Thread: Exercise mat over carpet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Exercise mat over carpet

Anyone have any suggestions for an exercise mat that goes over carpet that will not slip around while working out? Insanity workout is starting to tear up my carpet at bit. Something about 6'x6'.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They make gym mats but they are $$$ could try a horse trailer mat.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Horse trailer/stall mats are what I use. However, that is in the garage. I don't know how well they would work on the carpet with all that sliding around/change of direction.

The stall mats are ~$40 for a 4'x6'x3/4" from your local feed store.'

There is this, but I think this would work even less on a carpeted surface. At least the stall mats are heavy (>105#s a piece).
    RmG

Tu ne cede malis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think I may have to eventually convert a room for working out. The garage gets too hot.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomByU View Post
    I think I may have to eventually convert a room for working out. The garage gets too hot.
    The trick is keeping the air moving vs. actively cooling the air (as in by an air-conditioner). If you have an exposed ceiling (i.e. rafters) or a tall ceiling (like a shop), you could look at putting a couple ceiling fans in the rafters and circulating the air. If you have enough space, you can sometimes luck up and find some heavier industrial type fans that will move significant amounts of air.

With the moving air, it will actively cool you by aiding the perspiration in evaporation. Think this or a couple of these pointed in specific directions to circulate the air.

Is your part of TX a dry heat or moist, humid, breathing underwater kinda heat?
    RmG

Tu ne cede malis

Feedback Score
    Back to the mats: I got one of those interlocking mats made of spongy black squares they come apart and slide around, also during Insanity workouts. I'll check a feed store but 6 by 4doesnt sound big enough. Any othe ideas?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Back to the mats: I got one of those interlocking mats made of spongy black squares they come apart and slide around, also during Insanity workouts. I'll check a feed store but 6 by 4doesnt sound big enough. Any othe ideas?
    I agree with the 4x6 not being enough for Insanity. When I was trying the program out, I remember using the majority of the space in my living room. Maybe if you had three or four of them all connected together with seam tape underneath? My local feed store also has 4'x8' mats so two seamed together will give you a heavy duty 8' square. Several rubber mats seamed together = $$$. I know that the flooring in my garage gym is the most expensive piece second only to the platform/power rack and bumpers.

The interlocking foam pads may work. However, depending on the pile height on the carpet, I would imagine that you will have your pieces coming apart while moving. Advantages that I see with that method are cost, cushion and the fact that they will "float" like a laminate floor. However, that floating factor may be a negative if it does it too much (esp. if the foam tiles are extremely light).

Just some thoughts.
    RmG

Tu ne cede malis

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Maybe sheets of OSB underneath the foam tiles? That would eliminate the tile speration during movement and allow you to adhere the tiles to the OSB.

If you are married and re-purposing the living room..... might want to ask first before dragging in 4'x'8' sheets of lumber; lest you find out how big of a f*ck up that was after the fact.

RmG

Tu ne cede malis

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    :headdesk:

I now realized that you were saying you have already tried the foam pads. I'll eat my crow.
    RmG

Tu ne cede malis

Feedback Score
    No biggie. When I'm feeling smoked, it's a good time to reposition the mat!