Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any EMT's in here?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I'm not an EMT yet but my father is an EMT-I and instructor and I hold a Sr. level certification from the NSP and am currently working on becoming an instructor for them as Wilderness first aid is my cup of tea and work with a bunch of EMTs and Medics.

Hopefully this will be of some use but if not, feel free to ignore it.

My dad worked for a small agency and was making 15 an hour as an EMT I 20 years ago up in MA.

All my buddies that are medics started as basics and worked their way up. Occasionally one has lots of down time at the squad house I hear.
    Two out of my three medic buddies are in PA school.
    One is also the designated medic for the local SWAT team.
    Another is on the local helicopter ALS squad.
    Once two out of three of my kids are in school I plan on getting my B and working my way up to at least I, maybe to medic if that's my cup of tea.

If you are going to be living in an area with a paid ski patrol you can challenge that test after you have your B and work at the mountain part time during the winter for added cash. Not a major source of income but I make ten bucks an hour in the winter to ski and hang out with my buddies. Couldn't live off that alone but my two nights a week are my ammo budget for the summer .

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The down side to starting out by going straight to paramedic is that you invest a lot of time and money training for a field you might not like. Civilian EMS may be a different experience than what you saw in the military. EMT-B is generally a one semester class (give or take depending on State and local requirements.) It gives you a chance to get out on the road and see what you're getting in to. I think one of the reasons we see so much turnover in the EMS field us that lots of people like the idea of being a medic, but the reality doesn't meet their expectations.

Feedback Score
    What area are you planning on living in once you get out?
    I would research the EMS providers in that area.
    As a basic you aren't likely to make 35,000 a yr right out of the gate anywhere you go.
    I would get your basic, get a job as a basic and then continue on with medic school as soon as possible.
    The reason I say that is simple....as a working basic going though medic school you will be able to get some real world experience that you can relate to scenario based training in school, you can work on your bedside manner, you can ask for help ALL THE TIME from the seasoned medics you work with and stuff will just 'click' better for you when you are learning about it if you're around it every day at work too.
    I'm in Dallas and work for a private company and we're pretty full up on people but I know that in some parts of the country its a complete 180 and they couldn't fill a schedule if someone was holding a gun to their head.
    Just look around and don't let money be your only deciding factor.
    Take into account the type of work, benefits, availability of various shifts and size of the fleet.
    Nothing sucks worse than showing up for your shift only to find out all the trucks are out and the ones that aren't out are in the shop.....then you get sent home and miss those hours.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Hey gents,

again, thanks for all the info.

Ive emailed some college advisors and asked about their programs. They all recommended getting my EMT B first, and then seeing if any follow on school is something I am interested in afterwards. So, since I wont be home in time to make this semester, I'm going to enroll and take the spring semester. IF I can get hired on part time as an EMT, then I think I would go ahead and go for the Paramedic AAS. If I cant find a job as an EMT B, then I would go ahead and get my Advanced or EMT-I cert to make myself more marketable to employers.

A couple of you guys mentioned not having high expectations for EMT, and I totally agree. When I enlisted in the military, I had these grandiose dreams of an action packed lifestyle of slaying dragons and such, but after awhile I got the reality check that I needed. I no longer am in love with the "idea" of a profession, but rather just want to find something that I find relatively satisfying. And, with a wife that works, no children, and the GI Bill, I can always take a break from full time work to advance my education in my field (this is FAR easier said than done, but can still be done).

In the meantime, what do you guys suggest I do to prepare myself for this career? I'm not sure if being TCCC qualified will help, but I'll be sure to throw it on my resume. Should I take first aid/CPR classes while I wait? Is there a book or manual to read up on before I go? Do ride alongs work just like police ride alongs?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Last edited by curlyburns5; 05-08-12 at 09:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post

In the meantime, what do you guys suggest I do to prepare myself for this career? I'm not sure if being TCCC qualified will help, but I'll be sure to throw it on my resume. Should I take first aid/CPR classes while I wait? Is there a book or manual to read up on before I go? Do ride alongs work just like police ride alongs?
    Get CPR certified. American Heart Association was preferred here.

Make sure your immunizations are current.

Maybe brush up on the skeletal structure and location of the internal organs. I got a 96% in the course but would have earned a 97% if I had this tip.

Feedback Score
    I just got my EMT-B a few months ago and am looking for a place to practice. I plan on doing B-P in the Fall. I have been told I should have 2-4 years as a Basic first. But know guys that have done it the way I want to. I have been taking some more continuing Ed class while I wait and I can tell you this. From the ITLS and ACLS courses I took my inexperience showed. But at the same time I passed and keep up with more experienced Basics and Medics. It also seems you get props from instructors cause you are showing you are there to learn and do the best you can. So I would say get your Basic and find a department or company to work on and see what you think. Also never stop reading and learning on your own.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Having already been trained in TCCC/CLS I believe you'll have an edge over some of the other students not having been formerly trained in anything medically oriented. That being said, civilian ems is much different then how the Military does things (i.e EMT-B's don't start IV's in most counties).

As far as what you can do now to prepare for the EMT program, find out which CPR/First aid the emt programs require (it usually is a pre-req) and get that out of the way ASAP.

Also, find out what vaccinations the program requires for clinicals and if you haven't gotten those through the Military already, get them now.

Then get started reading the req'd material for the EMT program. I read out of the Brady Emergency Care book by Michael O'Keefe which is at the 12th edition now.
    Last edited by Ouroborous; 05-08-12 at 10:24.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    My biggest piece of advice is to go/live in an area where medics are paid a living wage.

Here in PA, they make bupkis usually. Out west I think most EMT-Ps are fairly well paid.

I agree with those that said get your EMT-P now, it's a long program but worth it, especially if your GIBill will pay for it. Additionally there are several schools that offer a BS in EMS Management, so that's something to consider as well. University of Pittsburgh is one.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Paramedic here. 10 years on a professional FD, 6 years as a SWAT medic as well. Love it. Best job on earth.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast