Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Exchange guide to buying and selling guns

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Question Equipment Exchange guide to buying and selling guns

Aside from the legal issues of owning or shipping a gun to certain areas, has anyone found FFL dealers to be peculiar or much more particular than what laws call for when transferring longguns?

For example, I recently sold an AR lower and even though it's perfectly legal for an individual to ship a longgun or lower to an FFL, this buyer's FFL wanted an FFL to FFL transfer. I also just sold a shotgun and the buyer's FFL wanted a copy of MY drivers license to transfer the gun. Not a big deal but I wasn't aware they would need this. Maybe it would help if buyers would ask their FFL if they have any special requirements of the seller before shipping the gun.

Most people are reasonable and understand things like this will come up and some dealers may just want to be extra cautious; but it could help people understand before buying and selling that there may be some ambiguous or redundant expectations met along the way. Luckily, I've been able to work through the issues on the buyer's end but I could see this creating some contentious situations with an unwitting seller and/or an impatient buyer.

FYI:
    While the USPS is not supposed to refuse to ship or hassle you over long gun shipments, I've seen threads of people having problems with them ignorantly doing so. I would recommend sparing yourself the headache and using UPS or FedEx unless you know the employees personally. There was one occasion a UPS clerk I spoke to over the phone erroneously insisted that all guns be shipped next day, even though that only applies to handguns. A talk with his supervisor cleared that up.

Would a sticky guide to buying and selling be in order?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sqwerl View Post
    Aside from the legal issues of owning or shipping a gun to certain areas, has anyone found FFL dealers to be peculiar or much more particular than what laws call for when transferring longguns?
    Normal (with HG's as well). They either won't do it, don't like to do it or have a bunch of hoops you must jump through before they will do it.

I think most people are aware of the above so it shouldn't come as a suprise to them that FFL dealers will do things that best fit their business.

C4

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Maybe there aren't as many of these situations as I feel like there could be. I just think it could help smooth transactions and require less moderator intervention in precarious situations that could've been prevented.

Perhaps the M4C community is just more mature in that respect so maybe I should be posting this on TOSs
    Last edited by Waylander; 05-09-12 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Another problem in making a sticky FAQ on shipping privately to an ffl is the variance in shipping locations. We have three or four ups/fedex places in town. Here is my experience with them:
    1. 3 won't handle them period as store policy. I can't force a private business to change their policy even if it is more restrictive than UPS.
    2. The fourth will ship them if you find the owner or good employee.
    3. The fourth won't ship them if cpt. Dufas is there and is scared of guns. Again I can't force him to ship it for me.

The usps/fedex/ups all have their firearms rules online for people to find but individual locations can be more restrictive at their discretion.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    Another problem in making a sticky FAQ on shipping privately to an ffl is the variance in shipping locations. We have three or four ups/fedex places in town. Here is my experience with them:
    1. 3 won't handle them period as store policy. I can't force a private business to change their policy even if it is more restrictive than UPS.
    2. The fourth will ship them if you find the owner or good employee.
    3. The fourth won't ship them if cpt. Dufas is there and is scared of guns. Again I can't force him to ship it for me.

The usps/fedex/ups all have their firearms rules online for people to find but individual locations can be more restrictive at their discretion.
    That's not surprising. You definitely can't force them to do anything they don't want to do.

I can see the problems with a sticky 'guide' but at least people need to be aware of the ambiguities of FFLs and especially shipping services. I haven't seen any threads on EE concerning negative feedback like "dufus told me he would have my gun to my FFL by Tuesday. It's Wednesday and my gun still aint here cuz he screwed up and didn't ship by FFL" or "morun claimed he had to travel 100 miles just to find a shipper." Not saying that's never happened or won't happen, just trying to clear up confusion.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I did not really want to start a new thread, just in case there another one, but:

How does a FFL to FFL transfer work? Do I bring the lower or complete AR to the FFL pay what he asks, then he ships it? Or do I get the shipping label, and he ships it out?

Just to confirm, if the buyers FFL does not require a FFL to ship to them, I can just send it through the mail? I know, my UPS center will ship guns, as I just went with a friend to ship out our buddies shotgun for repairs.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    I did not really want to start a new thread, just in case there another one, but:

How does a FFL to FFL transfer work? Do I bring the lower or complete AR to the FFL pay what he asks, then he ships it? Or do I get the shipping label, and he ships it out?

Just to confirm, if the buyers FFL does not require a FFL to ship to them, I can just send it through the mail? I know, my UPS center will ship guns, as I just went with a friend to ship out our buddies shotgun for repairs.
    Ive never heard of an FFL allowing the seller to obtain the shipping label prior to. Generally they'll just handle matters on their and and you pay them to ship it plus what ever transfer fees they stipulate. Easy peasy, unless your dealing with a moronic FFL who wants to make things unnecessarily difficult as others have noted.

As for shipping from a non FFL to a FFL there is only two states iirc that prohibit such transactions (NY being one of them) but if you go that route you can't ship USPS and both Fed ex mandates expedited overnight which costs a fortune. Not sure about UPS in that regards. But in the end its usually just cheaper to ship through an FFL and pay the transfer fee.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 07-07-14 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Ive never heard of an FFL allowing the seller to obtain the shipping label prior to. Generally they'll just handle matters on their and and you pay them to ship it plus what ever transfer fees they stipulate. Easy peasy, unless your dealing with a moronic FFL who wants to make things unnecessarily difficult as others have noted.

As for shipping from a non FFL to a FFL there is only two states iirc that prohibit such transactions (NY being one of them) but if you go that route you can't ship USPS and both Fed ex mandates expedited overnight which costs a fortune. Not sure about UPS in that regards. But in the end its usually just cheaper to ship through an FFL and pay the transfer fee.
    Thanks.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I just sold a rifle on Gunbroker and the buyer wants a copy of my drivers license and the serial number of the rifle. I am not comfortable with the copy of my license but am o.k. with giving the buyer the serial number. Has anyone had this happen before?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    I just sold a rifle on Gunbroker and the buyer wants a copy of my drivers license and the serial number of the rifle. I am not comfortable with the copy of my license but am o.k. with giving the buyer the serial number. Has anyone had this happen before?
    Lots of people and it is completely normal. If you're that concerned about it, make a copy and take a sharpie to your address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast