Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second thoughts about my 300BLK build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Second thoughts about my 300BLK build

I was planning on building a suppressed SBR in the very near future for home defense exclusively...but I was at a gun shop today and heard this:

"Shooting a suppressed 300BLK has the energy equivalent of shooting a suppressed .45, except with less mobility."

Sure, I can get on target faster, have a bigger magazine and can place shots on target a little quicker at home defense distances...but he has a point, and there's over a $1000 difference between a good canned .45 pistol and a good canned 330BLK rifle. Can someone reassure me?

Feedback Score
    Are you going to use subsonic or supersonic ammo?

Looking at the different loads, the subsonic ammo is about the same as the 45ACP for muzzle energy. However if you go to supersonic, you will be ~3 times the muzzle energy of a 45ACP round.

I would build it and use supersonic rounds.

Just my .02.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I was going to use subsonic, because of the noise factor if I have to use a firearm indoors. If I were going to use supersonic I would just use my suppressed AR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't forget about the ballistic coefficient of the bullet. A subsonic 300blk bullet will fly further, faster than a .45acp. You will also have a carbine platform to shoot it out of, which will have a longer sight radius and/or better optics than a pistol and (as mentioned) the ability to go supersonic

Now, if you are just looking for subsonic, suppressed blasting, go 9mm. It'll be more quiet, cheaper and you will have tons of pistol and carbine options.
    Last edited by chrismartin; 04-26-12 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    For your single use, home defense, it may be the same as a .45 acp. A .45 handgun would win in the concealment department. However, the 300 blk carbine is much more versatile than a 1911.

It all depends on what you want it for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From the sounds of your intended purpose of home defense, I'd save the $ and get the .45 suppressed. But I'm weird like that (and I use a .45 for my bump-in-the-night gun.
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    What is wrong with supersonic suppressed in a 300 blk sbr? That is what I would consider darn near perfect for HD. I wouldn't go subsonic because you don't need to be that quiet and you don't want to sacrifice terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    How about a 12ga and some ear plugs? ;-)

I think 45acp is just about the perfect choice for home defense (assuming you are staying INSIDE the house):

It's got plenty of power
    It's much easier to keep safe (vs a long gun)
    Unless you having training, A pistol is easier to navigate through tight corners, etc.
    My glock21 holds 13rds - hard to imagine that isn't going to be enough for hom defense, but I keep a spare mag just in case.
    great COMMERCIAL self defense loads are available.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why would you not stick to suppressed supersonic ammo? Its suppressed so you practically eliminate the muzzle blast which is what hurts your ears. At in home distances there isn't much flight time for the sonic crack to be much if an issue. I would stick to supersonic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Why would you not stick to suppressed supersonic ammo? Its suppressed so you practically eliminate the muzzle blast which is what hurts your ears. At in home distances there isn't much flight time for the sonic crack to be much if an issue. I would stick to supersonic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    WINNER!

Suppressed supersonic is still MUCH quieter than nothing at all.

Which if you're fine with that, reopens any number of possibilities.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 04-27-12 at 16:13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast