, etc:

1. One (1) 9 oz. bottle of Hoppes #9
    2. One (1) pint of STP oil treatment
    3. Two (2) quarts Mobile 1, synthetic oil 10w30
    4. One (1) quart Automatic Transmission Fluid

I will bring you a sample when we get back to Arab. Hope everyone is doing okay.

This stuff works well when cold, just make sure you use synthetic oil. It is also thin enough to spread easily and just thick enough to be manageable.
    Last edited by 1gunzenuf; 04-26-12 at 10:31. Reason: additional info

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the main thing to keep in mind about stuff like this is that there are many variations of the ingredients that will work well depending on conditions etc. Eleminating the #9 and/or substituting with mineral spirits would probably be fine. I'm just seeking something that protects, resists high temp. and doesn't run out of the gun.

This is sorta like the "Ed's Red" cleaning solvent mixture which I mix up and use all the time, even use it at the range on the BoreSnake.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gotta admit that I generally agree with Grant on this sort of thing.

I currently use a very lightweight synthetic grease called 'SuperLube' for running my guns, and dedicated cleaning solvents for cleaning (or just a couple of paper towels for wipe down on the MR556).

But, if I were to make a multi-purpose lube such as the ones being discussed in this thread, i'd probably end up using PB blaster or Kroil in place of the Hoppes if my goal was to help this work its way into the nooks and crannies.

While working as a heavy steel worker for the DoD/DoN, I would make a mix of half and half light tool oil and Kroil for my pneumatic grinders and the like. Mine ran much better then anybody elses and I didn't need to take my gear into the tool rooms for maintinence as much as most others.

Then again, simply taking the time to perform proper maintinence on my tools and take care of my gear probably had a lot to do with that as well.

Your tax dollars at work, people.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How much did all of the materials cost you?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    How tasty. Some smelly cocktail made from various petroleum products. I can't wait to breath that stuff in when shooting suppressed.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another reason to stick with a lightweight, food grade, synthetic grease.

http://www.super-lube.com/
    Last edited by GrumpyM4; 04-26-12 at 21:19.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    How tasty. Some smelly cocktail made from various petroleum products. I can't wait to breath that stuff in when shooting suppressed.
    i use a mix of ATF and synthetic motor oil from Mobil 1 and its honestly 100% safe unless injected under your skin.

Feedback Score
    Seems like a lot of extra crap without a distinct advantage but, whatever burps your worm. I think I'll stick to the separate cleaning solvent and continue lubing with Mobil 1 & synthetic ATF.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2 parts - Good quality motor oil (multi weight)
    2 parts - Good quality ATF
    3 parts - Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer (sort of like STP and you don't need a gallon but it is good for your car too!)
    2 parts - Hoppe's #9
    1 part - Marvel Mystery Oil
    For the most part, I'm one of those guys that likes to use actual gun care products on guns, while still understanding that most will run with just about any decent lubrication. However, I have used synthetic motor oil with good results.

I started with the above mix and found it to be a bit on the thin side. I ended up cutting the Hoppe's down to 1 part and increasing the Lucas HDOS by 1 part. I used Royal Purple 20W50 and Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF. I'll give it a go and see what happens. It would be interesting to hear what a lubrication engineer would tell us about this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast