Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'best' exercises

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

'best' exercises

If you have limited time in which to work out, and could only do 2-3 exercises per body part (i.e., arms, chest, shoulders, back), gym or no gym, what would you do?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Squat, deadlift, bench press, and pull up. You may want to look at a Starting Strength. Its a routine that doesn't require many exercises but is great for building strength.
    Last edited by nubs101; 04-28-12 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Well, gym or no gym is the kicker so here is what I think.

Biceps and back: Pull ups, chin ups and behind the head pull ups (can't remember what they are called). Plus pull ups and their variations work all kinds of other muscles as well

Chest and triceps: Different varriations of push ups. Regular push ups, wide push ups and pushups with your hands together. Throw in some dips on a chair also.

Legs: I'm going to say distance running, because you also get the added cardio. For those with time issues, lunges and squats (body weight).

With these, you would have all your bases covered and save a bar to do pull ups, you would not need any equipment.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    If you have limited time in which to work out, and could only do 2-3 exercises per body part (i.e., arms, chest, shoulders, back), gym or no gym, what would you do?
    Did you mean 2-3 sets per body part? If I have limited time, I'm doing one exercise per body part (3-5 sets).

Quote Originally Posted by nubs101 View Post
    Squat, deadlift, bench press, and pull up.
    This, but add the military press too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    Well, gym or no gym is the kicker so here is what I think.
    Yes, this is a vague post. Gym or no gym? What do you want out of your workout? Strength, mass, overall physical fitness, etc.?
    Last edited by LMT42; 04-28-12 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Not vague at all; if you think it is vague, then you read too much into it. If not specified, then make your choices based on your opinion.

Thanks to all for input.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Big compound movements:

Squats
    Benchpress
    Military Press
    Deadlifts
    Cleans
    Dips
    Chins/Pullups
    Core Work

I too would suggest Starting Strength (3rd Edition)by Mark Rippetoe for a beginner or intermediate. The Strongest Shall Survive by Bill Starr is an excellent program to follow SS. I have also used with great success Dante Trudel's DoggCrapp (DC) Training. DC workouts are quick and brutal but not for the novice or early intermediate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One other thing to add, when you start with this compound lifts don't worry about weight. Start light and really focus on your form.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think what was meant by "gym or no gym" was whether the OP was going to join a gym or workout from home. I think the OP needs to specify one or the other. I was going to ask, if work out from home what kind of equipment investment is the OP willing to make? The answers to this will make a lot of difference to many people in terms of what they recommend.

I'm a fan of minimalist, bodyweight stuff. Also if your goal is general fitness then running, biking, or some other type of cardio is important, probably more important than just strength training for most people.

Feedback Score
    Bodyweight- Swimming sprints is a great total body workout, running sprints or fast 5ks are good, chin ups, wrestling/sparing. The sprints work all your lower abs/obliques and hip flexors better than anything.

Free weights- squats, deadlifts, benchpress, kettle balls, l really like barbell rows for back. l'm not much into weights l'm usually spent from the above activities and l dont like being really sore or l cant run/swim very well.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks for all the answers. I, in fact, do many of these, but in an effort to stave off stagnation and to prevent becoming bored, and to utilize my very minimal workout time on some days, I am always looking for a) different exercises, and b) more efficient/expedient exercises. I belong to a gym and go 2-3 times a week; non-gym days I do either a circuit involving body weight or minimal weights, and I run. My goal is general fitness and weight/body fat loss (not huge, but could stand to take off 15 #).
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast