Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remove Colt sear block

Feedback Score
    I know there are a lot of Colt fans here, but this is the kind of thing that makes me not want to buy Colt EVER! LMT or Noveske for me...thank you very much! Not tier 1? I'll get by.
    "If I must choose between peace and righteousness, I choose righteousness" - Theodore Roosevelt

Feedback Score
    I have a SBR I need to have the sear block removed, or at least cut to allow a 16 carrier. Drives me nuts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The sear block was a preemptive strike by Colt in an effort to avoid both anti-firearm legislation in Congress and product liability law suits... The block was designed as an integral part of the lower receiver to prevent any factory full auto parts, to include the bolt carrier from working in the rifle... Additionally where it was positioned with an oversize pin, it was designed to prevent the drilling of the receiver for the auto sear... Combine that with a oversize front take down pin and a oversize fire control group, and you have a receiver that is very hard to convert to full auto with military m-16 parts...

I believe several AR smiths offer to remover the block and machine some type of filler for a small fee... At the same time they can drill the front take down pin if needed too...

Just my .02
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    And since the thread has already drifted into "why"....

Colt got a huge bailout from the Conneticut state legislature, but with the caveat that Colt not sell "assault rifles" to civillians.

That's the period after 1989 where they removed the bayonet lug from the rifles and started putting the block in there, when the "green box" became a "blue box", and the name changed from AR-15 to Colt Sporter.

They could then go and tell the state legislature that they no longer sold "assault rifles" to civillians.

They haven't put this awful steel sear block in their rifles for at least 10 years.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodyn View Post
    I know there are a lot of Colt fans here, but this is the kind of thing that makes me not want to buy Colt EVER! LMT or Noveske for me...thank you very much! Not tier 1? I'll get by.

Your LMT and Noveske is also blocked.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodyn View Post
    This type of sear block is no longer used in Colt's ARs. They stopped using it ten years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Your LMT and Noveske is also blocked.
    Although blocked in the sense that they will not accept full auto parts without removing quite a bit of material, I am sure that you know the the block that they use does not prevent the use of a FA BCG or a after market two stage trigger like the early Colt sear block does...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    This type of sear block is no longer used in Colt's ARs. They stopped using it ten years ago...

Although blocked in the sense that they will not accept full auto parts without removing quite a bit of material, I am sure that you know the the block that they use does not prevent the use of a FA BCG or a after market two stage trigger like the early Colt sear block does...

That is true but if you just want to use a FA carrier, then you can just remove the top piece of the block.

As far as the match trigger, IMO nobody needs one in a fighting gun. That has always been my position and always will be.

When someone brings up the RDIAS issue, they completely lose all credibility on any AR15 subject as far as I'm concerned.

There are plenty of Colt lowers that do not have a pinned in block which can be used for a match trigger.

People hype this into some big dramatic issue where there is no issue.

Feedback Score
    Just buy an LMT and avoid all the Colt issues completely.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim2L View Post
    Just so we are clear... At the time that Colt was making AR-15 Sporters with hardened steel sear blocks, LMT was not even producing an AR style semi-auto rifle for civilian sales...

They ceased the practice ten years ago...

The currently produced Colt's, LMT's, & Noveske's, are all manufactured with extra material, call it a block if you will, in their lower receivers... That is how they can feel safe using a M-16 BCG, because without significant machining, the parts necessary for full automatic fire, will not fit into the lower receiver...

If you are looking for an very high quality newly manufactured rifle, Colt's, LMT's, & Noveske's will all fit the bill nicely...

Buck

How did we get this far off track ???

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim2L View Post
    You aren't "avoiding all the issues" with a LMT as it is blocked to prevent the use of a RDIAS.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast