Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KAC SR-25 Comparison - MK11 VS EMC

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

KAC SR-25 Comparison - MK11 VS EMC

I am in the market for a kac sr-25, but I am having a difficult time deciding between an older MK11 or a newer gen EMC. Obviously the difference in the gas system and the longer rail are improvements over the older MK11, but are these improvements worth the additional cost. I realize the mk11 barrel is stainless steel and the newer emc is not. Any insight on other improvements would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by gabuzz12; 04-27-12 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IMO, comparing the mk11 and the emc is not an apples to apples comparison. I don't have any personal experience with the emc, but I see it as more of a battle rifle capable of precision shots. The mk11 was designed as a true precision rifle.

In order to decide between the two I would narrow down the type of shooting that the rifle would be used for and then choose accordingly.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    gabuzz, can you post specific KAC model #'s you are comparing since KAC has quite a few flavors of these rifles floating around.

Feedback Score
    Gas and rail length on both are the same. I own an EMC and a 20" LWM, which is basically a MK-11 with a URX rail - I even have the MK-11 suppressor for it.

In my mind, no question, get the EMC. It is every bit as accurate, weights a lot less, has the same range and has much better features over a MK-11. Things like collapsible stock, elongated ejection port, sand-cut bolt carrier, dimpled barrel, URX over the FF RAS, threaded muzzle etc. While the EMC's barrel is chrome lined, it is still a sub-MOA accurate barrel.

Feedback Score
    I was issed an Mk11 and used it for about 3 year... loved it! when I was looking to get an SR25 for personal use I was having the same debate you are now. I ended up saving 2k and went with the LMT MWS, very similar rifle, uppers and lowers are compatible with KAC up until the LMT quick change barrel system (a feature that I don't really plan on using, but it does give options).
    In the pic:
    The Ergo Grips was added, Along with the Folding Stock Adaptor, and the LMT MWS come standard with an enhanced charging handle but it was not compatible with the Folding Stock Adaptor, so I replaced it with an ar10 charging handle. With money I saved I picked up the Trijicon optic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LawTac; 04-29-12 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How and why does a gas gun have a folding stock adaptor? Found the How at law tactical, but the Why still remains, why do I want to put another step into making my weapon function?

http://www.lawtactical.com/ar-folding-stock.html

Quote Originally Posted by LawTac View Post
    I was issed an Mk11 and used it for about 3 year... loved it! when I was looking to get an SR25 for personal use I was having the same debate you are now. I ended up saving 2k and went with the LMT MWS, very similar rifle, uppers and lowers are compatible with KAC up until the LMT quick change barrel system (a feature that I don't really plan on using, but it does give options).
    In the pic:
    The Ergo Grips was added, Along with the Folding Stock Adaptor, and the LMT MWS come standard with an enhanced charging handle but it was not compatible with the Folding Stock Adaptor, so I replaced it with an ar10 charging handle. With money I saved I picked up the Trijicon optic.
    Last edited by krm375; 04-29-12 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    My God that folding stock adapter looks like a cluster waiting to happen - the number of parts you have to add to make it work (maybe I mean unwork since you can't fire the rifle with it folded) boggles the mind.

I hope gabuzz chimes in here soon with specific KAC model numbers. From speaking to him earlier, I think he is looking at 16" versions of the KAC EMC (last year's with the dimpled barrel and chrome lined barrel) and some sort of "Legacy Carbine" that has MK11 laser engraved onto the lower, but is also a 16" and can be had in a chrome lined barrel or stainless depending on which one gabuzz wants to buy from this distributor. I don't believe the "MK11" this distributor is selling is the 20" gun KAC sold to the Corps, but some version of the gun with the SOPMOD stock and 16" barrel. I believe the gas system on these "legacy carbine SR25s" (as the distributor is calling them) is shorter than what KAC currently offers in the guns.

I hope this helps shed a little light on the OP's question, I wish I knew more about all of the different versions and the evolution of the SR25 series guns to offer more insight.

Feedback Score
    Why? Its a system we developed for vehicle/aircrews so that M4s could be stored onboard in tight storage spaces, but has many other applications. Anytime you need a smaller profile weapon for transport/ storage. It is by no means a perfect situation, but eliminates the need for a replacement weapons system (which most likely has incompatible mags/ammo such as an MP5 P90 or MP7) simply because you could not fit/ conceal/store an M4 or even mk18 in the area you would like it to fit. The same drag bag could be used for the SR25 and whatever folding stock bolt action rifle you chose. As for adding a step, yes it needs to be unfolded before operation, but no buttons or switches need to be manipulated so no fine motor skills are required and it take less then a third of a second.

Getting back on track, I loved my Mk11 but I had to be carful with it (all them I have used had this issue). If any rearward pressure was placed on the magazine, such as leaning on sand bags and the mag would press on them, I would have a failure to feed. I have not had this issue with the MWS, and have been told its not (am much) an issue with the M110, any word on the EM or EMC??
    Last edited by LawTac; 04-29-12 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    I see - makes sense if there is no time to mate a separated lower and upper combo.

Wonder where gabuzz is with further info...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I appreciate all your comments thus far, but I should have been more specific in my post as to the actual model numbers I am interested in comparing. KAC P/N 25649 is the commercial version of the MK11. See link for pic and more description.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49287

Scroll down in the thread and you will see a more detailed description.

The 2011 KAC EMC P/N 25846 is the other model I would like to compare. See link (bottom rifle)

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49287

As you will see, both rifles are 16" and the only difference I see is the rail length and gas system changes. I'm just wondering if these changes are worth the extra $$ to get the EMC. Thanks again for all your comments and help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast