Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a rifle ID'd. Please help?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I need a rifle ID'd. Please help?

Heres some photos of a rifle a friend just bought. Does anyone know what it is? What caliber is it chambered in? What would the value be roughly?
    Thanks,
    Brandon

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."
    -Psalm 144:1
    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord, and a gun; you might need 'em both, if you show up here not welcome, son."
    -Josh Thompson

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Looks like a sporterized Mauser possibly Argentine. If so the most likely caliber would be 8x57 or 7x57 mauser, although some were chambered in .308. This is assuming it hasnt been rebarreled/chambered. A trip to a gunsmith is in order.

The value is largely dependent on who did the sporterizing, parts/stock used, etc.
    Last edited by ryan; 02-22-12 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    That appears to be a mauser m48 action, I cant speculate on caliber.
    "I know enough about a lot but enough to get me in trouble none the less." Me

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Value isnt really an issue, he just wants to know what caliber. Its a very clean and smooth weapon, in very great shape. Thanks guys.
    "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."
    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord, and a gun; you might need 'em both, if you show up here not welcome, son."
    -Josh Thompson

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith_shoot View Post
    Value isnt really an issue, he just wants to know what caliber. Its a very clean and smooth weapon, in very great shape. Thanks guys.
    Im just making sure you saw my edit above.

The only way to be 100% sure what it's chambered in is to have a gunsmith make a lead mold of the chamber and mic it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Im just making sure you saw my edit above.

The only way to be 100% sure what it's chambered in is to have a gunsmith make a lead mold of the chamber and mic it.
    Gotcha. Would trying an actual round in the chamber work? I would remove the bolt first, then try an 8mm round for fit.
    -Josh Thompson

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I can't advocate that, but removing the bolt would be a safer way to do it.

This thing could be chambered in something crazy like 8mm/06 and the 8x57 would chamber or seem to anyway.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith_shoot View Post
    Gotcha. Would trying an actual round in the chamber work? I would remove the bolt first, then try an 8mm round for fit.
    I personally wouldn't mess around with this rifle at all - take it to a highly qualified gun smith.

People did all sorts of crazy things with some of these older rifles, and you really don't want to be taking any chances here....

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    I personally wouldn't mess around with this rifle at all - take it to a highly qualified gun smith.

People did all sorts of crazy things with some of these older rifles, and you really don't want to be taking any chances here....
    This.

Feedback Score
    It is definitely some sort of 98 Mauser variant.

Are there any markings on the receiver rail or barrel?

Markings are key to finding out what "flavor" of Mauser you have and thus determining caliber.

- brickboy240

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast