Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good 1911 article

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A good 1911 article

Saw this in the loadout room. I personally thought it was a well balanced article. Would like to get the members take on it.

http://loadoutroom.com/1421/the-1911...th-and-legend/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    He makes some good points. I read something on a forum once that applies to the thrust of this article. The 1911 is not a just a gun, it's a hobby. I think that a lot of people do not realize that a 1911, more than any other pistol, requires an intimate knowledge of is mechanics (and a little mechanical inclination) to keep it running well. It's not a do nothing to it kind of gun.
    Last edited by Gem1950; 04-21-12 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    That sounds like a pretty fair asessment. I always make the comparison of a 1970's muscle car, (1911), to a new Honda Accord, (Glock, M&P, etc.)
    Both will get the job done, but the 1911 (muscle car) will do it with much more class. It just needs more TLC to do it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I just wish more people could understand this part! Whether it be about 1911s, AR-15s, M-14 clones, etc etc...

When this gun was built to military contract specs, it worked because every company making the gun used the same set of details and blueprints, but without that military contract, no manufacturer is held to a certain set of specs. They’re not originals, by the true sense of the word, but each are made to the same basic design spec. This is why a 1911 from Kimber looks the same as a 1911 from Springfield and Ed Brown and Remington and so forth.

However, the devil is in the details here. Many people who malign or even pick up and regurgitate the hate about the platform do so for this simple reason. Like any other similar-but-different item on the market, no two manufacturers agree exactly on how to make this gun. Pin placement, part dimensions, clearances, tolerances, all of these basic details change from brand to brand.

Because of these variations, parts that would otherwise drop in are forced to be made oversized and fitted, as what is too big to work in one brand is undersized in another. Ask any gunsmith about “Drop in” parts, and they’ll explain the same thing.

When I first joined this forum and read all the stickied AR knowledge threads, the above message was one of the biggest, if not the biggest piece of information I took home.

Feedback Score
    Very good article. Makes one think about the 1911 platform. Tho I'm sure some people will still say the 1911 is out dated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Got UZI View Post
    Very good article. Makes one think about the 1911 platform. Tho I'm sure some people will still say the 1911 is out dated.
    That is because, unfortunately, thinking is outdated. A lot of people would prefer to just be able to squeze a "safe" trigger and not have to think about anything else while sending 18 rounds down range. I'm not putting down all the plastic guns or their proponents or their conscious preference. The 1911 is just a universe apart, pure and simple.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Indeed they are.. A breed apart.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    I shoot 1911's and "plastic guns" both. I know the pros and cons between them. Those who like to run down 1911's (for the most part) either have shot them much to understand and appreciate them or don't want to put the thought into firearm care/maintaining. I got grilled once due to saying I cleaned my carry gun (weither 1911 or Glock) every 2 weeks. 1911's need routine care...plain and simple.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Got UZI View Post
    I shoot 1911's and "plastic guns" both. I know the pros and cons between them. Those who like to run down 1911's (for the most part) either have shot them much to understand and appreciate them or don't want to put the thought into firearm care/maintaining. I got grilled once due to saying I cleaned my carry gun (weither 1911 or Glock) every 2 weeks. 1911's need routine care...plain and simple.
    I only have one plastic pistol, a LCP! I'm not sure it actually qualifies as a "gun" LOL..

I've been shooting 1911's for awhile and IMO they need to be ran wet and ran a-lot until the grow up. After 1000 or so trouble-free rounds they should run with minimal cleaning if kept lubed. If they don't, they need work. I keep my carry 1911's wet inside and just wipe them down often. I don't mind the oil (FP-10) in fact I kind-a like it.. As for actual cleaning, I rarely clean more often than every 250-500 rounds.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
    That sounds like a pretty fair asessment. I always make the comparison of a 1970's muscle car, (1911), to a new Honda Accord, (Glock, M&P, etc.)
    Both will get the job done, but the 1911 (muscle car) will do it with much more class. It just needs more TLC to do it.
    Yeah but one can get a modern muscle car with more power, more reliability, better handling, more amenities, and better fuel efficiency ect without all the headache. 70's muscle cars like the 1911 have a huge cult following mostly because of nostalgia. And that's fine, I just want folks to acknowledge it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast