Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Second thoughts about my 300BLK build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnutAF View Post
    El Cid
    I take it you have zero experience shooting anything but paper? Cause if you had you'd know what a 30 caliber High powered round will do to two legged perps! The 110 Vmax will put BG's down -bet your life on it! The Atlanta Arms 125 gr pink tip ammo would be my second choice for Indoors SD. Next is what I use, 130 gr Speer HP's I wanted something with some barrier penertration just incase.
    All supers no subs for me
    If I have shot anyone with any caliber I would not be stupid enough to post it on the Internet. We aren't talking about any 30 caliber... We are discussing the 300 BLK. Have you, or anyone else for that matter, shot "two legged perps" with 300 BLK?

As I've said before... I may be proven wrong but I don't see the justification for the hype on this caliber. I'm open to learning more about it but I don't see how it improves my ability to stop a threat over 5.56. This is especially true for our warfighters down range as 300 BLK runs out of gas in a hurry.

I have not heard of a single use of it on a person and when people make statements that it's "extremely deadly" because they shot some water bottles it just furthers my belief that nobody knows what it will do.

I'll say it again... If I feel it's necessary to step up from 5.56 it will be to the proven 7.62x51.

Feedback Score
    There will always be caliber debates. In this case, going to 300 BLK does not reduce magazine capacity like going from 9mm to 45.

This is a fact I did not expect until I ran the math - the difference in bullet area from 9mm up to 45 is much less than the difference going from 223 up to 30 cal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that it mght have been a mistake to release the 300blk first in subsonic. There seems to be a group of people who can not get beyond the "subsonic". I have Glock 21s that shoot a 230 grain hardball, but I don't equate that round to a 300 blk.
    This is very true to a point, especially in conjunction with it being attached to a silencer company, combines to make people think it's a subsonic suppressed only round.

It's with supersonic ammo that the terminal performance shines.

And another aspect for HD and mobility is that the 300BLK is much more efficient than 5.56 (and 6.8, etc) in short barrels, so you can build an 8" gun and not be limited in terms of terminal effects, while still maintaining a lot of mobility.

In a 16" gun, a 5.56 would serve just as well in that roll (but would still give you more muzzle blast).
    Last edited by JasonM; 04-29-12 at 10:59.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm still amazed st the number of folks who continue to view the 300blk as worthless or a solution without a problem. Its amazing because for years I have had to listen to folks say how much they loved the ergos and modularity of the AR platform but wished it had more "punch" like an AK. Well the 300blk comes along and pretty much gives us that so now what's not to love? It was never designed to hunt with at 500+ yards nor was it designed to replace the. 7.62 NATO yet everyone tries to make such comparisons.
    To me its a great cartridge for where I see my needs....300yds and under. I hate AR's because they don't fit me well and I simply shoot and handle AR's better. Now I don't have to settle for the terminal ballistic disadvantages of 5.56 as compared to 7.62x39 by using the 7.62x35 in the very AR platform that I love.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also agree it is at somewhat over-hyped. It's basically just a 7.62x39 packaged to fit in an AR. One of the main reasons its taken off is more so related to parts compability with a standard 5.56 AR, than some shocking revelation in cartridge design.

It's never gonna replace the 7.6x51 or 5.56, it just fills a role somewhere in between.

And I don't really understand why it won't "work." It is ballistically similar to the .30-30, and thats been killing deer for over 100 years. I would also say that the 7.62x39's combat record stands for itself as well. Its not like designing a 110-130 gr bullet that expands reliably but doesn't fragment at 2200-2300 fps is something modern manufacturers are not capable of. Despite the fact that most people here on M4C have not shot other people, I would have to think that most folks would agree that a catridge that reliably kills deer/hogs would be effective against 2-legged critters.

My personal interest in the cartridge is related to how well it lends itself to suppression. I had looking at the 300/221 for awhile, but the widespread support this cartridge has received tipped it over the edge for me.

Its silly to denounce it as an "useless" cartridge or make it sound like its barely a step above throwing stones. It just a niche cartridge that came along at the right place and the right time, with the marketing support of the big giants (AAC, Remington).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    I'm still amazed st the number of folks who continue to view the 300blk as worthless or a solution without a problem. Its amazing because for years I have had to listen to folks say how much they loved the ergos and modularity of the AR platform but wished it had more "punch" like an AK. Well the 300blk comes along and pretty much gives us that so now what's not to love? It was never designed to hunt with at 500+ yards nor was it designed to replace the. 7.62 NATO yet everyone tries to make such comparisons.
    To me its a great cartridge for where I see my needs....300yds and under. I hate AR's because they don't fit me well and I simply shoot and handle AR's better. Now I don't have to settle for the terminal ballistic disadvantages of 5.56 as compared to 7.62x39 by using the 7.62x35 in the very AR platform that I love.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    I think you're crossing the streams. Unlike you, I assume that all the same people that kept blathering on about wanting "7.62x39 performance in an AR package" are the same ones that can't get enough of this round. I never understood the first "problem" so I guess that's why I struggle to see the new "solution".

Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    It is ballistically similar to the .30-30, and thats been killing deer for over 100 years.
    and stones tossed from slings killed a bunch more before that. I find this argument even more confusing than the 7.62x39 argument. Are we really going to go backwards?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    El Cid
    I take it you have zero experience shooting anything but paper? Cause if you had you'd know what a 30 caliber High powered round will do to two legged perps!
    I would be very interested to hear about "two legged perps" shot with 300 Blackout. Extra points if you did the shooting.

Feedback Score
    It's never gonna replace the 7.6x51 or 5.56, it just fills a role somewhere in between.
    Okay, but what specifically does it do in between? Everyone keeps saying how great the 300 is for HD or inside 200yds. I have yet to see or hear about close range shootings in any environment where 5.56 was inadequate. I honestly don't need an AR with a bbl shorter than 11.5" for indoor work. Hell, my duty rifle has a 14.5" bbl and I make it work in cars and structures.

And I don't really understand why it won't "work." It is ballistically similar to the .30-30, and thats been killing deer for over 100 years. I would also say that the 7.62x39's combat record stands for itself as well. Its not like designing a 110-130 gr bullet that expands reliably but doesn't fragment at 2200-2300 fps is something modern manufacturers are not capable of. Despite the fact that most people here on M4C have not shot other people, I would have to think that most folks would agree that a catridge that reliably kills deer/hogs would be effective against 2-legged critters.
    I don't believe I have ever suggested it won't work. I just want to see more data - the real kind, not shooting water jugs. With regard to a bullet killing hogs and deer getting an A+ for killing people... I don't see that as any more appropriate than using water for an expansion test medium. Deer and hogs do get an advantage pyschologically in that they don't know they have been shot and are supposed to stop doing what they are doing like some people. But critters also don't use cocaine, PCP, meth, etc. making them harder to put down.

Modern manufacturers can creat lots of great stuff. But for me... to spend the money on a new bbl, ammo that is significantly more expensive, and use a bullet that limits me on range significantly more than my current 5.56... it's going to have to be an amazing cartridge. I'm in the process of consolidating. For my needs, 5.56 does all I need it to do - from contact to 600yds.

If I really need to launch a big bullet at a person at close range, I already have that. It's called a shotgun with a 1oz slug. And the shotty and ammo are MUCH cheaper than the 300BLK.

Its silly to denounce it as an "useless" cartridge or make it sound like its barely a step above throwing stones. It just a niche cartridge that came along at the right place and the right time, with the marketing support of the big giants (AAC, Remington).
    Again - I don't recall saying 300 is useless. Maybe you are addressing someone else. But I am extremely confident in my ability to use 5.56 to stop bad, angry people. I am not in that group who allegedly wanted "more punch" or an AK type bullet in my AR. I'm very happy with my AR and know that it will do it's part as long as I do mine.

I am not a lottery winner or a blue blood... I am therefore not willing to spend money on "niche cartridges" just to have them. I feel it's more appropriate to spend that money on more 5.56 ammo, on formal training, on range fees for competitions, etc.

Feedback Score
    El Cid
    Well I haven't had the oprotunity yet? But I've seen enough folks removed from this earth with 30 caliber rounds to know what they do.
    Removed enough four legged critters to further my knowledge on the matter. I have no doupt what the 300 blk will do. So yea it's just not papper holes.

Feedback Score
    El Cid
    Well I haven't had the oprotunity yet? But I've seen enough folks removed from this earth with 30 caliber rounds to know what they do.
    Removed enough four legged critters to further my knowledge on the matter. I have no doupt what the 300 blk will do. So yea it's just not papper holes.
    Oh... got it. So, you have "seen" people killed, and killed animals with .308/7.62x51 and that directly correlates into 300BLK being equal to it? Bascially the same bullet with less powder driving it...

So then, we know .223/5.56 is effective at that task, therefore using your logic, the 5.7x28 (.224) will be just as effecitve as 5.56x45! Same bullet with a smaller shell casing and less powder. Oh wait... yea, that didn't pan out so well.

Bottom line is you are just guessing at the terminal effectiveness on humans. Until it happens, nobody really knows. If you like 300BLK, then go crazy. But don't try to push it on others as something that nobody has proof of it being. If it proves effective on the street - then great. I'm not saying it won't. I'm saying it's too early to call.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast