Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Red Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    i use a mix of ATF and synthetic motor oil from Mobil 1 and its honestly 100% safe unless injected under your skin.
    The motor oil still contains Benzene. That is why I say skip it and stick to the ATF. The ATF can do the job all by itself.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Motor oil is not 100%safe, especially after its been burned. Motor oil keeps carbon fouling in solution just like it does in your engine.

I just stick to oil - been 100%. I play chemist enough at school, i dont have to mix shit in my garage. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    A new variation of "Ed's Red" the old gunsmiths used to make..
    Ephesians 6:12

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    The motor oil still contains Benzene. That is why I say skip it and stick to the ATF. The ATF can do the job all by itself.
    I'll certainly agree Benzene is nasty shit, ask any hydrologist. And while I do agree ATF is MUCH better than motor oil if you're looking to breath in the fumes, the majority of ATF is fine to breath but there is still a lot of paraffinic distillate that is a carcinogen to animals and can cause nose and throat soreness.

It's better, but yea, I think a food grease, or something derived from natural oils or the like is the way to go. The OP's post of oil and solvents is not for me. Plus, I don't think I'd just go willy-nilly adding solvents to a bunch of different oils with no idea why or what I was really doing.

I'll go over to whole foods and see if I can find peanut oil or something to try

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    The ATF can do the job all by itself.
    Almost every component there can do the job all by itself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by askani79705 View Post
    A new variation of "Ed's Red" the old gunsmiths used to make..
    Spent the last 2 days racking my brain to try and remember the name of this homebrew. Thanks for letting me sleep tonight.
    How is this any better then any quality gun lube? I have been reading for years about all manner of homebrew lubes. Combining motor oil, cooking oil, lard, ATF, urine etc. But past the cost, which I assume is a boatload better, what is this gonna do for my weapon than a jug of CLP? I've always taken these with a geain of salt. Every oil has it's purpose in life, why cross them for little to no benefit in performance?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    Spent the last 2 days racking my brain to try and remember the name of this homebrew. Thanks for letting me sleep tonight.
    How is this any better then any quality gun lube? I have been reading for years about all manner of homebrew lubes. Combining motor oil, cooking oil, lard, ATF, urine etc. But past the cost, which I assume is a boatload better, what is this gonna do for my weapon than a jug of CLP? I've always taken these with a geain of salt. Every oil has it's purpose in life, why cross them for little to no benefit in performance?
    It's not any better.any quality oil will be fine. America is a nation of tinkerers,Marvel Mystery Oil (mineral spirits) Lucas Oil additive (Gear Oil) are examples of companies that have taken advantage of this.As for me I just use the same oil I put in my truck,
    Ephesians 6:12

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    Every oil has it's purpose in life, why cross them for little to no benefit in performance?
    Because if a little of something is good, more must be better!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I never got mixing stuff together to make some sort of super lube.

What testing have you done to be assured the chemical properties of any of the sunstances hasn't and doesn't change when mixed with the other stuff? How about temprature changes and how the mix fairs when mixed with particles from the combustion process?

What does this receipe do that no COTS solution does?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the price you paid for all of those products, you could have simply gone with a much easier method http://www.amazon.com/FROGLUBE-CLP-L...5560174&sr=8-2 and actually paid less for it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast