Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Second thoughts about my 300BLK build

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The question I've been asking lately, and haven't found an answer yet, is whether an expanding subsonic 9mm hollowpoint has better performance in soft targets than a non-expanding 300 BLK. I honestly don't know the answer or how to figure it out, but it's an interesting question.

Feedback Score
    How about a 12ga and some ear plugs? ;-)

I think 45acp is just about the perfect choice for home defense (assuming you are staying INSIDE the house):

It's got plenty of power
    It's much easier to keep safe (vs a long gun)
    Unless you having training, A pistol is easier to navigate through tight corners, etc.
    My glock21 holds 13rds - hard to imagine that isn't going to be enough for hom defense, but I keep a spare mag just in case.
    great COMMERCIAL self defense loads are available.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was, and I'm still, very excited about 300BLK. But I haven't bought in yet. My primary use initially would have been for fun at the range, and based on that I built a 9mm suppressed SBR instead. I don't regret that at all, it's a *really* fun setup and relatively cheap to shoot.

But, since I first heard about 300BLK I've been wondering the same thing Rob posted above. If you want to use it in an HD role with a subsonic round, is it any better or worse than the 9mm with quality expanding projectiles? I'd love to know the answer to that.

As was already mentioned, if I were to use 300BLK for HD, even suppressed, I'd probably want to use a supersonic load until I know more about the subsonic performance. That said, I'm sure there's some info out there and I haven't been looking for a while. I know there are people using subsonic 300BLK for hunting with success. For now I'm still using a short barrelled 5.56 AR loaded with barrier blind ammo for HD.

Feedback Score
    There is currently no subsonic 300 BLK I would consider for HD. Even when there is reliably expanding 300 BLK subsonic it probably won't be optimal for HD.

I see subsonic as useful for very limited MIL applications, varmints, and fun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The question I've been asking lately, and haven't found an answer yet, is whether an expanding subsonic 9mm hollowpoint has better performance in soft targets than a non-expanding 300 BLK. I honestly don't know the answer or how to figure it out, but it's an interesting question.
    Considering the over penetration issues, that should be pretty straight forward.
    Stick

I have been asked to point out that I am Magpul's photographer. I have also done work for 95 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my work has been used for web, catalog, banners, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military where it has been used in training aids. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus is weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. If you have something new, let me know.

Newest pictures uploaded here at my Flickr account

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies- if I were going to go supersonic, I'd just use a suppressed AR. Cheaper ammunition, not much louder, and in terms of practicality, it's all there.

The 300BLK round for me is novelty now. I'd still like to get one, but I wouldn't be shooting it very much unless I reloaded, because I just can't justify a mag dump on $.80 a round.

I guess I'm going to build a suppressed 5.56 SBR and go with 147gr subsonic 9mm...
    Last edited by shaneinhisroom; 04-27-12 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    I think your last post hit it. Use an AR shooting supersonic ammo. Less over penetration issues. 300 blackout seems like a lot for home defense. Subsonic 300 blackout will go through rail road ties. I wouldn't want to shoot it in the house, terminal performance not withstanding.

I 3 loaded firearms in the house. an AR loaded with 5.56 suppressed, 9mm subsonic, and a 12 gauge. I am building a 300 blackout but i wouldn't use it in that role.
    Damien

I really want to help you and I will listen to your questions, but my answer will be "get a 6920, a Glock 19, an Arsenal AK, and a Spyderco Delica. Then plant an Aimpoint tree and hope it grows".

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast