Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Second thoughts about my 300BLK build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is currently no subsonic 300 BLK I would consider for HD. Even when there is reliably expanding 300 BLK subsonic it probably won't be optimal for HD.

I see subsonic as useful for very limited MIL applications, varmints, and fun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The question I've been asking lately, and haven't found an answer yet, is whether an expanding subsonic 9mm hollowpoint has better performance in soft targets than a non-expanding 300 BLK. I honestly don't know the answer or how to figure it out, but it's an interesting question.
    Considering the over penetration issues, that should be pretty straight forward.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies- if I were going to go supersonic, I'd just use a suppressed AR. Cheaper ammunition, not much louder, and in terms of practicality, it's all there.

The 300BLK round for me is novelty now. I'd still like to get one, but I wouldn't be shooting it very much unless I reloaded, because I just can't justify a mag dump on $.80 a round.

I guess I'm going to build a suppressed 5.56 SBR and go with 147gr subsonic 9mm...
    Last edited by shaneinhisroom; 04-27-12 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    I think your last post hit it. Use an AR shooting supersonic ammo. Less over penetration issues. 300 blackout seems like a lot for home defense. Subsonic 300 blackout will go through rail road ties. I wouldn't want to shoot it in the house, terminal performance not withstanding.

I 3 loaded firearms in the house. an AR loaded with 5.56 suppressed, 9mm subsonic, and a 12 gauge. I am building a 300 blackout but i wouldn't use it in that role.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The question I've been asking lately, and haven't found an answer yet, is whether an expanding subsonic 9mm hollowpoint has better performance in soft targets than a non-expanding 300 BLK. I honestly don't know the answer or how to figure it out, but it's an interesting question.

That is a good question, but I guess if you had to shoot something why would you use non-expanding 300blk ever? Is the comparison subsonic to subsonic? I'd use that 110gr hunting ammo in a second, which I think we can both agree is harder hitting than any 9mm.

Either way, since I think I'd only ever had to shoot soft targets if anything the MP5/MP5k and can makes a fine house carbine. Much more so that a sbr 223 imo (I think I'd rather shoot myself that pop off a bunch of 10" 223 inside with no plugs). Exaggerating ofcourse.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why would you not stick to suppressed supersonic ammo? Its suppressed so you practically eliminate the muzzle blast which is what hurts your ears. At in home distances there isn't much flight time for the sonic crack to be much if an issue. I would stick to supersonic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Why would you not stick to suppressed supersonic ammo? Its suppressed so you practically eliminate the muzzle blast which is what hurts your ears. At in home distances there isn't much flight time for the sonic crack to be much if an issue. I would stick to supersonic.

WINNER!

Suppressed supersonic is still MUCH quieter than nothing at all.

Which if you're fine with that, reopens any number of possibilities.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 04-27-12 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post

Hadn't thought about that. Good point. Again, in this case, 5.56 offers more benefits than 300BLK. I'll just stick to that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    There is currently no subsonic 300 BLK I would consider for HD. Even when there is reliably expanding 300 BLK subsonic it probably won't be optimal for HD.

I see subsonic as useful for very limited MIL applications, varmints, and fun.
    Exactly.

Feedback Score
    Suppressed supersonic 300 BLK is far better than subsonic.

As for someone saying a handgun is better than an AR due to more mobility - I don't buy that at all. One can generally have much better shot placement with an AR than any handgun.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast